Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Ward

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 46>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

McClean is the player who should only be played on the left wing. He's pretty one-footed anyway, and is really only effective in that position. Robbie Brady is obviously versatile, and put in man-of-the match performance playing predominantly on the right against Spurs - which is where I'd play him against Serbia, with Hoolahan as the number 10.

I wouldn't play at left-back against anything other than a minnow, such as
Andorra, where you know you're going to dominate and be under no real defensive pressure. He's just not a natural defender.
I didn't watch this game, but it would seem he played on the left according to this;
Sponsored Links

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:31pm
He started on the left but was switched to the right fairly early on.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

He started on the left but was switched to the right fairly early on.
Fair enough. I still wouldn't have him anywhere but on the left wing.
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 10:45pm
according to sky sports had a quiet game until they moved him to the right midfield and then gave him mom against Spurs. Ideally you want both Brady and Mclean on the pitch for us and i think its the best way to achieve this. Having said that i think he will start Mcgeady
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 1:51pm
so much more positive in his approach while playing for Burnley. Making driving runs and taking risks with his passes forward. Whereas for Ireland he hoofs it forward the majority of the time. That is obviously coming from the management.

Probably burnley's best player in this match vs. Palace so far
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 2:21pm
Exactly what I have been saying for years... Ward IS an attacking left-back, however when playing for Ireland our full-backs aren't expected to attack, they're essentially auxiliary centre-backs.
We're decent enough..
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

so much more positive in his approach while playing for Burnley. Making driving runs and taking risks with his passes forward. Whereas for Ireland he hoofs it forward the majority of the time. That is obviously coming from the management.

Probably burnley's best player in this match vs. Palace so far

NBC had an interview with Dyche before the match and he said Burnley were now ready for the next stage of their development as a Premier league team and that stage was playing better football. It also won't do him any harm if he has future ambitions of getting the England job.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 2:27pm
Wardy
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 3:23pm
Once again showing that he's not a "hoofball merchant" when he isn't instructed to be...
We're decent enough..
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 3:27pm
It was against Moldova, in amongst the worst 6/7 teams in Europe a bit of perspective needed

Lets see how he does against Wales....

Edited by Green Devil - 07 Oct 2017 at 3:29pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 3:31pm
It has nothing to do with the opposition, he's performed in exactly the same way against better teams when he has been allowed to do so. It's the fact that people criticise him for doing something that MON usually instructs him (and our othet full-back) to do that irks me.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

It has nothing to do with the opposition, he's performed in exactly the same way against better teams when he has been allowed to do so. It's the fact that people criticise him for doing something that MON usually instructs him (and our othet full-back) to do that irks me.

It has nothing to do with the opposition

Moldova are dire, they us allowed the freedom of Dublin last night for the majority of the game.

Its pointless ignoring the opposition.....

Also hes had a hell of a lot of poor games in an Ireland shirt, despite an up turn in performances for the most part in the past 18months he would be easy to replace.

Edited by Green Devil - 07 Oct 2017 at 3:38pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 4:30pm
With who exactly?

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 5:11pm
Irelands most improved player in the last two years. Credit where it's due he's been fantastic.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

With who exactly?

O'Neill has had plenty of opportunities to at least give the likes of Cunningham, Doherty, Stevens etc even a chance to push Ward.

With all due respect currently, left back is one of a couple of positions in our team where it wouldn't take much to replace a regular.

I'm not a fan of Stephen Ward but credit where credit's due, he's a better player now than he was a few years ago.

Big test for him now Monday night! 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 6:50pm
Stevens, who was playing in L2 until a few months ago?
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Stevens, who was playing in L2 until a few months ago?

Technically a League 1 player when the summer internationals came around as well as being selected in the Football League's team of the season so hardly the equivalent of calling up a player from Wexford Youths.

oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:47pm
Ward has been doing the job ,last few hes been fine.perfect example of a player growing into a role and i feel he is our best choice lb now,but a look to the future and a younger lad after this campaign would be a prudent move.dont hold yor breath for changes if oneill and keane are still around though,clueless f**kers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 46>
  Share Topic