Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Ward

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 46>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

With the exception of our most important game in the last 5 years against Denmark where he was a fcukin embarrassment....however the blame for that night most go to MonROy. He has done well in fairness. Going forward would like to utilise Doherty @ left back
Give over you bellend. 

Random YBIGGER:

"Jaysus that war in Syria is really escalating. It's starting to cause me some worry that geopolitical events are starting to intensify for the worse. Are we headed for WWIII?"

John Wick:
 "Well, if we didnt have such a dinosaur of a manager then none of this would have happened. MONROYS lack of international diplomacy and tactical nous have left us all badly exposed"

LOL

I admire his consistency.

Sponsored Links

DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Whole team was poor against Denmark, don't think he was much worse than the rest bar a poor mistake when he was bizarrely asked to play as a centre back. Our opposite full back had a far worse game imo. In any case, he's arguably been our best player in the EPL this year, a key player in a high-flying Burnley side.

He also literally handed Eriksen the second goal, and the tie, when playing left back in the first half. 

Wards a half-decent option at left-back, but in our first choice back line, I think he’s still the weak link. 
I don't remember any handball?

I was thinking that myself. I was at the game and I don't remember any Eriksen goals from a penalty or from a freekick as a result of a handball...

Edited by DangerHere - 19 Apr 2018 at 12:37pm
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:52pm

fair play to Stephen ward , he was a liability at a time during the trap years....

he's got better and a regular irish player in the premier league, still is a bit of a liability , he can make bad mistakes, not as much as he used to
Come on Irelind
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:23pm
He belies the suggestion that players cannot improve once they reach a certain age. While I'm still not confident that he wont make a howler when ever in possession of the ball I have much admiration for what he has achieved given his limitations. Some credit must be given to MON for picking him in the win against Germany when he was in club wilderness - he seems to have kicked on since that game.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

He belies the suggestion that players cannot improve once they reach a certain age. While I'm still not confident that he wont make a howler when ever in possession of the ball I have much admiration for what he has achieved given his limitations. Some credit must be given to MON for picking him in the win against Germany when he was in club wilderness - he seems to have kicked on since that game.

The Wickmeister 2000 won't like that bit
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:40pm
You also have to remember that it's not like he was a defender as a kid. He was a centre forward repurposed as a left back. That's arguably the most impressive thing about him.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

You also have to remember that it's not like he was a defender as a kid. He was a centre forward repurposed as a left back. That's arguably the most impressive thing about him.
No, that would be his nose.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

His last competitive game for his country undid a lot of the good form he has shown this season unfortunately.

He was one of a few that had a particularly bad game that night. Cyrus Christie springs to mind, and with Ryan Fredricks out in front of him at Fulham there is a genuine potential that Cyrus will be looking for another club this summer. I also think MON's strategy had more to do with that result than any individual performance.

Fredericks is out of contract at the end of the season. He's been the outstanding right-back in the Championship this season and is expected to join a Premier League team in the summer, with Arsenal and West Ham having been linked. Christie was signed, nominally, as his replacement, which he will be next year, barring a situation where Fulham are promoted and Fredericks spurns the advances of established PL sides and signs a new deal.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 19 Apr 2018 at 8:37pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:36pm

Gary Kelly was the same. Brilliant striker underage and then played RB for most of his career.

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Gary Kelly was the same. Brilliant striker underage and then played RB for most of his career.

Kelly was a cut above Ward tho  PFA team of the year twice iirc. Over 500 games for LeedsL most in the top 5. Great full back.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:56pm
Players like Stephen Ward can do fine in teams who keep things simple and not over complicate things.

I.E. Burnley as we all know tend to play a direct brand of football, thus they have very few phases of play in comparison to most other sides in the league. 

Under Dyche as a unit Burnly are defensively very strong,a prime example is when they haven't got the ball most of Burnley's players retreat and pack out their half which in turn limits the space where they can be exploited! If you bombard Burnley's defense they're all well equipped to win ariel battles too.

Liverpool, Man City, Bayern etc all the top teams tend to try and win the ball back as high up as possible in the oppositions half, if Burnley done this no doubt the majorty of their team would get exposed beyond belief.

I never rated Ward (but fair play to him for his up turn in form) but I suppose if O'Neill was clever he would see what Dyche is doing and try replicate their systems because we've 4/5 internationals on Burnley's books now. 

Edited by Green Devil - 19 Apr 2018 at 9:58pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:09pm
Saw 30 new posts about Wardy- thought he was dead or after being named in team of the year or something. 

The game V Denmark- Due to MON's inspired substitutions, Ward finds himself in a structureless team and proceeds to make errors, some of those errors while playing as a left sided CB in a back 3 while already 2 goals down, having never played the position before, getting zero protection from a non existent midfield, who were watching from the stands after MON cleverly withdrew them at HT. 

For Burnley, one of the most well drilled teams in the EPL, Ward plays every week he is fit, does very little wrong, is remarkably consistent and generally thought of as a key member of the Burnley first 11. The difference could well be a manager with a basic knowledge of both tactics and his player's limitations as well as their strengths.  

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Saw 30 new posts about Wardy- thought he was dead or after being named in team of the year or something. 

Excuse you, was actually named the 6th best fullback in the league according to football 365.

And we say the English get carried away about their players 
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 3:44pm
Did any Irish player score a better goal in the Prem this season than his against Chelsea, on what I think may have been the opening day where they won 2-3? 
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 5:44pm
McClean's goal against West Ham in January?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvNoODsitQ8
takes a massive deflection though
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 6:36pm
I reckon there's a pretty good chance that Ward has released that audio clip on purpose and is set to retire.

If this proves to be the case, then fair play to him for trying to out these two frauds who are strangling the life out of our team at the moment.

Ward is 33, and has become increasingly injury prone, he's not been an automatic starter for Burnley this year, he'll prolong his club career by hanging up his international boots.

There's a very good chance that he has played his last game for Ireland. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 6:58pm
I highly doubt he's leaked it on purpose. It seems a pretty simple case of Ward's mates getting onto him about it, him indulging them, and then one of his mates trying to act the big dick by sending it to people outside of their circle. Things obviously snowball from there.
We're decent enough..
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I highly doubt he's leaked it on purpose. It seems a pretty simple case of Ward's mates getting onto him about it, him indulging them, and then one of his mates trying to act the big dick by sending it to people outside of their circle. Things obviously snowball from there.

I'd agree that it was a mate who leaked it, except the timing of Ward pulling out of the squad is a bit suspicious. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 46>
  Share Topic