You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 373374375376377 465>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 11:11am
Maybe, to vary things up, on one of the days his kids could try to teach him how to beat the first man when trying to cross a ball. Admittedly every adult who has tried to teach him that to date has clearly failed but maybe the kids would come up with some new angle others haven't thought of yet?

All joking aside, that picture is indefensible. How would anyone wear that garb in front of their kids? 
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Maybe, to vary things up, on one of the days his kids could try to teach him how to beat the first man when trying to cross a ball. Admittedly every adult who has tried to teach him that to date has clearly failed but maybe the kids would come up with some new angle others haven't thought of yet?

All joking aside, that picture is indefensible. How would anyone wear that garb in front of their kids? 

The more I think about it, the more staggered I am by the sheer stupidity of it. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 1:22pm
He is an idiot with a big heart and a good engine and a shocking first touch and a bit of pace.  Extremely limited at the highest level but has made a great life for himself considering the natural talents he has been given. 

If it was Kyle McLafferty doing something similar there would he loads on here attacking him for it.  Same sh*te different flag. 
AKA pedantic kunt
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:28pm
Taigs aren't allowed to post on OWC.

It's not publicly accessible for a reason.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:34pm
Fair play to James helping to take peoples minds off the real issues of today 
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:35pm
I know him from his days at Derry and he is an absolutely lovely honest lad and very humble. His wife is the same. They are a young couple and their main problem  is social media especially now they in the limelight. As with a lot of young people ( which I'm not) they need to think first before posting. I hope he/they learn from this.
Don't crucify him I'm sure he knows he went too far. He needs a good counselling session or advisor to put him right as obviously he cant put himself right. I just hope it's not attention seeking ??

Edited by ProudAndLoud - 28 Mar 2020 at 2:38pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

He is an idiot with a big heart and a good engine and a shocking first touch and a bit of pace.  Extremely limited at the highest level but has made a great life for himself considering the natural talents he has been given. 

If it was Kyle McLafferty doing something similar there would he loads on here attacking him for it.  Same sh*te different flag. 

I suppose James would point to the distinction between glorifying oppressive/imperialist violence compared to reactionary violence by those being victimised. In any case, I think it's pretty likely James has little interest in history or education, and this was simply intended as a bit of absurdity that no one in their right mind would interpret as being serious.
We're decent enough..
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

anyone else it’s a joke. James and he is supporting the RA
Has it ever occurred to you that there might be a reason for that? I mean, his past history of outright and public sympathy for hardline Republicanism?

There was the time when he was completing one of those favourite places/foods/actors questionnaires for an Irish website and when it came to favourite song, out of all the very many famous songs associated with his home city, he chose "Back Home in Derry", allegedly written by Bobby Sands.

Or there's the Free Derry Tattoo. And the public appearances with Martin McGuinness around the time of the Irish Presidential election. Or turning his back on the UJ out in the USA when GSTQ was being played in honour of the visiting team, WBA. Or the announcement on Twitter of "another wee Fenian" in the world following the birth of his child.

His refusal to wear the Poppy is one thing - and he never deserved the abuse he got for that - but this sort of behaviour is quite something else. Indeed, it is hard to recall many other prominent footballers who have so clearly associated themselves with an extreme political viewpoint. Paolo di Canio and Fascism perhaps?

Funny how you seem to view the poppy as a relatively standard, non-controversial symbol.

Here is what I wrote about the Poppy the other day:
"And for the avoidance of doubt, I personally believe everyone should be entitled to decline to wear the Poppy, for whatever reason or none, without being subjected to adverse comment, never mind outright abuse."

Meanwhile, we were actually discussing McClean's social media activities, not the Poppy...

Yet holding republican views is "hardline", "extreme" etc.
I still can't figure out whether you are incapable of understanding standard English, or merely unwilling to do so when it contains something you don't like to address.

Either way, I carefully charged McClean specifically with holding "hardline" or "extreme" Republican views. Meaning that it is still entirely possible to hold Republican views - a perfectly valid stance - without those also being extreme or hardline.

For the record, I am opposed to all forms of political extremism, whether it be Republican or "Loyalist".

