You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 366367368369370 460>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Mcclean has 73 caps for ireland. 10 goals is a decent return but I'd probably only count 2 as important. (Austia and wales) 

3 assists is extremely poor, I'd count 1 as important vs Switzerland (it was deflected however)

10 goals
4 goals in friendlies (portugal, USA, Slovakia, Uruguay)
2 vs Gibraltar (in a 7-0 win)
2 vs Moldova (3-1 win)
1 vs Austria (1-0 winning goal)
1 x wales (1-0 winning goal and maybe his most important)

3 assists
1 in a friendly (USA)
1 vs Gibraltar (last minute brady goal in 2-0 win)
1 vs Switzerland (equaliser scored by mcgoldrick, I remember this assist was a deflection off the swiss player)

In contrast, Stevens has 14 caps and 2 assists, I dont think mcclean is a big miss for ireland. 

Lots of energy but really not irreplaceable.

Its this type of post at McClean that is full of sh*te, snide and personal dig. 

Duff 100caps 8 goals
Roy Keane 67caps 9 goals.
Jeff Hendrick 54caps 2 goals
Mc Goldrick 14caps 1 goal

The list is endless, one thing to say he's not your type of player, doesn't do enough with the ball etc, but to try and break down stats without giving others makes you look like you've an agenda. Especially if he's one of the top goalscorers in the squad even if it is only 10!

And 10 goals in 73 games is 1 every 7, same as 
Stevens except over a bigger spread of games

Edited by cardwizzard - 14 Feb 2020 at 10:10pm
Sponsored Links

inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:12pm
You can’t deny that, under Michael O’Neill, James is doing better than he has done in years. 

Looking at his entire ireland career statistics is not very useful, in my opinion. Based on his club career this season, could he give us an edge? Only a lunatic would say no!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:47pm

Its this type of post at McClean that is full of sh*te, snide and personal dig. 

Duff 100caps 8 goals
Roy Keane 67caps 9 goals.
Jeff Hendrick 54caps 2 goals
Mc Goldrick 14caps 1 goal

The list is endless, one thing to say he's not your type of player, doesn't do enough with the ball etc, but to try and break down stats without giving others makes you look like you've an agenda. Especially if he's one of the top goalscorers in the squad even if it is only 10!

And 10 goals in 73 games is 1 every 7, same as 
Stevens except over a bigger spread of games
[/QUOTE]

Erm... I did say 10 goals was a decent return.. no? 

Snide and personal dig? I just said he wasnt irreplaceable, I made no personal remarks.

I didn't offer comparisons in stats but I wasnt trying to compare mcclean with anyone only suggest that Stevens could be quite good in a more advanced roll if mcclean is not available.

I dont think mccleans contribution compares to that of Duff or Keane (goals scored or not.) 

I personally dont feel mcclean makes ireland a better team but his goals are often seen as justification for his inclusion, I was suggesting that maybe that's not the case.

I agree with a lot on here that he'd be a very good impact sub

Edited by Left foot - 14 Feb 2020 at 10:49pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:58pm
Duff did f**k all for Ireland for years and years, yet he was immune from criticism.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:04pm
And my mistake, Stevens has never scored for us LOL
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Duff did f**k all for Ireland for years and years, yet he was immune from criticism.

Aaah im not sure about that, he was always pretty decent in a green shirt. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Bollocks! He didn’t beat a man for 8 years after Spain! I would say the most overrated player to play for us.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:19pm

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Bollocks! He didn’t beat a man for 8 years after Spain! I would say the most overrated player to play for us.

Your wrong there anyway cause that title should go to Coleman. Ya i said it. I dont agree with ya on duffer though.
Jebediah Springfield View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebediah Springfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:33pm
Duff was over rated - ah come on! The negativity has gone to new levels completely ffs. 

Edited by Jebediah Springfield - 14 Feb 2020 at 11:34pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 12:08am
If anything we relied on Duff too much to work the ball forward in the end it made us more predictable.

Edited by Left foot - 15 Feb 2020 at 12:09am
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

It's part of the Americanised language and marketing that's rife right now . Almost as irritating as footballers saying ' obviously ' every few seconds when they're being interviewed . McClean will be a serious loss if not available but unlike some granny rule opportunists would play through a pain barrier for his country . Brady is not playing enough football at the moment to slot in though there are other alternatives such as young Doherty , little Maguire ( acknowledgements to M O'Neill for those two appellations ) and Callum Robinson .

All well & good, but Mick will probably ignore the claims of Robinson, young Doherty, Maguire and any other attacking player you care to name, and replace McClean with Hendrick on the left wing with 3 other CM's already in the team, leaving us with McGoldrick and the right winger (possibly a recall for Long) as our only attackers. 

