You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 434435436437438 460>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 4:33pm
Directly from a corner apparently.
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

On the day before poppy day too Smile
Idah Dream!
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

On the day before poppy day too Smile

Poetic justice 👏🏼
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 2:24pm
Bit insensitive from McClean IMO, putting a coffin walking past him on his instagram story
You're at a funeral, leave the phone down

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 4:07pm
Had to go back 4 pages to find this thread, but Jimmy got another assist on Saturday taking him to 8 goal involvements for the season (2G, 6A). Fine going considering Wigan have only managed 28 goals in total. He has also featured in every single Wigan League game this season at 33yo.

Also played the full game vs Blackburn the week previous, hours after attending the birth of his fourth child.

His 8 goal involvements in the Championship are only bettered by 3 Irish players in the top 2 divisions, all strikers, Keane 12, Hogan 11 and Robinson 10. 

Warrior, Manning may have to wait a while yet.

Idah Dream!
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 4:13pm
His brother Paddy has surprisingly decided to retire from football at the age of 26. He had a contract with Glentoran until 2025, it’s likely they’ll retain his registration.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

His brother Paddy has surprisingly decided to retire from football at the age of 26. He had a contract with Glentoran until 2025, it’s likely they’ll retain his registration.

Strongly rumoured that he's angling for an easy move to Derry. I'm not sure if you can hold the registration of a "retired" player for that long, usually there's something like a 6 month/next season expiry on those things.
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 4:29pm
He was named in the team of the month last month too.

I could see him playing until he's 40! 

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

And in the Whoscored Championship Team of the Week this week also, along with Luke Mc Nally who seems to have started brightly at Coventry, yet another promising young centre back, what are we feeding them? (Cashin best player in L1 this season as per Whoscored, Mc Guinness had a great spell with Sheff Wed and now back at Cardiff, Jake O'Brien flying it over in Belgium). Even the likes of Mc Loughlin at Hull, who have improved a lot since he came in to the team a few weeks back and O'Connor at Lincoln seem to be having fine seasons.
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 4:50pm

He's still well able for the Championship.

No issue at all with him being in the squad as a wingback to be used against weaker sides, his directness is useful when we need to be on the front foot.

Absolutely would not be using him against stronger sides though, he's too wasteful on the ball and his defensive positioning is not up to scratch against superior players.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's still well able for the Championship.

No issue at all with him being in the squad as a wingback to be used against weaker sides, his directness is useful when we need to be on the front foot.

Absolutely would not be using him against stronger sides though, he's too wasteful on the ball and his defensive positioning is not up to scratch against superior players.

So who is your choice to play LWB then? Doherty (Coleman at RWB)? The other contenders Brady, O'Dowda and Manning all look equally if not more suspect defensively. I think he will start vs France on merit.
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 5:19pm
Coleman and Doherty are still our best wing backs, they would be my first choices. I'd start Stevens ahead of McClean (if he's fit) against stronger sides, at least he's a natural defender, and a bit tidier in possession. As I said though, McClean will still have his uses against poor teams.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Coleman and Doherty are still our best wing backs, they would be my first choices. I'd start Stevens ahead of McClean (if he's fit) against stronger sides, at least he's a natural defender, and a bit tidier in possession. As I said though, McClean will still have his uses against poor teams.

I'm no fan of Stevens, who has had an injury disrupted season and is still out afaik and I dont think Seamus is really a wing back plus it means playing our best wing back out of position. While I share some of your reservations about Mc Clean, I still think, as things stand at the moment that he will get the nod vs France, his raw passion can still be a big plus in that atmosphere.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 6:01pm
Yeah Stevens is out injured again and wouldn't be surprised if he's left leave in the summer when his contract is up, unless they want to keep him around as back up given he covers LWB and LCB.

If they sort out their transfer embargo issues I wouldn't be surprised to see them push to sign Ryan Manning on a free.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 6:19pm

Definitely. 
His clubs have in the past have had to ask him to stop training so much on his own time. I'd say he takes some pleasure hammering the younger players for times during training. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 6:23pm

Yeah Stevens is out injured again and wouldn't be surprised if he's left leave in the summer when his contract is up, unless they want to keep him around as back up given he covers LWB and LCB.

If they sort out their transfer embargo issues I wouldn't be surprised to see them push to sign Ryan Manning on a free.

I'm not sure Ryan is a PL wing back, but it would be interesting to see. Dont think Kenny could continue to overlook him if he got that move (and played regularly).
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 6:31pm

I'm not sure Ryan is a PL wing back, but it would be interesting to see. Dont think Kenny could continue to overlook him if he got that move (and played regularly).

Sheffield United aren't a PL team neither

Though even if they go up can't see them throwing money at it like last time given the signings turned out to be flops bar two or three. They'll probably do a Norwich and strengthen with a view to having a good team for another promotion push if relegation happens.

Edited by J89 - 13 Feb 2023 at 6:32pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 6:45pm

Sheffield United aren't a PL team neither

Though even if they go up can't see them throwing money at it like last time given the signings turned out to be flops bar two or three. They'll probably do a Norwich and strengthen with a view to having a good team for another promotion push if relegation happens.

Ah I think the Blades will do it LOL, 10 point lead over Boro with a game in hand and just 16 games to play. They look an experienced enough bunch to see it through. Burnley look certs also. Will be nice to see Egan and Cullen make the step up (again obviously in Egan's case). Let's hope Obafemi can make inroads in to that Burnley team also.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 434435436437438 460>
  Share Topic