How many deaths have the armed forces been responsible for their extensive, shameful history? Enough to make the IRA and their ilk look like choir boys is the answer....
So it's a numbers game, then?
Tell me, how many more innocent Irish people would the Provo's had to have killed before the "armed struggle" became unacceptable? Is there a limit?

So that if the Paras had only killed, say, 2 or 3 innocent Irish people on Bloody Sunday, would that have made it OK eg for an NI player to restage McClean's meme with his own kids while wearing a Parachute Regiment beret?

You know, as a joke...

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

We have to put up with Terri to prove “we are better than that”
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Yes and it’s an echo chamber , it’s not easy engaging with political opponents 

A starting point is trying to see it from their point of view , fair few on here have the green tinted glasses on 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Yes and it’s an echo chamber , it’s not easy engaging with political opponents 

A starting point is trying to see it from their point of view , fair few on here have the green tinted glasses on 

As somebody who has had plenty of debates about politics here, the term echo chamber could certainly be applied. It’s rarely the people who actually debate the point, but it’s the apple polishing, ditch hurlers who just throw in the odd insult.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

How would anyone wear that garb in front of their kids? 
This. Hopefully his kids turn out to be a bit brighter than their old lad
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 4:40pm

I suppose James would point to the distinction between glorifying oppressive/imperialist violence compared to reactionary violence by those being victimised. In any case, I think it's pretty likely James has little interest in history or education, and this was simply intended as a bit of absurdity that no one in their right mind would interpret as being serious.

That’s just a ridiculously stupid post. Justifying one type of violence over another. That’s the type of sh*t you read on the OWC forum. Lads there are so blinkered in their views that they fail to see any wrong from their own lot. Unfortunately, it appears that we have plenty of fans that are similarly blinkered.

Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 5:18pm
The Battle of Oriel Park: When The Troubles and football came face to face, good read below if you have 10 mins to kill...

https://thefootballfaithful.com/battle-oriel-park-dundalk-linfield-1979/
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

The Battle of Oriel Park: When The Troubles and football came face to face, good read below if you have 10 mins to kill...

https://thefootballfaithful.com/battle-oriel-park-dundalk-linfield-1979/

Before I've even started to read that article beyond the first paragraph, the fact it mentions Mountbatten but not Warren point makes me question its accuracy. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

That’s just a ridiculously stupid post. Justifying one type of violence over another. That’s the type of sh*t you read on the OWC forum. Lads there are so blinkered in their views that they fail to see any wrong from their own lot. Unfortunately, it appears that we have plenty of fans that are similarly blinkered.

What's stupid about it? The existence of states is literally the practice of justifying one type of violence over the other? It's one of the fundamental bases of our world order.
We're decent enough..
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 1:36pm

Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

What's stupid about it? The existence of states is literally the practice of justifying one type of violence over the other? It's one of the fundamental bases of our world order.

You're missing the point. Justifying violence is equally despicable, regardless of whether it's being perpetrated by a state or a terrorist organisation.

If a Northern Ireland player posted a similar "joke" about Loyalist violence on social media, there would be plenty of people on this forum complaining about it, and rightly so.

What McClean did on this occasion was utterly stupid. I'd hope it can be attributed to his lack of intelligence, as opposed to a need for attention.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 8:01pm
Interesting article by Gareth McAuley , former team mate of James at West Brom , in today's Sunday Life newspaper.He likes James personally and praises his dedication as a pro footballer but despairs of his lack of judgement as exemplified by this latest nonsense, which McAuley says he was put up to by a so-called 'friend'. He considers James easily led and constantly trying to impress people-like when he bought a Lamborghini when he was at Sunderland,despite not having a driving licence, only for the then manager Martin O'Neill to order him to return it, and eating a fish eye in Barcelona when other players dared him to. Apparently he has also refused to engage with the PFA despite criticising them for not doing enough about the abuse he has received. McAuley reckons Michael O'Neill will be furious as he likes low maintenance players-hence his frustration over the years with the likes of Kyle Lafferty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 373374375376377 465>
  Share Topic