Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 390391392393394 465>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:59am
I've absolutely no problem with posters defending their favourites players or having blinded loyalty towards them to a point, but when someone makes a fair and balanced opinion on how they feel about a certain player this shouldn't be met with a barrage of pettiness. 

I don't rate McClean anymore, that's just my opinion and that doesn't mean it's right either.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 12:10pm
How are some people taking offence to people saying mcclean looses the ball often? remember the video of him loosing the ball 20 something times against Georgia LOL tries his best, probably a good sub to bring on against a tiring team.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

You're wasting your time Scissors and GD, 

Mr Brick and Horsebox have already said that you're not permitted to have an opinion that suggests that maybe mcclean has his limitations. This is considered negative and wrong.

They would rather we pretend that all our players are superstars without objective opinion. Arguing with them inevitably triggers insults. 

No issue with any one offering their opinions. It's ongoing repetitive negativity that I have issue with.

You don't need to tell us daily that you don't rate him and others.

We get it.

The fact is McClean got POTY and it's turned into a negative .

Edited by horsebox - 06 Aug 2020 at 12:39pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

How are some people taking offence to people saying mcclean looses the ball often? remember the video of him loosing the ball 20 something times against Georgia LOL tries his best, probably a good sub to bring on against a tiring team.

Because he won POTY for Stoke, so for the next few weeks we have to not only be happy for his achievement, but also pretend that he has the flawless footballing ability of Ronaldo. Any suggestion that he may have weaknesses in his game is akin to drop-kicking Mother Theresa herself.
We're decent enough..
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

You're wasting your time Scissors and GD, 

Mr Brick and Horsebox have already said that you're not permitted to have an opinion that suggests that maybe mcclean has his limitations. This is considered negative and wrong.

They would rather we pretend that all our players are superstars without objective opinion. Arguing with them inevitably triggers insults. 

No issue with any one offering their opinions. It's ongoing repetitive negativity that I have issue with.

You don't need to tell us daily that you don't rate him and others.

We get it.

The fact is McClean got POTY and it's turned into a negative .

Some fair points horse, and I agree with your observation of repetition on this forum, but to be fair that would apply to every single thread. Not just mcclean. See Whelan and Hendrick as examples.

It is an achievement that mcclean has got poty with Stoke, especially when you consider that its a popular vote and hes quite political. So it kind of doubles the achievement.

I'm looking at this from an ireland perspective, I think everyone is chomping at the bit (pun intended) at the prospect of the Kenny era.

I for one, would like us to attempt to keep the ball and build from the back. That's as far as my expectation are, not expecting barcelona or winning games by margins. Just want to see us play more technical football.

I've seen hours and hours of mcclean and whelan etc and my opinion is that they would likely struggle with that strategy. Just my opinion...

Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Drama queens bitching about James McClean getting an award. It wasn't supposed to happen, was it? Stop whinging ffs, give him as break. You were called a shower of begrudgers because it's true. You dish it, you cop it. Otherwise, try TikTok. 

Uuuuuuuuuuuuu
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Drama queens bitching about James McClean getting an award. It wasn't supposed to happen, was it? Stop whinging ffs, give him as break. You were called a shower of begrudgers because it's true. You dish it, you cop it. Otherwise, try TikTok. 

Only one person "b*tching" here by the look of it...
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 4:32pm
I'd have given it to Nick Powell who at least has footballing talent or . Rest of the Stoke team apart from a couple of others have been pretty desperate though.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 12:16am
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

https://twitter.com/AlexFG98x/status/1283849117895208962?s=20

Jamesy lad doing what he does best

Therein lies the problem, a wingers job is primarily to be an attacking threat, create and perhaps even dazzle not be best known for putting a tackle in.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 9:49am
I'd say the bigger problem is that at least half of the tackles in that video resulted in fouls being given against us.
We're decent enough..
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

https://twitter.com/AlexFG98x/status/1283849117895208962?s=20

Jamesy lad doing what he does best
Some absolutely majestic tackles there - but some of them are borderline criminal! No one will ever doubt his passion but one of the problems with McClean has always been that he plays so close to the edge that he's a red card waiting to happen. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 9:58am
I think he gets so much support from irish fans more for his passion and his political allegiances than he does for his footballing ability.  If he was of the west brit type and played like he did I doubt he would get half as much support. 
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I think he gets so much support from irish fans more for his passion and his political allegiances than he does for his footballing ability.  If he was of the west brit type and played like he did I doubt he would get half as much support. 
If he was of the west Brit type he probably wouldn't be playing for Ireland and would get little or no support from those on here.
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:35am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If he was of the west Brit type he probably wouldn't be playing for Ireland and would get little or no support from those on here.

Correct. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:40am
I remember watching a fan-made video of James McClean "losing possession" an inordinate amount of times in a match towards the end of the last campaign. Can't find it now, but it was complete and utter clickbait. The stuff they were counting as "lost possession" was literally making me laugh in how vindictive it was. Little of it was the simple pass gone wayward and poor touch that you would expect from such an assertively titled video; much of it was stuff like a ball being thundered out of play with a poor pass and McClean desperately trying, and failing, to keep it in. Similar hit pieces could be made on several players but he's just an easy target for some people's ire.

He should be dropped IMO but some people go overboard with the criticism. There are problems all over the pitch and in the management of the players. It's not all on McClean's shoulders. I simply think he has the kind of attitude where getting dropped will have the desired impact whereas it would affect others in a different, more negative, way.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:42am
Alan kernaghan for example.  But even if he had the personality of say a Harry after or Stephen hunt.  We will say anglophiles.  I think there are many who defend him and love him as his politics are aligned with theirs.  The same way there are some who don’t look beyond his politics and personality and don’t give him any slack.  

I would say he has been a lad who has tried for Ireland with average ability and has made a very good career for himself but we need to move on from him if we want to do well as he is ill disciplined in the tackle and with the ball and gives it away far too much. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 11:24am

Alan kernaghan for example.  But even if he had the personality of say a Harry after or Stephen hunt.  We will say anglophiles.  I think there are many who defend him and love him as his politics are aligned with theirs.  The same way there are some who don’t look beyond his politics and personality and don’t give him any slack.  

I would say he has been a lad who has tried for Ireland with average ability and has made a very good career for himself but we need to move on from him if we want to do well as he is ill disciplined in the tackle and with the ball and gives it away far too much. 

Is Stephen Hunt an anglophile? LOLThere was me thinking he couldn't become more dislikeable.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 390391392393394 465>
  Share Topic