Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 392393394395396 460>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Or the fact Celtic have indeed contacted Stoke about taking him to Paradise may have something to do with it Thumbs Up

Source?

An Phoblacht
Sponsored Links

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 7:46pm
O'Neill has played down the Celtic rumours and described McClean as ' not a player we are looking to lose' but has admitted that offers for any their players would have to be considered due to the FFP rules and the club having what he called a 'bloated' squad. Said it was ' highly unlikely' that James would be leaving during current transfer window.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:21pm
Has something happened there seeing as he was there player of the season last year?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:34pm
Stoke are playing with wing backs again and Morgan Fox , a recent signing, has done well on the left. Official line re McClean is that he missed a couple of pre-season games on international duty and only played 15 mins when getting his 73rd cap against Finland. So O'Neill is saying he expects James to play his way back in to the Stoke team.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:22pm

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 22 Sep 2020 at 9:22pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:36pm
Seems like Rangers are in for him ........................... errrrr sorry Queens Park Rangers 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Seems like Rangers are in for him ........................... errrrr sorry Queens Park Rangers 
Wonder how ybiggers' hearts stopped for a moment when they read this? NukeLOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Stoke are playing with wing backs again and Morgan Fox , a recent signing, has done well on the left. Official line re McClean is that he missed a couple of pre-season games on international duty and only played 15 mins when getting his 73rd cap against Finland. So O'Neill is saying he expects James to play his way back in to the Stoke team.
How does he play his way in to the team though without....errr....playing? Just like the whole 'match fitness' conundrum 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Wonder how ybiggers' hearts stopped for a moment when they read this? NukeLOL

Alan Judge, Daryl Murphy and Conor Hourihane have been linked with Rangers over the years and all three have said they wouldn't even contemplate signing for them because of how it would be received at home. I'm pretty sure all three of them attracted criticism for saying that, Judge certainly did.

If lads from Dublin, Waterford and Cork won't countenance the idea of playing for them, only a buffoon would think there's even a 1% chance of McClean doing so.

Jon Daly and Alan Smith, to my mind, are the only Irish-born players to play for Rangers in living memory. Shane Ferguson, who was once linked to us as a catholic Northern Irish player, also briefly played for them.

Interestingly, Ferguson, like McClean, is from Derry.
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Alan Judge, Daryl Murphy and Conor Hourihane have been linked with Rangers over the years and all three have said they wouldn't even contemplate signing for them because of how it would be received at home. I'm pretty sure all three of them attracted criticism for saying that, Judge certainly did.

If lads from Dublin, Waterford and Cork won't countenance the idea of playing for them, only a buffoon would think there's even a 1% chance of McClean doing so.

Jon Daly and Alan Smith, to my mind, are the only Irish-born players to play for Rangers in living memory. Shane Ferguson, who was once linked to us as a catholic Northern Irish player, also briefly played for them.

I don't think Alan Smith ever actually made a competitive first team appearance. Just Daly.

This was an interesting read ....

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I don't think Alan Smith ever actually made a competitive first team appearance. Just Daly.

This was an interesting read ....

I forgot about Rob Kiernan. That's another one.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:51pm
In 2011, a Catholic kid from Limavady called Aaron McGregor with a GAA background signed for Rangers and provoked a sectarian backlash from their knuckledraggers. I don't know what became of him. Shane Ferguson also had a GAA background but was more accepted because he played for NI. I don't know if he contemplated switching or if his initial refusal to play for them was down to that balloon Nigel Worthington, who was the NI manager at the time.
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 8:28pm
Alan Maybury was on trial with the huns when he was younger - he is Protestant though so that might explain that. I remember him saying he used get dogs abuse when he'd wear the gear they let him keep back home. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 10:31pm
I'd be interested to know what happened to Aaron McGregor. Was he signed because of his name or who he played for, so the Rangers scouts assumed he was a Prod? Last I heard he signed a two year deal in 2011 and left after one year, having been subjected to death threats and rabid sectarian abuse. Lovely welcome for a teenage boy living away from home for the first time. Maybe an enterprising journalist somewhere could look into this ? The lad is still young enough to be playing football somewhere if he has not been permanently scarred by his experience of the blue end of Glasgow.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 10:48pm

I'd be interested to know what happened to Aaron McGregor. Was he signed because of his name or who he played for, so the Rangers scouts assumed he was a Prod? Last I heard he signed a two year deal in 2011 and left after one year, having been subjected to death threats and rabid sectarian abuse. Lovely welcome for a teenage boy living away from home for the first time. Maybe an enterprising journalist somewhere could look into this ? The lad is still young enough to be playing football somewhere if he has not been permanently scarred by his experience of the blue end of Glasgow.
Complaining about rabid sectarian abuse seems a bit hollow when unnecessarily using slurs about Protestants. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 11:18pm

Shane Ferguson also had a GAA background but was more accepted because he played for NI. I don't know if he contemplated switching or if his initial refusal to play for them was down to that balloon Nigel Worthington, who was the NI manager at the time.
Having been capped by NI over 30 times at under-age level, Shane declined a call up to the senior squad by Nigel Worthington. This led to speculation that he was about to switch, causing the FAI to approach him. He was on Newcastle's books at the time.

However it was actually a personal thing between him and Worthington and he promptly accepted the first call up by Michael O'Neill. He clearly never had any intention of switching, as was subsequently confirmed by his U-21 manager:

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 11:40pm

In 2011, a Catholic kid from Limavady called Aaron McGregor with a GAA background signed for Rangers and provoked a sectarian backlash from their knuckledraggers. I don't know what became of him. Shane Ferguson also had a GAA background but was more accepted because he played for NI. I don't know if he contemplated switching or if his initial refusal to play for them was down to that balloon Nigel Worthington, who was the NI manager at the time.

I'm pretty sure one of Ferguson's parents is Scottish, perhaps they're from a background that would have made him more comfortable playing for them, and made the support more amenable to him.
We're decent enough..
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:42pm
Is mcclean injured? Strange he's not in the stoke squad tonight 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 392393394395396 460>
  Share Topic