You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404405406407408 460>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 10:28am
good post there from Sid
, I’d be inclined to agree with a lot of that. No one though should be having their family threatened on line, awful stuff.
Sponsored Links

Dunne Leery View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne Leery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 11:43am
No doubt anti Irish abuse exists in the Uk mainly England and the West of Scotland,Almost exclusively from people from the lower classes in society.It also works the other way round , anti English abuse in Ireland .
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

First of all, nobody should have to suffer online death threats, no matter what their views, and no matter what they say

I've consistently supported James McClean's right to not wear a poppy, or turn away when God Save The Queen is being played, or believe that the British Army were an occupying force in the North

I'd even defend his right to quote Bobby Sands, as there was a sort of nobility to Sands' words, an extreme naivety and a hopeless romanticism, but you can see why these words are attractive to people

I think the abuse he took over all those did show up a really nasty, xenophobic, imperialist, anti-Irish streak in mainstream English society, which we all know exists

But when McClean posed for that picture with a balaclava, he seriously crossed a line

McClean used to play for Wigan

12 miles down the road from Wigan is Warrington

And the IRA blew up and killed two children there, anybody old enough to remember it will never forget it, and most of those not old enough to remember it know about it

The vast majority of English people are understandably quite touchy about things like the Warrington bomb - and McClean himself should understand that - if an English player came to Ireland and started posting pro-Loyalist messages, how would that go down

What if Derry City signed an English player, or a player from the Loyalist tradition, and they started praising British Army Paratroopers or Loyalists, how would that go down

If, as a footballer playing in England, you post a blatantly pro-IRA message like that, you WILL get serious pushback, and you deserve to

You certainly don't deserve to get death threats, and anybody who sends death threats is obviously scum, but, given the insane age of extreme opinions we live in, you likely will get them when you post something like that

James has chosen to play the social media game, he has chosen to become a lightning rod, and we all know what social media is like

If you do that, you WILL attract extreme opinion against you

And when you post a picture of yourself with a balaclava over your head mock teaching your children -  which was a clear impersonation of an IRA man - you're going to attract even more extreme opinion against you, and likely death threats

That doesn't make death threats right, but that is the world we live in

James McClean cannot not have known that, which begs the question, did he actual in some way want an extreme reaction

Did he want the notoriety, did he want to be a lightning rod, did he, on some weird level, actually want the death threats

I think he certainly wants the notoriety and attention

It is possible to believe that you should not have to receive death threats, and believe that McClean is at best a f**king eejit for posting that balaclava picture, and that he knew that such reaction would almost certainly be forthcoming

Perhaps he desired that victim complex and wanted more ways to justify it to himself

He may be an eejit, but he is not stupid as to the ways of the world

I agree regarding the whole balaclava picture situation and James himself has publicly apologised and admitted it was a idiotic thing to do. 

There is a bigger picture here. This has been happening long before social media was around. And what about the abuse, threats etc he received for 8 yrs solid prior to this post? This was solely based on him being Irish and from a Nationalist background. Other players like Quinn have came out and spoke about abuse they have received simply based on them being Irish.

Using one stupid social media post to diminish the other years of abuse he and his family have received is somewhat ignorant in my opinion. I'm not saying you personally but the lad should of been backed long before posting that picture. 

Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

His brother received an absolutely shocking message on social media last night that he read out. It's incredible the stuff they have to put up with. As they said at the end, the only way to stop this is for social media companies enforcing photo ID etc when setting up an account so that these scumbags are held accountable for what they say online.
Just after seeing the message that Patrick McClean got sent and it’s absolutely disgusting. Unfortunately that little f**ker from Kerry getting away with a suspended sentence shows that abuse though social media isn’t being treated seriously enough. Maybe some of the people who tried to say that McClean brought some of the abuse on himself will explain when Patrick McClean was sent some too?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:57pm
Link?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:09pm
Southstandman View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southstandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:51pm
McClean is a top bloke standing up for his beliefs in the face of a mob of savages who rampaged around Europe for years smashing up towns and assaulting folk etc - till the bear put manners on the swine . 
We are Shamrock Rovers we"re Irelands number 1 .
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:57pm
I didn't realise he had beef with Vikings too
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:35pm
You know its rough treatment McClean is getting when Arlene Foster is backing him LOL

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0217/1197639-mcclean-media-fuelling-mind-blowing-abuse-in-britain/

