You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 374375376377378 460>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Interesting article by Gareth McAuley , former team mate of James at West Brom , in today's Sunday Life newspaper.He likes James personally and praises his dedication as a pro footballer but despairs of his lack of judgement as exemplified by this latest nonsense, which McAuley says he was put up to by a so-called 'friend'. He considers James easily led and constantly trying to impress people-like when he bought a Lamborghini when he was at Sunderland,despite not having a driving licence, only for the then manager Martin O'Neill to order him to return it, and eating a fish eye in Barcelona when other players dared him to. Apparently he has also refused to engage with the PFA despite criticising them for not doing enough about the abuse he has received. McAuley reckons Michael O'Neill will be furious as he likes low maintenance players-hence his frustration over the years with the likes of Kyle Lafferty.
Surely your having a laugh! Gareth McAuley,Sunday life ! Get terri back. He would be more impartial!

Edited by King_Kenny - 29 Mar 2020 at 8:43pm
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:47am
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Interesting article by Gareth McAuley , former team mate of James at West Brom , in today's Sunday Life newspaper.He likes James personally and praises his dedication as a pro footballer but despairs of his lack of judgement as exemplified by this latest nonsense, which McAuley says he was put up to by a so-called 'friend'. He considers James easily led and constantly trying to impress people-like when he bought a Lamborghini when he was at Sunderland,despite not having a driving licence, only for the then manager Martin O'Neill to order him to return it, and eating a fish eye in Barcelona when other players dared him to. Apparently he has also refused to engage with the PFA despite criticising them for not doing enough about the abuse he has received. McAuley reckons Michael O'Neill will be furious as he likes low maintenance players-hence his frustration over the years with the likes of Kyle Lafferty.
Surely your having a laugh! Gareth McAuley,Sunday life ! Get terri back. He would be more impartial! 

Here is the article in full, so that others may choose who to believe, you or Big G. (I know who my money's on)

James McClean has always lacked judgement . . . but his latest action is indefensible

I've always tried to defend my controversial pal James McClean.

He can be daft, stupid and irresponsible but I know, from our days at West Brom together, he has a good heart.

When it comes to football, he is a terrific trainer, giving his all, pushing himself to the extreme and in some regards maybe does too much. Football wise, you will not find someone who works harder and his tackling is raw and full blooded.

He doesn't drink, looks after himself physically and it was this dedication that I admired about James at West Brom.

We obviously had major differences in opinion, especially politically and on the poppy, but were able to park that and be friends. While I didn't agree with him on all his stances, I could certainly understand where he was coming from, including when it came to not representing Northern Ireland.

I also knew he was easily led, lacked judgement and was constantly trying to impress people.

At Sunderland, he once bought a Lamborghini, without even having his driving test! Manager Martin O'Neill ordered him to return it.

On a West Brom trip to Barcelona, the one made famous with the players in the taxi, James ate a fish eye! We were in a restaurant and the waiters brought out an entire fish and proceeded to descale it up and serve it to some of the players.

James was egged on to eat the fish eye - it was like something out of I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here and the Bushtucker Trials and he munched his way through it as his team-mates cheered on. It was awful, but he did it.

Those things were silly. However, what James posted on social media this week, a picture of him wearing a balaclava while teaching his kids 'history', was stupid and deeply offensive.

He had to be encouraged to do it by one of his so called 'friends', I'm not convinced he would have thought of it himself. But he would have known it would have been seen offensive.

His club, Stoke City, were quick to act, fining him the maximum two weeks wages and ordering him to remove his Instagram account and as his friend, I can't defend him - it was needless and wrong.

I believe it undermines everything he has said about him being singled out and targeted when fans shout stuff about the IRA to him.

It throws a shadow of doubt over him and is anybody in authority going to take him seriously now?

It was ill-judged, he has brought this on himself and he now must deal with attention that didn't need to be coming his way.

I know for a fact the Professional Footballers' Association have tried to contact him and support him with regards the abuse he receives. But while James cries foul about not receiving help, he isn't interested in entering into any form of dialogue with the PFA.

