You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Ward

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 43444546>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOL Marc Wilson!LOL My nomination as the worst player to play for Ireland. 

I will see you with Paul Butler, and raise you with Joe Lapira.

Jon Macken! The worst ever
barnie slaven , not needed, didn't want to be there either.. wasted place in the squad....
Come on Irelind
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 2:31pm
Lapira and Butler were thrown in friendlies to see what they were like. There are plenty like them, although they are extreme examples.

According to Wikipedia, Wilson has 25 caps. 25! 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

barnie slaven , not needed, didn't want to be there either.. wasted place in the squad....

You could not be more wrong about Slaven. He was an odd enough pick but he is very proud of representing us.

Ps, sound bloke 

Edited by McG - 15 Mar 2019 at 2:32pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 2:35pm
Marc Wilson is a very good player. And as a number 3 was better than Ward.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 2:36pm

Lapira and Butler were thrown in friendlies to see what they were like. There are plenty like them, although they are extreme examples.

I think any formula for the worst player to represent us should include the number of caps divided by their impact. For example, McGeady has 92 appearances. There's loads of one hit wonders who were obviously brutal but what about the lads with tons of caps who never made much positive impact. 
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

You could not be more wrong about Slaven. He was an odd enough pick but he is very proud of representing us.

Ps, sound bloke 
I have come across a few interviews with him, he seems to be one of the good guys in football. A real character. He certainly wanted to play for us, it also seems he had bizarre affection for his dogs! Was it Cascarino who watched him howling and barking down the phone?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I think any formula for the worst player to represent us should include the number of caps divided by their impact. For example, McGeady has 92 appearances. There's loads of one hit wonders who were obviously brutal but what about the lads with tons of caps who never made much positive impact. 
Yeah, I find it hard to consider one-cap wonders. There has been plenty. I also get the feeling there will be more contenders for Wilson's coveted title.

Edited by pre Madonna - 15 Mar 2019 at 2:41pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 2:40pm
Paul Butler had a shocker of 45 minutes and was at fault for the 2 goals .
Hey never to be seen again .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 2:41pm
Wilson deserves more credit for his beard/hair combo
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 3:13pm
was curious to see Wilson's ratio of competitive vs friendly caps. per transfermarkt, of his 25 caps, 11 came in friendlies. alright player but ward was more consistent and crucially reliable/less injury problems
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 4:10pm

Ps, sound bloke 
I have come across a few interviews with him, he seems to be one of the good guys in football. A real character. He certainly wanted to play for us, it also seems he had bizarre affection for his dogs! Was it Cascarino who watched him howling and barking down the phone?

very proud he may well have been and also a nice bloke and i'm sure joe lapira was too but wasnt the debate about worse players than Stephen ward...
Come on Irelind
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 4:46pm

Ps, sound bloke 

very proud he may well have been and also a nice bloke and i'm sure joe lapira was too but wasnt the debate about worse players than Stephen ward...

was at the infamous Ireland-Ecuador game in NJ...funny to look at the teamsheet now almost 12 years later and see some names still involved/recently involved (shane long, murphy, colin doyle, Stephen gleeson) versus the pure ridiculous ones like lapira, and who could forget joe o'cearuill who is likely in the discussion for worst/most random players. other players involved were kilbane, Stephen Kelly, Stephen hunt, kevin doyle, andy Keogh. murphy had a nice cross for doyles goal
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 6:35pm

Ps, sound bloke 

You said he didn't want to be there, I disagreed.
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:17pm

Joe  o'cearuill certainly got around . Haven’t heard his name in years . 
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

Joe  o'cearuill certainly got around . Haven’t heard his name in years . 

That is some bleak list of clubs
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 10:39pm
Good interview with Ward and Stephen Hunt. Interesting comments regarding his retirement. Seems if Mick wanted him he would've stuck around.

'Mick named me in his provisional squad which was brilliant. Then, I was waiting to see the final squad, speak to Mick and hear his thinking and after discussions with him, and my family, I feel this is the right time to retire from international football.'

bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 10:47am
Signed a 1 year deal with Stoke
BlackKat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 11:12am
Retires with immediate effect.

Thought he did well for Ireland especially in the latter years, had a great career. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 43444546>
  Share Topic