You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 399400401402403 460>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:19pm
in the news again. Will the authorities ever stamp out anti-Irish racism?

do many of our other players receive it?
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:20pm
The authorities are unable to stamp out any kind of racism it seems
Black players abused on a weekly basis

Theirs are highlighted though, McCleans very rarely is unless he does it himself 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:27pm
Finally seeing support from some of his fellow and former teammates. What the fock took so long?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Finally seeing support from some of his fellow and former teammates. What the fock took so long?

It's easier to hide than stand up and be counted. 

You only need to look at some of the Irish performances on the pitch.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 9:29pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

in the news again. Will the authorities ever stamp out anti-Irish racism?

do many of our other players receive it?

The English like to say that McClean brings it on himself but Alan McCormack and Paul McShane have also been racially abused recently along with God knows how many others who don't report it.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 10:46pm
Im going to say we, do we perceive irish jibes as racist. Take James aside as in fairness he may come accross as a bit anti english. I dont think he is but he puts himself out there. Im not saying he has done anything wrong. But in general what do we think? I mean is there anything that bad that could be said to us?
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:01pm
We are the same as any other white people with the same opportunities, top of the food chain basically, I couldn't care less about jibes from a minority of idiots, my experience living in the UK is that we're treated as equals.  
James has a chip on his shoulder against the English, that's the vibe I get from him. This will be an unpopular opinion but I think he wants to find problems.
Hopefully they find the idiots sending threats though that can't be tolerated. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

We are the same as any other white people with the same opportunities, top of the food chain basically, I couldn't care less about jibes from a minority of idiots, my experience living in the UK is that we're treated as equals.  
James has a chip on his shoulder against the English, that's the vibe I get from him. This will be an unpopular opinion but I think he wants to find problems.
Hopefully they find the idiots sending threats though that can't be tolerated. 
Yeah I get the impression he was looking for death threats for his family too LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Im going to say we, do we perceive irish jibes as racist. Take James aside as in fairness he may come accross as a bit anti english. I dont think he is but he puts himself out there. Im not saying he has done anything wrong. But in general what do we think? I mean is there anything that bad that could be said to us?

I was watching Four in a Bed (good show) recently and there was a Scottish couple and an Irish mother and daughter on it. They were sitting at the breakfast table and the Scottish man made a quip about the Irish mother and daughter being stupid, you know, since they're Irish, while they sat there in visible discomfort and awkwardness. The same belittling behaviour that was once, unfortunately, so casual, common and ingrained towards black people before society started changing for the better.

I was also watching The Chase Australia and the host starts talking like a leprechaun every time an Ireland related question comes up. He doesn't start mimicking Welsh, English or Scottish accents when they come up, strangely enough.

I could be here all day but the point is I struggle to think of any other nationalities that still attract the same casual piss-taking, racism and lazy stereotyping.

Yeah we share the same skin pigmentation but that's ignoring historical context. It's 130 years since Punch magazine caricaturised the Irish as simians, it's barely over a hundred years since black people were referred to as smoked Irish and pogroms took place to drive Irish people out of settlements in America, and it's barely over 50 years since "No Blacks, No Dogs and No Irish" signs were hung up in businesses in England.

So it's clearly more complicated and insidious than the banter it's often portrayed as.

It's also just 5 years since the New York Times! had to issue an apology for portraying Irish students as an "embarrassment" and defaming the students who died in that balcony collapse as drunks: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/17/new-york-times-apologizes-ireland-balcony-collapse
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:23pm
We pretty much sl*g all other countries at some level, the Welsh, Scottish, Ozzies etc. 
I mean if you think Irish people are in any way hindered by their nationality you're nuts, we are EU citizens, white, and about as privileged by birth as it gets. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:24pm
to be fair to him he has grown up in Derry so you can understand why he is more sensitive to it.
Also what he is highlighting is that there is a big campaign highlighting other forms of racism and he had been subjected to abuse for years and is just asking the question why not.

I think it’s very fair question.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:31pm

We pretty much sl*g all other countries at some level, the Welsh, Scottish, Ozzies etc. 
I mean if you think Irish people are in any way hindered by their nationality you're nuts, we are EU citizens, white, and about as privileged by birth as it gets. 

Ya every country has its jibes. And the drunk one we get...eh its mainly bang on as much as we like to think its not. Personally i dont really get offended as i dont feel inferior to anyone or any nation. 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

It's still not nearly as strong and widespread as it should be. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:46pm
I dont see why some people need to insist on these racial hierarchical victim levels with black people on the bottom, I really don't see how they help anyone. 

Either it's racism or it's not. Saying its not racist because your skin is white is tragic irony so astonishing that it needs to been seen as a form of miracle.

I think James doesn't do himself any favours and If someone calls him * insert irish stereotype here* on social media. Well, we all know that you're not going to rid the world of morons.

but death threats to him and his family whether he's irish or not, is completely insane and unacceptable.

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:47pm

I'd presume by making a comment like that you must be a young fella. That is the case now, by and large, but as recently as the 1980s being Irish in the UK was a massive hindrance. And 'sl*gging' is not the same as blatant discrimination 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 12:00am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ya every country has its jibes. And the drunk one we get...eh its mainly bang on as much as we like to think its not. Personally i dont really get offended as i dont feel inferior to anyone or any nation. 

You can't win either way. I know more than one Irish person who doesn't drink and news of this has been received with astonishment and condescension; almost an inquisition.

Don't get me started on how these stereotypes surrounding alcohol abuse and merriment might fester and hinder Irish people when trying to compete for high-paying jobs.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:05am
James McClean doesn't drink and has for the last decade or so nailed down a high paying job in England where competition for such jobs is fierce. The threats to his family go beyond the moron level and into the criminal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 399400401402403 460>
  Share Topic