You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 380381382383384 460>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Can we start a new chant? 

'James McClean he hates the Hunt and Breen!
Nah nah, nah nah, nah nah, nah naaaaah, 
Nah nah
Nah nah'
Only if the queen dies LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 11:12am
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Nah nah
Nah nah'
She’s never even been alive.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Nah nah
Nah nah'
She’s never even been alive.

Big smileBig smileBig smile
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

A fair and diplomatic assessment . Very frustrating to lose quality players of the calibre of Ireland and Rice , who played for us at international level and then for different reasons went on to f**k us about . Likewise Grealish , who at least didn't deprive another Irish player of a full cap , and those agent manipulated toadies Bamford and Redmond .

I'm not being bitter here but watching Rice the last year, for his club I don't think he's as much of a loss to us as first initially thought tbh. 

Well I'm not sure how much you thought you'd miss him, but he's a very good player - he would have been a very important player for us. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

A fair and diplomatic assessment . Very frustrating to lose quality players of the calibre of Ireland and Rice , who played for us at international level and then for different reasons went on to f**k us about . Likewise Grealish , who at least didn't deprive another Irish player of a full cap , and those agent manipulated toadies Bamford and Redmond .

I'm not being bitter here but watching Rice the last year, for his club I don't think he's as much of a loss to us as first initially thought tbh. 

Well I'm not sure how much you thought you'd miss him, but he's a very good player - he would have been a very important player for us. 

Don't get me wrong, both Rice and Grealish are losses to us but I don't think Rice is as crippling a loss as maybe first feared despite our deficiencies in midfield. 

His team is struggling in fairness but I've seen Rice misplacing simple passes numerous times the last year and not picking up opposition attackers running into space he should be defending. Might be just a confidence issue but he doesn't seem to have played well from what I've seen albeit the odd live West Ham game and mostly highlights. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 11:00pm

Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Don't get me wrong, both Rice and Grealish are losses to us but I don't think Rice is as crippling a loss as maybe first feared despite our deficiencies in midfield. 

His team is struggling in fairness but I've seen Rice misplacing simple passes numerous times the last year and not picking up opposition attackers running into space he should be defending. Might be just a confidence issue but he doesn't seem to have played well from what I've seen albeit the odd live West Ham game and mostly highlights. 

Grealish is certainly more of a loss. Rice is a good defensive midfielder, but we're a reasonably solid team defensively already. It's creativity we lack, and Grealish certainly offers more on that front.
We're decent enough..
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 8:48am
One problem with Grealish is that nobody including himself seems to know his best position ( his own preferred one is central midfield ). He remains in limbo, uncapped for England and the big clubs unsure about signing him. Southgate sold England to young 'Up the Ra ' Rice on the basis that his long term future was as a central defender though he would initially be deployed in midfield. Probably correct, if indeed Deccie actually does have such a thing as a long term future with England. One certainty is that his agent won't care-he's made his dosh.
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 11:46am

One problem with Grealish is that nobody including himself seems to know his best position ( his own preferred one is central midfield ). He remains in limbo, uncapped for England and the big clubs unsure about signing him. Southgate sold England to young 'Up the Ra ' Rice on the basis that his long term future was as a central defender though he would initially be deployed in midfield. Probably correct, if indeed Deccie actually does have such a thing as a long term future with England. One certainty is that his agent won't care-he's made his dosh.
He has said himself his best and favoured role is more of an 8, (a Rooney role?) where he start things off with the ball from deep, can glide and play inter 1-2s around a defender. I must have seen him play 100+ games now down VP and away, and I wouldn't say there's been one player in a green jersey the last decade who has the attacking flair he has AngryCry

& yep.
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Bham_McDermott Bham_McDermott wrote:

He has said himself his best and favoured role is more of an 8, (a Rooney role?) where he start things off with the ball from deep, can glide and play inter 1-2s around a defender. I must have seen him play 100+ games now down VP and away, and I wouldn't say there's been one player in a green jersey the last decade who has the attacking flair he has AngryCry

& yep.
All correct bham he would have been ideal for us even when we were sitting back deep the last few years he would have had the ability the pick up the ball and just relive the pressure off us and would have been a huge bonus for us especially in those must win home games where we failed to get over the line.
An awful loss we haven’t had a player like him for a long time 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 4:16pm
Grealish can play any midfield role or as a striker, winger or what is now called a 'no. 10 '. According to a former manager of his, Tim Sherwood, his favourite position is outside left, where Dean Smith has often played him, though I read somewhere else that he preferred central midfield. He is certainly versatile but of no use whatsoever to Ireland now. Regarding Rice, who is in the same boat, I think it was in the Sunday Times that I originally read about Southgate's long term thinking but he also confirmed it in a conversation with Mick McCarthy ( google ' Mick McCarthy reveals talks with Gareth Southgate over Declan Rice's international future' ).
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 4:41pm

....One certainty is that his agent won't care-he's made his dosh.
Another certainty is thIs has SFA to do with James McClean
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 4:54pm
Except in that James also had the opportunity to play his international football elsewhere. Difference being that he made the right decision.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 5:23pm
I thought I landed in the Grealish thread there for a minute
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 5:46pm
Super James does it again. Today's Irish News has picked up a charity challenge he has completed which involved running 52 miles in 48 hours ( 4 miles every 4 hours ). Gruelling stuff, with little opportunity for sleep or rest, but he did it and admitted that he had previously ' been training flat out like a madman pushing myself and testing myself in lockdown.' Good news from an international point of view that he is back to fitness after that recent injury. Just don't expect to read about it in the English press as it does not involve poppies, Wolfe Tones songs or political beliefs.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:13pm
Is that the best thing for a footballer to doing? Genuine question.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:22pm
Considering his season is effectively over, I doubt it makes much difference. I'd certainly consider it preferable to inactivity.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:25pm
Depends on the footballer, probably. James told the Irish News that the lockdown had started to affect him : ' To be honest, I was starting to lack motivation doing basically the same stuff each day with basically no end goal in sight, then I saw this and thought it would motivate me. It has.' No doubt other players have different mindsets but McClean has always been particularly driven and renowned for exceptional levels of fitness. So-if it works for him, and it clearly does as well as raising money for charity, why not ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:41pm
Yeah, the reasoning seems fine and he hardly has a game soon. It was just curiosity as it isn't an area I would know much about and wondered if it could do him longer-term harm.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 380381382383384 460>
  Share Topic