You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Ward

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 46>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloop John G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 4:58am
Ward played very well tonight and should have done enough to dislodge Kilbane.
Sponsored Links

DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 6:02am
Originally posted by JH91 JH91 wrote:

As much as I love Wardy, I thought he was poor tonight.
Good few slack passes and caught of position a few times.
Very good in the air though and two good clearences off his far post.
Seemed to drop deep a bit when Croatia had the ball out wide and let St Ledger press(dunno if that was tactics or not)
Interesting to see who will start against Slovakia. Can't see Wardy playing away to Russia so expect to see Kilbane in for the two.

I agree. He looked a little bit off colour and their right midfielder had a lot of space near our box a good few times. But then again, nobody was brilliant and it was a very cagey, kick about kind of affair, and I'd still have confidence in him if he was given the nod against Slovakia which to me anyway is a no brainer! I hope he gets to play. I'd feel a lot safer than if Kilbane was there
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 7:27am
I still think hes a bit loose defensively
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 7:47am
Originally posted by IrishPride IrishPride wrote:

I still think hes a bit loose defensively

Fair point...

He still has way more in his locker than Kilbane at this stage , defo deserve's to start against Slovakia imo....
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 9:54am
Looks as though Ward may have earned himself a starting place against Slovakia

Asked if Ward had done enough to justify a start next month, Trapattoni said: "Yes, I think so, because he showed good personality against a very dangerous opponent.

"Particularly in the first half, he played very well. I think after this test, he has confirmed we can have trust in him."

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BaileNuisBhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaileNuisBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 10:50am
Still think he will go with Kilbane, hope i'm wrong.
wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 12:05pm
kevin might have more perrrr-seee-nallll-eeee-teeeeee stillLOL (although unfortunately this isn't a laughing matter)
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 12:38pm
funny how trap didn't fancy him for ages, and now he's proved he can mix it with the big boys. Glad we're finally seeing a competent replacement for kilbane. great servant to irish football but we can't take a risk in these big two games and I think ward will be more than up to the challenge.
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
Sloop John G View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloop John G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 12:41pm
Kevin Kilbane. The bane of Irish fans everywhere. Pun intended.
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 1:19pm
Ward probably deserves his place v slovakia although i wouldnt be crying if killer got picked over him. A more attacking lb will probably be more suited to the slovakia game as they will probably sit and try and hit us on the counter. Ward's superior pace and attacking ability makes him more suited to the game imo. Still think trap will stick with kilbane though
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 1:40pm
I dont believe that Ward is the answer to our left back problem, However I would like to see him against the Slovakian's and Russians. He may prove me wrong..
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 1:45pm
Trap is f**kin gas "personality against a dangerous opponent" LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloop John G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 1:53pm
Sol-idi-ty.
Absolutely Use View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absolutely Use Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:13pm

Ward is going in stature with every game, if he starts for Wolves this season then he should be a cert, but i think Trap will go for Kilbane

Say nothing till you hear more
MaxWell View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxWell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Absolutely Use Absolutely Use wrote:

Ward is going in stature with every game, if he starts for Wolves this season then he should be a cert, but i think Trap will go for Kilbane

He wont beat elokobi to the LB spot unfortunatly, and now doyle is back his place upfront maybe gone too
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloop John G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 6:46am
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0812/1224302300576.html

Ward edging ahead of Kilbane in race to start in September.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloop John G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 7:23am
http://www.joe.ie/football/football-features/five-irish-players-facing-make-or-break-seasons-0014920-1

2. Stephen Ward (Wolves)

Ward enjoyed a breakthrough season with Wolves last year, when he featured in all but four of the club’s Premier League games – including 27 starts. Irish fans will now be hoping that the progress is carried into the international arena over the next few months.

Kevin Kilbane, for all his attributes, is not now, never has been and never will be an international class left back. Ward is the man in the best position to take up the mantle. He started three of the end-of-season internationals for Ireland but Kilbane was the trusted lieutenant for the only competitive fixture in June, the win over Macedonia which kept us in a strong position for qualification for Euro 2012.

“Zinedine” is long enough outside the Premier League now that he’s got used to life in the lower divisions while Ward, just turned 26, is on the way up. He needs a good start to the season with Wolves so that he can be given the nod by Trap for the final four Euro qualifiers, and the famously conservative Italian is seemingly ready to invest his faith. He said this week, “You saw that we finished last season with Ward. Every year we change things when it is possible to change. When we are certain that a new player gives us confidence and trust then we can change it. We need this situation, we need younger strength.”

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 10:09am
Goal
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 46>
  Share Topic