Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 425426427428429 465>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 10:05am
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 9:03am
McClean is back training with Wigan and could be passed fit to play tomorrow in the last League 1 game, so it looks like he will be available for June.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 9:18am
Opportunity to inch closer to the 100. He will do it Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 11:08am
For the 1st goal against Portugal, while McClean definitely should have not getting nutmegged and prevented the cross, we still had 9 players in the box with not one person marking Ronaldo.

He has no involvement in the second goal looking at the lighlights.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 11:23am
Personally, I'd play Doherty and Coleman as the two wing backs when both are fit, and play Collins, Duffy and Egan as the 3 centre backs.

But Doherty is injured so McClean is definitely a contender to start in June. Him or Stevens I'd say, I'm not sure Manning has done enough to contend for the jersey.

McClean has a lot to offer but has his limitations also, defensively he's not great and he does waste a fair amount of possession. But then his direct, aggressive style can be a positive and he's a likely as anyone to pop up with a goal or an assist. He's a better player than the division he played in this year suggests he is.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 11:31am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Personally, I'd play Doherty and Coleman as the two wing backs when both are fit, and play Collins, Duffy and Egan as the 3 centre backs.

But Doherty is injured so McClean is definitely a contender to start in June. Him or Stevens I'd say, I'm not sure Manning has done enough to contend for the jersey.

McClean has a lot to offer but has his limitations also, defensively he's not great and he does waste a fair amount of possession. But then his direct, aggressive style can be a positive and he's a likely as anyone to pop up with a goal or an assist. He's a better player than the division he played in this year suggests he is.

Agree with everything but the piece in bold.

I think this gets exaggerated a bit. What I find is that he plays the safe pass a lot more that somebody a bit more adventurous. 
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 11:59am
Back into the starting 11 for the last L1 game of the season 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 2:51pm
Grabs an assist, finishes the season with 9 goals 7 assists in the league (10/7 all comps)
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 5:52pm
Gets a lot of stick for his crossing abilities but I thought he put some great balls in to the box yesterday from both open play, and corners. I would have been critical of his crossing abilities myself in the past, so credit where it is due.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Gets a lot of stick for his crossing abilities but I thought he put some great balls in to the box yesterday from both open play, and corners. I would have been critical of his crossing abilities myself in the past, so credit where it is due.

He did yesterday but he is rightly criticized when he doesn't perform just like anyone else. He was absolutely horrendous in the previous 2 games. Not one cross met its target, like nowhere even near it bad. He was much improved yesterday but it shouldn't be lauded, as a professional footballer playing at the level he has for the past 15 years it should be one of the bare basics to be getting right. A solid performance yesterday doesn't take away from 2 stinkers he had prior to it.

Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

He did yesterday but he is rightly criticized when he doesn't perform just like anyone else. He was absolutely horrendous in the previous 2 games. Not one cross met its target, like nowhere even near it bad. He was much improved yesterday but it shouldn't be lauded, as a professional footballer playing at the level he has for the past 15 years it should be one of the bare basics to be getting right. A solid performance yesterday doesn't take away from 2 stinkers he had prior to it.

The point is that if Doherty isn’t playing there, he’s still probably our best option at left back when you consider our lot. The lad has a serious amount of caps for us, never gives less than 100 per cent, has some great performances for us but still always seems like an easy target for some (sure some head banger posted up in the match thread that his crossing was sh*te yesterday LOL)
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 11:13pm
I’m one that has been saying he shouldn’t be near the team for the last couple of years but have to say he was very good yesterday . If that quality of delivery could be replicated every game he’d be a starter for me . Don’t think it can be though but deserves to keep his place for Tuesday. Seems to not be confident in his pace anymore . Lots of times yesterday he had a chance to go outside his man but decided to cut back inside 
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 11:32pm
McClean's set-piece delivery was on a different level to the Cullen/Coleman/Hendrick combos of the previous two games. 

Whipped in at a low trajectory and hard - not the loopy high one defenders love. 

Set-pieces are (obviously) so important to this team.  

And there are two parts - the receiving: with Duffy, Collins, Egan etc we're sorted there, 
- and the delivery.  Amazingly this has been severely lacking.  Amazing because of how key set-pieces have been to us getting goals. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

The point is that if Doherty isn’t playing there, he’s still probably our best option at left back when you consider our lot. The lad has a serious amount of caps for us, never gives less than 100 per cent, has some great performances for us but still always seems like an easy target for some (sure some head banger posted up in the match thread that his crossing was sh*te yesterday LOL)

You have to wonder what game people are watching, his crossing was terrible yesterday and embarrassing over his entire ireland career. 

There are pros and cons to mcclean but crossing the ball has never been a pro. 

Where do you come up with the stuff you come out with? Seriously man. Whacky would be an understatement.
I love beer gardens
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

You have to wonder what game people are watching, his crossing was terrible yesterday and embarrassing over his entire ireland career. 

There are pros and cons to mcclean but crossing the ball has never been a pro. 
We know you don’t like him, no need to embarrass yourself with nonsense to prove it. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 8:29am
Yeah he probably sent in a couple of poor crosses, I know there was one sent in early in the game but then swung in that beaut of an inswinger which the Scottish defender managed to clear for the corner which lead to the first goal. Put in two more top corners in the first half which Duffy and himself nearly scored from.

One thing about all them corners in the first half is Jack Hendry cannot defend a corner to save his life. Just completely loses Duffy for the first goal, same with the one Gordon saves from Duffy. On the follow up corner McKenna switches markers with him so Hendry is marking Collins who gets in behind him and probably would have scored if Gordon didn't get a hand to it.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 8:41am
He had a couple poor ones but the good ones were absolutely excellent, also stuck the one in for Hogan's goal that was ruled out. 

I still think he's a liability defensively at wing back but he was good on Saturday. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 9:00am
I've always maintained his crossing isn't as bad as people make it out to be. His delivery had a minimum 7/10 success rate against Scotland and he's usually good for one dangerous cross whipped in at speed to a dangerous area in any given game.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 425426427428429 465>
  Share Topic