You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 396397398399400 460>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:38am
We'll find out soon enough at the rate his career is going.
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Energetic, hard working and direct as always adding in assists, goals,
match winning goals, MOTM performances, and player of the year acolades.
too. Exactly what we've come to expect from him.

James forever delivering results

Some bromance you have there horsebox...

However we've all seen mcclean play 100 times and we know he's not Messi. 

He's a hard working limited player but if he's putting in a shift again he may be a good option for ireland 

Just enjoying the reaction.

Seems some are only happy when players are not doing well.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 9:27am

I'd guarantee you James will win back his place in the team, he's always rose to the challenge.

Why don't you park your negativity for the moment. 2 games into the season ffs.

Bump.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 9:50am
I don't really get the calls to drop McClean from the starting line up. I thought he played very well in Slovakia, should've done better with the chance but his crossing was a lot better than it was before. 

Seems to be doing well for his club so he's earned his starting place in the side. I know Connolly has a strong case to start games but I would nearly drop Hourihane for McClean instead especially if we're up against a better side. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 10:09am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I don't really get the calls to drop McClean from the starting line up. I thought he played very well in Slovakia, should've done better with the chance but his crossing was a lot better than it was before. 

Seems to be doing well for his club so he's earned his starting place in the side. I know Connolly has a strong case to start games but I would nearly drop Hourihane for McClean instead especially if we're up against a better side. 

So you'd drop a centre midfielder for a left winger?

Where's the logic in that?

McClean style of play doesn't suit a possession based brand of football which is fairly evident, hence the calls for him to be dropped from the starting 11.

Edited by Green Devil - 01 Nov 2020 at 10:13am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 10:30am
The possession based brand of football is working well so far. 1 goal in 5 games from a centre half that most want out of the team
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 10:35am

The possession based brand of football is working well so far. 1 goal in 5 games from a centre half that most want out of the team

Id rather watch what has been before us the last 5 games than the utter dirge that was served up for years before tbh. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 10:53am
I think you can still make a case to keep McClean in the squad - I'd rate him as our third best option on the left wing and possibly also our third pick at left back. So, for now, he's just about worth a squad place as he covers a couple of positions, even though he doesn't suit our style of play.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 10:53am

Did anyone expect results to be brilliant straight away or am I missing something? 

Also, there aren't too many who want Duffy out of the team as of right now. If his club form continues to stutter then of course a case can be made for him being dropped too.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 10:54am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think you can still make a case to keep McClean in the squad - I'd rate him as our third best option on the left wing and possibly also our third pick at left back. So, for now, he's just about worth a squad place as he covers a couple of positions, even though he doesn't suit our style of play.

Most definitely and I'd feel the same, he should be in the squad no question.

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Did anyone expect results to be brilliant straight away or am I missing something? 

Also, there aren't too many who want Duffy out of the team as of right now. If his club form continues to stutter then of course a case can be made for him being dropped too.
The only form that matters a jot is every players form for us, their club form means nada to the international set up once they are doing a job for us 
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:48am

LOL
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:49am

Our results will never be brilliant. As the goal posts will continue to move.

I've no issue if Kenny never picks him again, it's his choice.

Whether McClean plays any role in future games remains to be seen, but the fact is, he delivers, he always rises to the challenge.

Just look a few pages back here and he was being dismissed, and 2/3 weeks later he's back in the team, scoring goals and winning games.

If you take O'Dowda as an example, who appears to be 1st choice under Kenny. He has done nothing in the game, just coasting by games usually on the bench.

He's played 21 games for Ireland in 4 years with 1 assist, he's technically a far superior player than McClean.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:23pm
Mcclean, odowda, Horgan, Shane Long, Brady, maguire,  they're all poor players but the best we have available. You could argue Whelan could still be selected.

We're 2 years away from potentially seeing a better team come through, with no guarantees of that either.

Mcclean doesn't need to play well for Stoke to be selected for ireland, he just needs to be playing.
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:39pm

McClean style of play doesn't suit a possession based brand of football which is fairly evident, hence the calls for him to be dropped from the starting 11.
A possession based brand of football still requires actual productivity with goals and chances created. Something which the majority of our players “style of play” doesn’t suit. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

The only form that matters a jot is every players form for us, their club form means nada to the international set up once they are doing a job for us 

I disagree completely there, you can't ignore a players club form and then expect them to suddenly perform for Ireland.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

A possession based brand of football still requires actual productivity with goals and chances created. Something which the majority of our players “style of play” doesn’t suit. 

That's football in a nutshell though, be it a direct brand, possession based brand, all out attacking brand etc 

A possession based style most certainly does suit a lot of our players, especially the young ones who are much more technically gifted and comfortable on the ball than from many of our teams of yester-year.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:15pm

Only If our set up is 3 in the middle, you could put McClean in that LCM position to accommodate Connolly ahead of him. I would give it a go if Hourihane's form is poor. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 396397398399400 460>
  Share Topic