Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 426427428429430 460>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 9:05am
Is it 93 caps now?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I've always maintained his crossing isn't as bad as people make it out to be. His delivery had a minimum 7/10 success rate against Scotland and he's usually good for one dangerous cross whipped in at speed to a dangerous area in any given game.

Exactly James played well on Saturday.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Gets a lot of stick for his crossing abilities but I thought he put some great balls in to the box yesterday from both open play, and corners. I would have been critical of his crossing abilities myself in the past, so credit where it is due.

He did yesterday but he is rightly criticized when he doesn't perform just like anyone else. He was absolutely horrendous in the previous 2 games. Not one cross met its target, like nowhere even near it bad. He was much improved yesterday but it shouldn't be lauded, as a professional footballer playing at the level he has for the past 15 years it should be one of the bare basics to be getting right. A solid performance yesterday doesn't take away from 2 stinkers he had prior to it.

The point is that if Doherty isn’t playing there, he’s still probably our best option at left back when you consider our lot. The lad has a serious amount of caps for us, never gives less than 100 per cent, has some great performances for us but still always seems like an easy target for some (sure some head banger posted up in the match thread that his crossing was sh*te yesterday LOL)

You have to wonder what game people are watching, his crossing was terrible yesterday and embarrassing over his entire ireland career. 

There are pros and cons to mcclean but crossing the ball has never been a pro. 

No surprise to see you on here criticising him. With your selective criticism. In the match day thread, you spend the whole night having a go at Duffy and McClean, McClean and Duff and called out their mistakes every time, yet when others made a mistake you turned a blind eye. 

His crossing yesterday was excellent. On RTE the commentators lauded his crossing and they also spoke about it during and after the game.

I was at the game and watched it back yesterday and he hit 2 poor crosses in the whole game. He had a great game yesterday.

Edit - it's great to see others calling you out on this too.

Edited by horsebox - 13 Jun 2022 at 9:24am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 9:39am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Is it 93 caps now?

Yep, same as Aiden McGeady

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I've always maintained his crossing isn't as bad as people make it out to be. His delivery had a minimum 7/10 success rate against Scotland and he's usually good for one dangerous cross whipped in at speed to a dangerous area in any given game.

Exactly James played well on Saturday.

Offensively he did defensively he wasn't great especially in that first half! Ralston got past him a couple of times with ease.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:29am

Is it 93 caps now?

Yep hopefully he can make the 100 for us, if anyone deserves to reach it, it would be him imo.

Just wondering if we can be drawn against Northern Ireland in the Euro Qualifiers (could you imagine him getting his 100th against them LOL )
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:30am
I'm surprised he didn't aim for 32 caps and then retire.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:44am
LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I'm surprised he didn't aim for 32 caps and then retire.

LOL

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:47am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Gets a lot of stick for his crossing abilities but I thought he put some great balls in to the box yesterday from both open play, and corners. I would have been critical of his crossing abilities myself in the past, so credit where it is due.

He did yesterday but he is rightly criticized when he doesn't perform just like anyone else. He was absolutely horrendous in the previous 2 games. Not one cross met its target, like nowhere even near it bad. He was much improved yesterday but it shouldn't be lauded, as a professional footballer playing at the level he has for the past 15 years it should be one of the bare basics to be getting right. A solid performance yesterday doesn't take away from 2 stinkers he had prior to it.

The point is that if Doherty isn’t playing there, he’s still probably our best option at left back when you consider our lot. The lad has a serious amount of caps for us, never gives less than 100 per cent, has some great performances for us but still always seems like an easy target for some (sure some head banger posted up in the match thread that his crossing was sh*te yesterday LOL)

You have to wonder what game people are watching, his crossing was terrible yesterday and embarrassing over his entire ireland career. 

There are pros and cons to mcclean but crossing the ball has never been a pro. 

No surprise to see you on here criticising him. With your selective criticism. In the match day thread, you spend the whole night having a go at Duffy and McClean, McClean and Duff and called out their mistakes every time, yet when others made a mistake you turned a blind eye. 

His crossing yesterday was excellent. On RTE the commentators lauded his crossing and they also spoke about it during and after the game.

I was at the game and watched it back yesterday and he hit 2 poor crosses in the whole game. He had a great game yesterday.

Edit - it's great to see others calling you out on this too.

I can only remember a couple too. One from a short corner in the 2nd half, can't remember the other.

His crossing was probably the most consistent that I've seen it before. Anyone trying to make the case otherwise is talking nonsense.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:52am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Is it 93 caps now?

Yep hopefully he can make the 100 for us, if anyone deserves to reach it, it would be him imo.

Just wondering if we can be drawn against Northern Ireland in the Euro Qualifiers (could you imagine him getting his 100th against them LOL )

Think the only way he's not reaching a 100 is if he gets a serious injury that rules him out. The guys like Wolverine and would take something serious to stop him playing for Ireland.

Possible five caps left this year and ten next year as you'd assume we'd have two friendlies if we end up in a five team group to make up the numbers.

Interesting to see whether Kenny gives him the captain's armband on Tuesday with Egan and Duffy out, or does he go with someone like Cullen.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:36am
Will make 100 caps easily now if he stays fit. There's really not much competition there - Stevens looks done at this level, Manning just isn't good enough, Scales has been found out in Scotland and Doherty is needed on the right with Coleman struggling.

Possibly Bagan or Adaramola will make the step up in a year or two but in the mean time it looks like McClean has a clear run at the position.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:40am
That's some back tracking LOL.

Tony Ralson hit him with a challenge which probably put him off a little. This is very clear. So I don't know how you can come up with this 'defender was nowhere near him.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:42am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Is it 93 caps now?

Think the only way he's not reaching a 100 is if he gets a serious injury that rules him out. The guys like Wolverine and would take something serious to stop him playing for Ireland.

Possible five caps left this year and ten next year as you'd assume we'd have two friendlies if we end up in a five team group to make up the numbers.

Interesting to see whether Kenny gives him the captain's armband on Tuesday with Egan and Duffy out, or does he go with someone like Cullen.

I haven't heard of any friendlies being set up for October though, I think leagues are using that time to counter the break from November to December for the World Cup so I don't think there will be any more international breaks this year, maybe a pre-WC friendly for teams but even then I think time is tight on that.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:55am

Is it 93 caps now?

I haven't heard of any friendlies being set up for October though, I think leagues are using that time to counter the break from November to December for the World Cup so I don't think there will be any more international breaks this year, maybe a pre-WC friendly for teams but even then I think time is tight on that.

Pretty sure was reported back in November or March that we've a friendly November at home and one away friendly.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:56am
There is a friendly scheduled for November, I saw this listed as an event on my ST.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 2:00pm

Is it 93 caps now?

Maybe a mini friendly tournament around the time of the world cup, with a few other countries not going to the world cup like Iceland, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Northern Ireland etc. Pick mostly a youthful or periphery players squad. Get some debuts out of the way more game time and experience to the lads under 23. Would be really good for the pre-euro prep and increasing the squad size.  Would be a good chance to see players who are on the cusp of the senior squad, the likes of Ronan, Smallbone, Kilkenny, Coventry, Sykes, McNamara etc, I say more names will pop up if they start the season well next season. 

Edited by darman28 - 13 Jun 2022 at 2:02pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 6:48pm
There'll be no luck needed whatsoever but no surprise given your strong dislike for the player.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 426427428429430 460>
  Share Topic