Having played under Michael O'Neill, now manager of James at Stoke, he'll be fuming that an incident like this has placed the spotlight on one of his top players for all the wrong reasons.

The club have backed him so much in recent months that they'll think this is a slap in their face.

Michael will be annoyed that this is a distraction when the focus should be on supporting the country and NHS against this deadly coronavirus.

He prefers low maintenance players in his squads - that's why he is so frustrated by Kyle Lafferty.

James is a decent, talented footballer and I had a lot of time for him when we were together at West Brom. But his actions off the pitch have defined his career and that is incredibly sad.

He'll be remembered for being irresponsible, daft and lacking judgement.

And unfortunately due to his recent action, I can no longer defend the indefensible.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/sport/james-mcclean-has-always-lacked-judgement-but-his-latest-action-is-indefensible-39083960.html

[Incidentally, the Belfast Telegraph/Sunday Life is part of the Independent News and Media Group. That's "Independent" as in Irish Independent. You know, the Dublin-based newspaper group.]

Edited by Territorial - 30 Mar 2020 at 12:51am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:23am
The BelTel is a Unionist paper.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:01am
The Belfast Telegraph is indeed a unionist paper but to be fair to McAuley, an honest pro who came up to the Premiership the hard way through the lower leagues and enjoyed a longer than usual career through hard work and application, his comments cannot be construed as being in any way sectarian. They are candid certainly but fair and he was considerably more scathing about another former team-mate, Kyle Lafferty, in another recent article. I like McClean immensely , you don't hear about most of the generous things he has done as he doesn't go around shouting about them and I would always want him in the Ireland team, but no-one can be immune to criticism if they do stupid stuff on social media. The solution is to stay off it and hopefully James now will.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:45am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It used to be, but not any longer.

For in an effort to maximise readership from the two communities in NI, both in order to face the digital challenge, but also since IMG took over, the BT is now the newspaper equivalent of the Alliance Party. As such it leaves pure Unionism to the Newsletter and pure Nationalism to the Irish News.

But as it happens, this strategy isn't really working, since Nationalists still see it as Unionist and so aren't buying it (literally and figuratively), while many Unionists are turning away from it since it shifted its stance towards neutrality.

Norn Iron, eh!

In any case, whether it be editorially Unionist, Nationalist or Islamic Jihadi, it doesn't make any difference to what Big G actually said.

But hey ho, why bother with the message, when you can just shoot the messenger before he even opens his mouth? Shocked

Edited by Territorial - 30 Mar 2020 at 10:46am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:49am
Fair article by mcauley regardless of what publication it appears in  
AKA pedantic kunt
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:04am
Big claim to make that McClean has snubbed the PFA advances. Id imagine the PFA would have communicated as such.

I will take this with remark with a pinch of salt, saying 'Big G' thought it was a conspiracy that NI ended up in a Group with Germany and Holland LOL

On the rest of it, I cant find much fault. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:28am
Big GEmbarrassedLOL
TRV View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

It used to be, but not any longer.

For in an effort to maximise readership from the two communities in NI, both in order to face the digital challenge, but also since IMG took over, the BT is now the newspaper equivalent of the Alliance Party. As such it leaves pure Unionism to the Newsletter and pure Nationalism to the Irish News.

But as it happens, this strategy isn't really working, since Nationalists still see it as Unionist and so aren't buying it (literally and figuratively), while many Unionists are turning away from it since it shifted its stance towards neutrality.

Norn Iron, eh!

In any case, whether it be editorially Unionist, Nationalist or Islamic Jihadi, it doesn't make any difference to what Big G actually said.

