You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 383384385386387 460>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 9:46pm
called it
Sponsored Links

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

I will be interested to see if James McClean goes along with the black lives matter whenever he is playing next.

Not a man to go along easily with an empty political gesture and has already had a go at the amount of coverage racism gets while sectarian abuse gets very little.

This
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:03pm
Considering he posted a picture of himself with a balaclava on a white back he should not be putting"poor me" out there at this moment.

Edited by ripbomb - 13 Jul 2020 at 10:04pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:11pm

I will be interested to see if James McClean goes along with the black lives matter whenever he is playing next.

Not a man to go along easily with an empty political gesture and has already had a go at the amount of coverage racism gets while sectarian abuse gets very little.

This

Hmmm - well he didn’t say anything to detract from McGoldrick or Zaha. He hasn’t refused to kneel, nor did he say anything about BLM being an “empty political gesture”. So... you didn’t really call anything.

If he’s criticizing anyone it’s other Irish players 

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:18pm
will have to do the lotto this week
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:21pm
Sadly James doesn't do himself any favours, the abuse he receives shouldn't happen and it needs to be looked into more seriously.

With him though, i find.myself getting tired of his political activism. Sadly his career is becoming less about the football
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:23pm
I think the point about racism is its a pervasive problem that a lot of black players have encountered at some point on account of their skin colour in itself. 
Sectarianism is a problem largely encountered by McClean alone by virtue of the fact he goes out of his way to encourage that reaction whereas other Irish or catholic players for some reason, past and present,  it has never been an issue throughout the history of the premier league as far as I'm aware. James would just love nothing more than for teams to take a knee in honour of his victimhood at the beginning of each match though. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

I think the point about racism is its a pervasive problem that a lot of black players have encountered at some point on account of their skin colour in itself. 
Sectarianism is a problem largely encountered by McClean alone by virtue of the fact he goes out of his way to encourage that reaction whereas other Irish or catholic players for some reason, past and present,  it has never been an issue throughout the history of the premier league as far as I'm aware. James would just love nothing more than for teams to take a knee in honour of his victimhood at the beginning of each match though. 

Are you seriously arguing that anti-Irish sentiment has not been a "pervasive problem" for centuries? LOL Historical revisionists really do crack me up.
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:31pm
I'm arguing it is not a problem experienced by contemporary Irish professional footballers.....other than McClean for some reason? Ermm
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:39pm
Haven’t loads of countries had wars and prosecution across borders for centuries?

greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:40pm

I'm arguing it is not a problem experienced by contemporary Irish professional footballers.....other than McClean for some reason? Ermm
Ask Neil lennon about it. 
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:42pm
is James anti secretarism or anti being the victim of secretarism?

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:29pm

is James anti secretarism or anti being the victim of secretarism?

I will try my best to answer this for you if you would kindly explain exactly “secretarism” is. Thanks.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:31pm

Anthony Stokes? James McCarthy? Aiden McGeady? Neil Lennon? Shane Duffy? I've heard loads of anti-Irish slurs directed at players during games; it may not be as virulent as racism against black players, but lets not kid ourselves into believing it doesn't exist.

Blaming the victim is the lowest level of narrow-mindedness, so I'm not surprised you think it's McClean's fault that he receives death threats.
We're decent enough..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 12:14am
He has a point here our James. 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 12:14am

If he feels strongly about it he should create his own movement, Irish lives matter, or something. Hijacking a worldwide movement seems pathetic given his balaclava post during lockdown.

Edited by Jimmy Raggatip - 14 Jul 2020 at 9:26am
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 12:39am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Anthony Stokes? James McCarthy? Aiden McGeady? Neil Lennon? Shane Duffy? I've heard loads of anti-Irish slurs directed at players during games; it may not be as virulent as racism against black players, but lets not kid ourselves into believing it doesn't exist.

Blaming the victim is the lowest level of narrow-mindedness, so I'm not surprised you think it's McClean's fault that he receives death threats.
You have a season ticket at Ibrox? These cases were a decade ago in Scotland, nothing to do with present English football matters, where all our better players earn a living. Never heard Duffy whinging.
McClean has spent the last half a decade or so trying to construct himself as a victim, and when he isn't getting enough of the reaction he wants he'll come out with a new quote, article or stunt to try and ignite some more antagonism to fuel his crusade for victim status and being champion of oppressed Irish republicanism. 
I don't know if I'd credit him with the intellect to have any kind of coherent long term plan in relation to this but I wouldn't be surprised if he has political aspirations now his football career is waning. 
Trump has already proven what you can achieve through stirring up populist discord without being impeded by one's intellectual deficiencies so maybe he fancies a crack at it. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:26am
James is not known for posturing as an intellectual. He's better paid than most who do . He's 32 now and keeps himself extremely fit. His contract with Stoke runs until 30/6/22 and he's on around £1 million a year, so I would expect him to see that out or play elsewhere if he transfers out, so I don't envisage him knocking doors in Derry asking for votes anytime soon. His political views are well known and regularly attract more than the usual casual racism that still rears its head at English grounds. Scotland is worse and as for the Irish League and Windsor Park in particular, don't start me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 383384385386387 460>
  Share Topic