Edited by cardwizzard - 17 Feb 2021 at 7:38pm
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

You know its rough treatment McClean is getting when Arlene Foster is backing him LOL

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0217/1197639-mcclean-media-fuelling-mind-blowing-abuse-in-britain/

I think it's rather something that Arlene Foster is more sympathetic than  some posters on this thread/forum. Maybe those posters should have a wee moment of self reflection on that....
@AntrimMan85
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:47pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

I think it's rather something that Arlene Foster is more sympathetic than  some posters on this thread/forum. Maybe those posters should have a wee moment of self reflection on that....
Clap
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:49pm

It's more important to some people that the British like us than show any kind of respect or understanding; they don't want to upset the apple cart.

As for the republican/IRA bashing, it kind of fits into this prism where the IRA were the only agents of terror in the North.

A lot of British, and Americans for that matter, seem to be living in some fantasy world where the Irish side were the only ones committing atrocities.

At least they have an education system that completely ignores any of their historical wrongdoings to blame for their ignorance.

What is Irish people's excuse?

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 17 Feb 2021 at 7:49pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:59pm
Arlene backing James I can understand due to the online stick she gets, but Gregory Campbell has weighed in too now ! He has a record of attacking James so I assume it's to deflect from the recent headlines he has made for racist comments.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

I agree regarding the whole balaclava picture situation and James himself has publicly apologised and admitted it was a idiotic thing to do. 

There is a bigger picture here. This has been happening long before social media was around. And what about the abuse, threats etc he received for 8 yrs solid prior to this post? This was solely based on him being Irish and from a Nationalist background. Other players like Quinn have came out and spoke about abuse they have received simply based on them being Irish.

Using one stupid social media post to diminish the other years of abuse he and his family have received is somewhat ignorant in my opinion. I'm not saying you personally but the lad should of been backed long before posting that picture. 
I think the McClean situation is/was to a large extent a product of social media

McClean was basically in the position of somebody on a forum who was being relentlessly trolled by morons

Instead of ignoring the trolls, he kept engaging them

This kept making him a bigger and bigger lightning rod

To successfully navigate that, you have to be very adept, very articulate, and very strong mentally

McClean wasn't adept enough, and was lured into the trap and when he posted the balaclava thing, he did cross the line - as the trolls wanted - which was then a complete justification in the trolls' own mind for anything they did to him

This is not in any way a defence of those who sent death threats to him or threats to any of his family

It's simply a statement of the realities of social media - on which scumbags are plentiful

My strong belief is that if the boot were on the other foot, and if a hypothetical John Terry Butcher from Sarf Landan was playing for Derry City and posting pro-DUP, pro-Tory or Brexit, Loyalist or British Army Paratrooper content on social media, he would be a lightning rod

He would certainly be widely thought of as a ****, be booed at matches and would likely receive threats online or in person

And many of the same people who defend McClean (and I would defend McClean as regards everything but the balaclava post) would not be so sympathetic

PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

It's more important to some people that the British like us than show any kind of respect or understanding; they don't want to upset the apple cart.

As for the republican/IRA bashing, it kind of fits into this prism where the IRA were the only agents of terror in the North.

A lot of British, and Americans for that matter, seem to be living in some fantasy world where the Irish side were the only ones committing atrocities.

At least they have an education system that completely ignores any of their historical wrongdoings to blame for their ignorance.

What is Irish people's excuse?
Some Irish people were directly effected by the violence or threat of violence from the IRA. I  know of 2 families who moved from the North to Kerry to escape this during the troubles, one of whom lost a family member to IRA violence, the other receiving threats. 

They are educated people who id imagine would have as little respect for the IRA than they would for any other Paramilitary groups from the North

That doesn't excuse Irish people who choose to completely ignore other elements of violence as you mentioned 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Arlene backing James I can understand due to the online stick she gets, but Gregory Campbell has weighed in too now ! He has a record of attacking James so I assume it's to deflect from the recent headlines he has made for racist comments.

Ah ffs LOLLOL

I wouldn't have much time for the obstructionist and bigoted DUP, but I do think Foster is genuine here. She has some sliver of credit but anything Gregory Campbell or Jim Allisterasourus for that matter says should be treated with scepticism at the very least. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 10:43pm
Fair play to Foster for coming out in support of McClean and his family. Credit where its due thats good leadership

Haven't seen that guttersnipe Campbell's comments yet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404405406407408 460>
  Share Topic