You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Ward

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 46>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:05pm
I tracked him quite a bit last Friday. His positional sense was often quite poor. 
The Slovakian winger came in three or four times in the first half on his blind side when he was caught ball watching or getting too close to the CB's man.

He's a decent tackler, a good header of the ball and generally his distribution is better than what he showed tonight.

However, unless he starts learning where to be, he's going to struggle to keep his position for us.
Sponsored Links

Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 6:06pm

He was all over the shop at times last night. Maybe he was overwhelmed but I’d certainly give the lad the benefit of the doubt and put it down to nerves/ being overwhelmed by the occasion.

Mick rates him highly and he’s been doing very well in the EPL over the past year so he is obviously a very decent player. He is still young and inexperienced; he will come good, give him time.   

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 6:10pm
Id rather him there than Kilbane all the same Thumbs Up

Personally because we were under so much pressure Dunne & Given wouldnt of had time to talk to Ward & tell him what he should be doing and where he should be more!!!

Against Andorra O'Shea and St Ledger will be back , the game will be played at a much slower pace and we'll be in control hopefully , so im sure Ward will look at tonights game again and put what he didnt do today into practice in the next game....Sure thats what gaining experience is all about and look he's played his part in two clean sheets in two huge games so it cant be all that bad
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 3:39am

Yeah, he was shocking last night with his positioning, and it is easy to say he's rubbish and should be dropped. But I cast my mind back to when Kenny Cunningham started. He was rubbish too, and if I remember correctly was once voted the premiership's worst player....but he went on to be captain!!! I'll give the lad the benefit of the doubt, but I think it is important to get cover in too. Like Clarke for example. Just in case

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 3:52am
I never thought i'd be calling for the return of Kilbane, but he's a lot steadier than what Ward has been over the past 2 games

Hopefully Cunningham and Clark can make the step up to international football cos it doesn't seem that Wards the answer
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 4:17am
I still have never seen Wardy as a LB. I know he's been there for Wolves more so than any other position but you have to remember that was never his natural position. He was originally a striker then played out of the left wing, and was even bought as a winger for Wolves until he put in a few good performances deputising at LB. If you ask him where he'd rather play you can be guarenteed he wouldn't say LB.

His positioning was shocking last night and it could have cost us a goal or two which isnt good enough in a game that big. He had a great chance and loads of time to put in a cross in around the 88th minute as well which he ballooned, looked very nervous al night in my opinion. 

I would be hopeful that Cunningham comes back from injury and straight back into a bit of form because unfortunately for Wardy I think that he is the better option to take over from Killer.
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
Dunne23 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 5:05am
I thought he did ok defensively against the Slovaks, but he was poor going up front and defending yesterday. His crossing was so poor, and he's too predictable with that left peg. He'll learn from that though Thumbs Up
Cotsy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cotsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 7:39am
Nerves got to him big style i think. Some of the criticism he has got has been way ott imo, his distribution was awful last night which is surprising as thats usually his strong point, give him time, 2 clean sheets like, swear we were hammered in both games. He'll come good and his ability to play in 3 or 4 different positions should see him in the squad for years to come.
Bohs Till I Die
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 7:44am
Poor games, but the talent is there - the Andorra game is a good one next up. But young players will have bad games they need time and patience.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 7:48am
Hope he will come good but over the last 2 games he has been poor as was said before andorra game could do him the world of good
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Cotsy Cotsy wrote:

Nerves got to him big style i think. Some of the criticism he has got has been way ott imo, his distribution was awful last night which is surprising as thats usually his strong point, give him time, 2 clean sheets like, swear we were hammered in both games. He'll come good and his ability to play in 3 or 4 different positions should see him in the squad for years to come.

I do agree with you in sentiment about he is a defender therefore 2 clean sheets stands to his credit. Which it does. But unfortunately by going walkies into the box all the time and leaving left full empty, meant McGeady had to track back all the time which severely limited us going forward. So yeah he kept another clean sheet, but at a cost.

Although I have no doubt this has been noticed and will be drilled into him. So I'm sure he will learn from this and grow.
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 7:56am
give him a chance FFS.

Lads were writing Kilbanes obituary last thursday and now after 2 games they are writing the obituary for Ward.

Don't forget we have a record 7 clean sheets in a row with Ward playing in some of them, against  Croatia, Russia, Slovakia, Italy, Scotland.
Dano View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 8:11am
Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

give him a chance FFS.

Lads were writing Kilbanes obituary last thursday and now after 2 games they are writing the obituary for Ward.

Don't forget we have a record 7 clean sheets in a row with Ward playing in some of them, against  Croatia, Russia, Slovakia, Italy, Scotland.

No thanks to Ward, we're writing an obituary for Ward as he was shocking on both games, that was the worst back to back defensive performance I've seen in a long time. I was in favor of him starting but I was wrong, without McGeady putting in a super shift we would have lost.

Now we're all tired of Kilbane, he can be liable for a very visible gaffe every 3 or 4 games but that aside he keeps to his position pretty well, is almost never skinned, has plenty of pace, a threat from set pieces and has a decent cross on him. We need a replacement for him as this will be his last campaign but Ward has shown.e is up to it

We have three other options for left back. I was really impressed with Stephen Kelly yesterday so I think it might be worth looking at O'Shea at left back in the next game or so, otherwise Clark and Cunningham are our hopes.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 1:47pm
Ward is definitely not the answer for LB.
Just watching the Slovakia match after I recorded it and he just makes too many mistakes to justify any starting position.
His crossing is absolutely shocking.

Either Greg Cunningham or Marc Wilson should be tried here.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 3:31am
Just watched the Russia match and Ward is one of the poorest players I have seen in a green jersey.
His positions sense is terrible. McGeady had to cover him on a few occasions. Even when caught out he didnt appear to care and just jogged back to get into position.

His distribution of the  ball would not be accepable at schoolboy level.
Ireland also had a number of good build up's where the final ball into the box was left to Ward and he fooked it up EVERY time.

I would have been one of the ones calling for Ward to be given a chance at Killers expense.
But he is absolutely useless.
If you dont believe me watch the match again.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Godot View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 9:29am
Goal.com's ratings of his performance against Spurs last Saturday. Supposedly their best player that day

Quote Stephen Ward 7.0

Never allowed Bale to go outside him, instead showed him into the posse of midfielders. Only error was being beaten by Walker

Clap

Edited by Godot - 15 Sep 2011 at 9:32am
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Godot Godot wrote:

Goal.com's ratings of his performance against Spurs last Saturday. Supposedly their best player that day

Quote Stephen Ward 7.0

Never allowed Bale to go outside him, instead showed him into the posse of midfielders. Only error was being beaten by Walker

Clap

For 1 of the goals......

Edited by Kerrzy - 15 Sep 2011 at 9:36am
magnumpi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magnumpi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 5:06am
was at the game, he was OK. did nothing spectacular.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 46>
  Share Topic