You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 413414415416417 465>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Work rate is fine but there needs to be end product to go with it otherwise it is pointless.
That is what has frustrated me with McClean at times with Ireland in recent years.
I've not seen enough of him with Stoke to know if it's there at club level. If Stoke want rid of him then it might suggest it is missing, though equally he might not fit the system they want to play now. 

In fairness, McClean has actually been one of our more productive players during these barren times, when he has still been able to score and assist, even if it was more prolific a few years back.

Hes definitely been one of the best performing players in the last 5 years or so. The caveat being its been during the worst decline in ireland football in living memory. But he was one of few that stepped up.

In the scoring at assists he's been good rather than great really. 11 goals (5 of which in friendlies) and just the 3 assists in 83 caps for all those crossing  attempts.

As said in this thread, mcclean is a work horse and will go down as one of the highest ever capped irish players, so credit where credit is due. 

Frightful thought would be that we would definitely have been a worse team without him and I'm saying that as a reflection on how bad ireland have been rather than any criticism of mcclean.

Explain this?

We qualified in 2012 and then again in 2016 where we got to the last 16 before being knocked out by the hosts and finalists. (Basically back to back Euro's - which we have never done before).

So I don't understand how you think this was a decline where in fact it was one of the most successful periods because we actually qualified for a tournament.

Your comments have very little credibility.

The European Championship finals have gone from 4 teams to 8 teams (1980) to 16 teams (1996) to 24 teams (2016).
That makes it very difficult to compare the achievement of qualifying for European Championship tournament finals over the years.

Edited by Mulvanystrasse - 16 Jul 2021 at 10:39pm
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 10:45pm

Work rate is fine but there needs to be end product to go with it otherwise it is pointless.
That is what has frustrated me with McClean at times with Ireland in recent years.
I've not seen enough of him with Stoke to know if it's there at club level. If Stoke want rid of him then it might suggest it is missing, though equally he might not fit the system they want to play now. 

In fairness, McClean has actually been one of our more productive players during these barren times, when he has still been able to score and assist, even if it was more prolific a few years back.

Hes definitely been one of the best performing players in the last 5 years or so. The caveat being its been during the worst decline in ireland football in living memory. But he was one of few that stepped up.

In the scoring at assists he's been good rather than great really. 11 goals (5 of which in friendlies) and just the 3 assists in 83 caps for all those crossing  attempts.

As said in this thread, mcclean is a work horse and will go down as one of the highest ever capped irish players, so credit where credit is due. 

Frightful thought would be that we would definitely have been a worse team without him and I'm saying that as a reflection on how bad ireland have been rather than any criticism of mcclean.

Explain this?

We qualified in 2012 and then again in 2016 where we got to the last 16 before being knocked out by the hosts and finalists. (Basically back to back Euro's - which we have never done before).

So I don't understand how you think this was a decline where in fact it was one of the most successful periods because we actually qualified for a tournament.

Well we haven't qualified for the World Cup for 24 years (realistically we won't qualify this time round)

The 2012 euros had extended number of qualifiers I believe and we did qualify as you mentioned. Sadly we were the worst team in the tournament and scored a solitary goal. We were the first team home by all accounts. 

2016 I would agree that we did ok. The Sweden game being a real highlight and Hoolahan scoring one of irelands best ever goals. The Italy game was also a highlight and probably the best moment of Robbie bradys career. Italy had already qualified for the next round at that point and celebrated with the irish players. But still a good moment.

Since 2016 the ageing team has been in free fall. Ageing players like whelan, Walters, Shane Long etc not being replaced with younger players coming through, also dramatically underperforming players like hendrick remaining mainstays.

So I would say we have been in slow decline since 2002 and accelerated decline since 2016.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 12:54am
We haven't qualified for the World Cup for 24 years? Get your calculator out before you try to make a serious post. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 1:16am
2012 Euros was not an expanded format. 16 teams.  2016 was 24 teams.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

We haven't qualified for the World Cup for 24 years? Get your calculator out before you try to make a serious post. 

So we last qualified for the World Cup in 2002 with the next World Cup set for 2022 in Qatar which I said we are unlikely to qualify for now that we have lost to Luxembourg, still have the likes of Portugal to play twice and the team is rebuilding.

