You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 422423424425426 460>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 9:57am
88. Will have his work cut out to make the ton but he'll go into the 90s at least. Didn't get his first cap until just short of his 23rd birthday as well, so it's really good going to be even in with a shout of 100.
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 9:57am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Hope he makes the 100 club

Me too, great servant, wears his heart on his sleeve, not a lad for the purists, but he has often put in big shifts for us. How many caps is he on now?

88 i think?

I think. that's right wiki have him on 87 but they probably haven't updated last night's?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Hope he makes the 100 club

Me too, great servant, wears his heart on his sleeve, not a lad for the purists, but he has often put in big shifts for us. How many caps is he on now?

88 i think?

I think. that's right wiki have him on 87 but they probably haven't updated last night's?

Yeah, I'd say it might be unlikely that he hits the 100 as he will need to retain his place in the squad getting minutes through both the NL campaign and the subsequent ECQ campaign to have a chance and he is pushing on. 
Idah Dream!
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:33am
I think James had a mixed game. There was one stage that a ball dropped in front of him in the second half and he took a horrendous touch. If he had controlled it he was on for a shot or to create a chance. Lovely pass then to Knight for the Ogbene goal. 

I thought Stevens was poor against Portugal and didn't deserve to keep his place. We were better for having McClean in there I think. 

My preferred solution would have been Doherty LWB, Coleman RWB and Collins or Omobamidele getting the game at centre half. Doherty did well LWB against Portgual. Although he was very good last night and really involved (second most touches after Cullen) which may have been due to playing in his preferred position on his preferred side. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 15 Nov 2021 at 10:34am
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:58am
he will make 100 caps no prob. Stays super fit, Kenny is a fan and we play shed loads of games each year. He’ll be fully involved through the next qualifying campaign. 100+ caps for the Derry man. Playing better than stevens at mo but will likely come under pressure from Doherty when everyone is fit.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:09pm
I think he has a really good chance of getting to the 100. He was a late starter for Ireland as noted above, he had to wait for clearance after playing underage for NI, but he is a great professional who keeps himself very fit. Kenny trusts him, he knows him from way back in the Derry City days, and he will always be an option from the bench when he doesn't start. Should be back in the Championship next season with Wigan, likewise Will Keane.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I think he has a really good chance of getting to the 100. He was a late starter for Ireland as noted above, he had to wait for clearance after playing underage for NI, but he is a great professional who keeps himself very fit. Kenny trusts him, he knows him from way back in the Derry City days, and he will always be an option from the bench when he doesn't start. Should be back in the Championship next season with Wigan, likewise Will Keane.

I'd be shocked if they didn't look for an upgrade on Keane. Averaged about 1 in 10 at Championship level. James Collins scored way more than him at League One level and has struggled at Championship and international level.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:30pm
Not sure he'll make 100 to be honest. That's about 2 years of games at international level but agree he's been a fantastic servant.

I'm not sure he's ideally suited to the way we are trying to play either. Generally speaking his crossing is poor, he's been poor when defending against Portugal, vs Andorra and last night was not perfect shall we say.

The superlatives used to describe him are pretty spot on, "wears heart on sleeve," , "gives 100%", "gets stuck in", "good impact player", "leaves nothing on the pitch" etc  not really words that really describe a footballer.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I'd be shocked if they didn't look for an upgrade on Keane. Averaged about 1 in 10 at Championship level. James Collins scored way more than him at League One level and has struggled at Championship and international level.

I'd imagine the upgrade on Keane is already there, it's just a matter of time imo before Idah and Connolly in particular, but also Parrott, Obafemi, Scully put real pressure on the likes of Keane and Collins for a place in the squad. For the moment Keane and Collins are playing the role of experienced back up to the likes of Robinson, Ogbene and Idah, but we have to hope the younger lads will continue to develop (it isnt always linear) and replace them in time. For now Keane is there on merit imo and he is competing with the likes of the 2 years older Collins, who I think will be dispensed with and Hogan/Maguire for that experienced back up striker role.
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Not sure he'll make 100 to be honest. That's about 2 years of games at international level but agree he's been a fantastic servant.

I'm not sure he's ideally suited to the way we are trying to play either. Generally speaking his crossing is poor, he's been poor when defending against Portugal, vs Andorra and last night was not perfect shall we say.

The superlatives used to describe him are pretty spot on, "wears heart on sleeve," , "gives 100%", "gets stuck in", "good impact player", "leaves nothing on the pitch" etc  not really words that really describe a footballer.

He's been playing in this campaign on merit. He played very well last night and put in some great crosses. Your only as good as your last game.

Fact is, he's competing for 2nd spot with Stevens who are both behind Doherty.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

He's been playing in this campaign on merit. He played very well last night and put in some great crosses. Your only as good as your last game.

Fact is, he's competing for 2nd spot with Stevens who are both behind Doherty.

He is there on merit but we all know his strengths and limitations by now. Hes doing very well in league1 with Wigan but he's playing in a forward role, not left wing or left wing back. 

Players like Manning should be given a shout in the team now, I thought Doherty and Coleman playing on the left and right against Portugal looked promising.

He shouldn't be guaranteed a role in the team and competition is vital come March. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:06pm
Hes 33 in April next year, when Euro qualifiers start in March 2023 he'll be a month shy of his 34th birthday and 35 by the times the finals are played should we qualify.

As much as I love James, I dont think he has it in him to be a starting regular for us for much longer. Particularly in a demanding role like wingback.

Stevens is no spring chicken either.

I think Manning needs a good look in and we should hope someone like Scales can kick on as natural replacements for the pair.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:08pm
not mccleans biggest fan but he did well yesterday.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Hes 33 in April next year, when Euro qualifiers start in March 2023 he'll be a month shy of his 34th birthday and 35 by the times the finals are played should we qualify.

As much as I love James, I dont think he has it in him to be a starting regular for us for much longer. Particularly in a demanding role like wingback.

Stevens is no spring chicken either.

I think Manning needs a good look in and we should hope someone like Scales can kick on as natural replacements for the pair.

Agreed, I think time is against him in his quest to get to 100, particularly given we dont really need to see him in friendlies, as we know what he's all about. I think he'll maintain his squad spot on merit at least for this season and probably next season also, assuming Wigan go up and he continues to start for them, but after that who knows? You'd like to think that at least one of the likes of Manning, Scales, O'Connor, Bagan and Furlong would improve past himself and Stevens over the next 12 to 18 months.
Idah Dream!
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 10:38pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 3:32pm
McClean then decided to give his take on the documentary and firstly began by claiming that it was biased by referred to it as “A Game of Two Halves mainly told by one half.”

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

McClean then decided to give his take on the documentary and firstly began by claiming that it was biased by referred to it as “A Game of Two Halves mainly told by one half.”

LOL

I mean he's not wrong. It was a propaganda piece. I thought journalism was supposed to be impartial and tell the truth. Not one side's truth.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

LOL

I mean he's not wrong. It was a propaganda piece. I thought journalism was supposed to be impartial and tell the truth. Not one side's truth.

No I haven''t seen it myself but thought what McClean said was funny. 

I certainly wouldn't take anything that uncle Tom Gerry Armstrong says as gospel. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 422423424425426 460>
  Share Topic