But hey ho, why bother with the message, when you can just shoot the messenger before he even opens his mouth? Shocked

Irish / Sunday independent is a Unionist paper
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:47am
You only need to look at the 'journalists' who are writing for these papers to get an understanding of their targeted audience.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:28pm
If it was about marches, flegs, or GSTQ, you could certainly be sure the Bel Tel would have less to say about it in the way of criticism alright. Who knows, perhaps this is all just one big misunderstanding and McClean was simply keeping his head warm while giving his kids a history lesson Big smile
We're decent enough..
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:28pm
How can any paper with Ruth Dudley Edwards writing for be described as anything like impartial?
That said, McAuley doesn't say much that I don't agree with.

I think all fair minded people can agree on the following regarding McClean:

1 - He is entitled not to wear a poppy and has explained why with valid reasons
2 - He seems a likeable, generous man who has never forgotten his roots
3 - The abuse he gets in England is a disgrace
4 - He isn't the smartest with some of his postings on social media, and with some of the stuff he posts you have to wonder if he quite enjoys the controversy and attention that surrounds him. This recent Instagram post was totally stupid, but he knew what he was doing and probably sent it out to create a bit of a story.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 30 Mar 2020 at 12:33pm
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

If it was about marches, flegs, or GSTQ, you could certainly be sure the Bel Tel would have less to say about it in the way of criticism alright. Who knows, perhaps this is all just one big misunderstanding and McClean was simply keeping his head warm while giving his kids a history lesson Big smile
Gareth isn’t a fleg man. He’s more into kerbs.

McAuley told Rangers TV, " The opportunity to come and play at this famous club is amazing," 

"My family support the club, myself as well. The street I was born on, the kerbs were painted red, white and blue."

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

How can any paper with Ruth Dudley Edwards writing for be described as anything like impartial?
That said, McAuley doesn't say much that I don't agree with.

I think all fair minded people can agree on the following regarding McClean:

1 - He is entitled not to wear a poppy and has explained why with valid reasons
2 - He seems a likeable, generous man who has never forgotten his roots
3 - The abuse he gets in England is a disgrace
4 - He isn't the smartest with some of his postings on social media, and with some of the stuff he posts you have to wonder if he quite enjoys the controversy and attention that surrounds him. This recent Instagram post was totally stupid, but he knew what he was doing and probably sent it out to create a bit of a story.

Is McClean a bit of a scatterbrain? Yes. Do I like him as a player? Not really. Has he made a good living from football? Yes . Fair play to him. But it’s a low point for this forum when unionist rags are being quoted against him by members!

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:49pm
Think we should be focussing on McAuley's quotes on McClean rather than the paper they were in or any previous quotes from him on separate matters.
There isn't much he says that is wrong
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 2:02pm
 I believe it undermines everything he has said about him being singled out and targeted when fans shout stuff about the IRA to him.”

This was exactly what went through my head when I saw the post, but there is a lot of unnecessary bullsh*t in the article from Big G. Doesn’t seem like much of a friend. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 3:31pm

You only need to look at the 'journalists' who are writing for these papers to get an understanding of their targeted audience.

If you google "Belfast Telegraph columnists + opinions", it comes up with a list of articles, in the following order, most of them more than once or twice:
Mary Kenny
Eilis O'Hanlon
Ruth Dudley Edwards
Carl Frampton
Gareth McAuley
Kerry McLean
Lindy McDowell
Finola Meredith
Nelson McCausland
Alban Maginness
Malachi O'Doherty
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/

To take one example, Maginness argues that the only way to beat the virus will be through all-Ireland co-operation. Of course the various contributions aren't by any means confined to politics, nonetheless it is clear evidence of the paper's attempt to ride two horses at once.

And as I said earlier, this is not succeeding since the Nationalist horse won't let it near them, and the Unionist horse* is throwing it out of the saddle more and more.

* - The OWC forum now has a rule that you're not allowed to quote what they call "The Paper Which Shall Not Be Named". You can still get away with The Newsletter. And the Irish News.

Edited by Territorial - 30 Mar 2020 at 3:34pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 3:46pm
Most if not all of them are Unionists.

Finola Meredith is a partionist.

No neutral paper would have RDE (and\or to a lesser extent Eilis O'Hanlon) writing for it.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 374375376377378 460>
  Share Topic