Which then takes us to the 2026 World Cup in USA Canada and Mexico being our most likely chance. This will take us to the 24 year mark... if we qualify.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

2012 Euros was not an expanded format. 16 teams.  2016 was 24 teams.

What really stood out in the 2012 campaign verus some other near misses in the past was our ability to draw Estonia in the playoff instead of likes of Portgual 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 11:23am

Explain this?

why are you mentioning 2012 and 2016 when he's referencing the last 5 years 2017-2021?
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 11:28am
Stoke or seemly willing to let him go out on loan with Wigan & Bolton interested. According to a few accounts on the bird app anyway.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 12:28pm
In most cases a manager that doesn't rate a player or see them fit into the team would just drop them to the u23s and pretty much forget about him.

O'Neil seems to be actively trying to offload mcclean before the window shuts. 

Whether you like or dislike mcclean he's always been the better option available to ireland on the left wing. 

However, I think he's shot himself in the foot here, Stoke are an average team in the championship, I would be surprised if another championship team would like a 32 year old player thats not that technically good and with a history of tomfoolery on social media to put it lightly.

Personally I still think hes the best option for ireland on the left or maybe left back in the short term but I would rather see us invest time in a player like Manning or even oshea in the left back position 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 1:21pm
Bolton rumour unfounded apparently. Wigan possible, he's still highly regarded by their fans after his previous time there. As he is on £20,000 a week, the reality is that few if any League One clubs could afford him unless he goes on loan and Stoke pay a significant slice of his wages. Stoke would prefer a permanent deal as he has only a year left on his contract and could walk away for nothing at the end of the season.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 1:37pm
I hope all the people who were applauding his sh*t housery are happy now. He's rotting with the kids at Stoke, hasn't had a pre season under his belt, is not match fit and his best hope of a new club is League 1 Wigan, despite the earlier ridiculous claims that PL clubs would be in for him.

Mcclean in L1 isnt going to be much use to us. Best bet would be to go with the younger Manning who has made an excellent start at Swansea.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 1:42pm
I wouldn't say he's no use to us, he's one of the few players who actually puts in a shift every time he puts the jersey on.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 6:31pm
Wigan and Bolton. But apparently Bolton don't even want him.

And there were lads on here convinced he would be heading back to the Premier League. LOL

I like James, I think a lot of Irish fans will always have a lot of time for him. But it's time to be realistic about his future prospects.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 7:14pm
He can do better than League 1 anyway. Would need to leave the UK prob. Might not be such a bad thing for him.
I love beer gardens
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 7:25pm
He loves the Queen too much to part from her domain Heart
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 3:28pm
MoN has not forgiven him for playing too much for Ireland when just recovering from injury and missing the end of last season.
Despite being Stoke's player of the season two years ago, I cannot see anyway back for him at Stoke.
In recent times, he's mostly annoyed many of the fans with his twitter nonsense, giving credence to what many had said when he joined, that he brings too much baggage to his club. 

Despite his limited ability,  he's always given terrific application wherever he's gone, so hopefully there's  a club for him somewhere. Wigan are rumoured to be interested, or maybe Rowett will sign him again and take him to Millwall. No club will want to pay a fee for him now. Unless he takes a substantial pay cut, he could end up stewing at Stoke in a wasted year.

He's still got much to offer Ireland, but he needs to be playing.

Edited by Stoked Up - 16 Aug 2021 at 3:29pm
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 3:47pm
Cardiff with mick?him or brady
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

MoN has not forgiven him for playing too much for Ireland when just recovering from injury and missing the end of last season.
Despite being Stoke's player of the season two years ago, I cannot see anyway back for him at Stoke.
In recent times, he's mostly annoyed many of the fans with his twitter nonsense, giving credence to what many had said when he joined, that he brings too much baggage to his club. 

Despite his limited ability,  he's always given terrific application wherever he's gone, so hopefully there's  a club for him somewhere. Wigan are rumoured to be interested, or maybe Rowett will sign him again and take him to Millwall. No club will want to pay a fee for him now. Unless he takes a substantial pay cut, he could end up stewing at Stoke in a wasted year.

He's still got much to offer Ireland, but he needs to be playing.

I suspect Its got very little to this, more that he's a limited player on the top end of the Stoke salary scale. MON would want to get in two players on what mcclean is on.

Mccleans football career is winding down and he's not as effective as he was two years ago. His nonsense on social media is likely speeding up his career trajectory.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 413414415416417 465>
  Share Topic