Failing that, as another poster already said, we'll pick an injured McClean, crutches, protective boot, cast & all, regardless. 

For all McClean's faults, and there are many of them, nobody else is really doing much playing in that position at club level. We'd have a few strikers/forwards that could possibly play there, but Mick wouldn't trust them to defend corners (Maguire defending a corner- I think not) O'Dowda is only getting an odd run here & there and hasn't really done anything recently to justify his place in the squad, never mind the team, Brady isn't playing at all, Robinson more suited to the other side etc. 

Unless Connolly starts getting a few for Brighton in the next few weeks, I'd nearly be certain we'll play with a CM out of position on the left V Slovakia. While steadfastly ignoring the fact we have one of the best left sided attacking players in the league available to us if he was flexible enough to change formation. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 12:23am
@deise316 

This is exactly the point! Our two best players are a left wing back and a right wing back, we'll play one in a less effective position at left back and the othe wont play at all.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 12:27am
Ah come on
When did Enda Stevens become one of our two best players 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Ah come on
When did Enda Stevens become one of our two best players 

He has been great for Sheffield  I am not sure of the best way to judge players other than lets say I am Jurgen klopp,  and I need to take a pick, I reckon it's either stevens or Doherty that's gets chosen to join this liverpool team. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 15 Feb 2020 at 1:16am
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 1:16am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

It's part of the Americanised language and marketing that's rife right now . Almost as irritating as footballers saying ' obviously ' every few seconds when they're being interviewed . McClean will be a serious loss if not available but unlike some granny rule opportunists would play through a pain barrier for his country . Brady is not playing enough football at the moment to slot in though there are other alternatives such as young Doherty , little Maguire ( acknowledgements to M O'Neill for those two appellations ) and Callum Robinson .

All well & good, but Mick will probably ignore the claims of Robinson, young Doherty, Maguire and any other attacking player you care to name, and replace McClean with Hendrick on the left wing with 3 other CM's already in the team, leaving us with McGoldrick and the right winger (possibly a recall for Long) as our only attackers. 

Failing that, as another poster already said, we'll pick an injured McClean, crutches, protective boot, cast & all, regardless. 

For all McClean's faults, and there are many of them, nobody else is really doing much playing in that position at club level. We'd have a few strikers/forwards that could possibly play there, but Mick wouldn't trust them to defend corners (Maguire defending a corner- I think not) O'Dowda is only getting an odd run here & there and hasn't really done anything recently to justify his place in the squad, never mind the team, Brady isn't playing at all, Robinson more suited to the other side etc. 

Unless Connolly starts getting a few for Brighton in the next few weeks, I'd nearly be certain we'll play with a CM out of position on the left V Slovakia. While steadfastly ignoring the fact we have one of the best left sided attacking players in the league available to us if he was flexible enough to change formation. 

Perhaps, but the argument can be made that over the years even when McClean was having a torrid time at club level he was still getting selected and starting constantly for us even though it wasn't always down to other players not being in form or whatever either.

One major problem a lot of Irish fans have is that many never factor in the amount of minutes replaceable players in our team like Whelan, McClean (just two examples for argument sake) etc play for us even when they under perform in a couple of games on the trot.

Callum Robinson could start against Slovakia as could McClean, even if neither had any impact on the game you could bet your last euro that if one player was to make way for the Bosnia/Northern Ireland game it would be Robinson. Again Robinson is just a random example. 

I'm just not really sure how fans can expect players like Robinson, Maguire, Doherty, Browne etc to have a really positive impact in an Ireland shirt when they're not being given a clear run of 4/5 games in a row from the start to find their feet.

There are only a handful of Ireland players currently who should be assured of their place in that team, the backline to a point picks itself depending on formation (I would have Doherty in ahead of Coleman if we were going with a back 5) none of our midfielders be it wingers/centre midfielders should be guaranteed their place and as much as I like McGoldrick his lack of goals at both club and international level mean he should be under pressure to keep his jersey, but I would rather he started because he's playing well despite not scoring.

Edited by Green Devil - 15 Feb 2020 at 1:19am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 10:09am
How did it get to this.
A championship player 21st in the league will be missed.How fcuked up is that?
I hope you are enjoying your settlement loot John Delaney.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

That's right Cardwizzard, a left winger will generally score more than a left back ffs 
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

That's right Cardwizzard, a left winger will generally score more than a left back ffs 

And its you looking to replace McClean with him LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 366367368369370 460>
  Share Topic