You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 460>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belfast Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 6:26pm
" after having a long think about it I felt in my heart that it felt right for me to declare for the Republic as it’s something I’ve always grown up wanting to do"

Sponsored Links

soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 6:41pm
“I rang Nigel Worthington on Saturday night and while I appreciated the call-up to the senior team having played at under-21 level, my dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland. Now that Sunderland have offered me a full-time contract, I have to follow my heart.”

Edited by soccerc - 07 Aug 2011 at 6:41pm
Dano View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 8:50pm
Not sure if he'll make the grade for Ireland but always good to have Irish players with teams in the Premier League, anyone who sticks two fingers up at the Are We A Country crowd is in my good books.
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 9:27pm
James has been outstanding this season now.

We all knew he was too good for us, and that he'd go abroad.  Good luck de him now over in England.  Easily good enough for the top division over there.  He's the best player this city has produced in years.

Great decision to tell the north to go feck themselves.  Worthington only got interested when he heard James might go to Britain.  Bigot.

Trap, sign him up!
City Till I Die
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by brendy_éire brendy_éire wrote:

We all knew he was too good for us, and that he'd go abroad.  Good luck de him now over in England.  Easily good enough for the top division over there.  He's the best player this city has produced in years.

Great decision to tell the north to go feck themselves.  Worthington only got interested when he heard James might go to Britain.  Bigot.

Trap, sign him up!
How would you compare JM to Paddy McCourt ? Hopefully John O'Shea and Kieren Westwood will give him plenty of encouragement for declaring for Ireland and in the future he may be lining up for club and country with David Meyler and John Egan.

I hope the deal invoves a freiendly at the Brandywell next close season as I would love a trip to Derry. I've met some top fellas from Derry who have studied at Sunderland University over the years.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 10:45pm
Great news Clap
Tuff Paddy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
It's Rome!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuff Paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 2:06am
Clap Clap Clap
Waka waka hey hey, we're in Armenia!
flick View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 3:17am
Getting some stick on the gawa twitter page, "hope he breaks down and never kicks a ball again" and reading the tweets they genuinely believe they are a better team than us

Gwan James
GWAN YBIG
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 3:21am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by brendy_éire brendy_éire wrote:

Trap, sign him up!
How would you compare JM to Paddy McCourt ? Hopefully John O'Shea and Kieren Westwood will give him plenty of encouragement for declaring for Ireland and in the future he may be lining up for club and country with David Meyler and John Egan.

I hope the deal invoves a freiendly at the Brandywell next close season as I would love a trip to Derry. I've met some top fellas from Derry who have studied at Sunderland University over the years.

More traditional winger than McCourt, plays wide, pacey, decent cross and would provide more than McCourt. Much more reliable and (fingers crossed) a lot less injury prone.

And you can get to feck with that idea. That was part of the deal with Celtic for McCourt and McGinn and was an utter disaster. Just the cash please!
@AntrimMan85
Godot View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 3:58am
Have we made many enquiries about young footballers from NI Protestant backgrounds? Yes, it would probably be fruitless, but no harm in asking. There's not many Protestant nationalists in the north, yet they're out there. Clap
Jerryfromkerry View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerryfromkerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 6:20am
Im sure anyone would be welcomed with open arms. Fact is though nationalists in the north east are far more likely to want to play for ireland
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"
Predator View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 8:07am
Originally posted by flick flick wrote:

Getting some stick on the gawa twitter page, "hope he breaks down and never kicks a ball again" and reading the tweets they genuinely believe they are a better team than us

Gwan James
Nothing worse than a sore loser.
Sloop John G View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloop John G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 9:53am

Trapattoni was asked about James McClean’s declaration for the Republic of Ireland after he pulled out of Nigel Worthington’s squad to face the Faroe Islands on Wednesday.

“It’s important what he said, that he clarified what he wants,” said the manager. “We always work with the aim of adding new players to our squad. But when the papers get involved it can get more complicated. He’s a good offensive wide player, tall and powerful. Now we will have the possibility of following him more."

The winger is set to join Sunderland after a €400,000 fee was agreed with the Candystripes last Friday.

Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 9:55am
Getting gerry armstrong in to persuade players is absolutely pathetic even by their standards

I doubt many teenagers have a fookin notion who the chap even is
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
mccarticus View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mccarticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 10:23am
Great to see another one on board from the feeder squad, any word on Barton? is he definitely with us?
Sheedy wins it back, Sheedy shoots....
Trapcandoit View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapcandoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 10:34am
Originally posted by mccarticus mccarticus wrote:

Great to see another one on board from the feeder squad, any word on Barton? is he definitely with us?
Barton withdrew from the u21 squad according to the StarCry No reason given by the paper but it sounds like an injury.
5 goals to go Robbie!
Sloop John G View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloop John G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 10:48am
David Healy was on Sky Sports having a moan, trying to make it look like we're the bad guys.
Trapcandoit View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapcandoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 10:52am
Great news about this McClean lad but God.. why are we pruducing so many gifted wingers. Duff, McGeady, Alex O Haleran(Liverpool academy) to name a few off the top of my head and now the next serious prospect to jump off the conveyer belt is a winger as well. Not a decent midfielder in sight since the days of Roy Keane- apart from maybe McCarthyCry

Edited by Trapcandoit - 08 Aug 2011 at 10:55am
5 goals to go Robbie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 460>
  Share Topic