You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 355356357358359 465>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 12:38am
One thing James contributes which people often forget is that he tracks back very well. He has made a few crucial tackles to save us this campaign.
Sponsored Links

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

One thing James contributes which people often forget is that he tracks back very well. He has made a few crucial tackles to save us this campaign.

Nobody forgets that. But the biggest contributor to us needing fellas to track back is him!

The issue is that he is making often making tackles to win the ball back a few phases after he gives it away. And if he wins it back he often gives it away again seconds later.

Would we be on the backfoot as much in games without a fella who loses the ball 20+ times a game? Very doubtful.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 7:56am
You have to weigh up every player's pros and cons over 90 mins. Increasingly, McClean's cons column has been on the rise over the last couple of years. 

Trap, O'Neill and Mick are all pragmatists, so it's completely understandable as to why he's remained a stalwart for the last decade. The idea that an attacking player would bust a gut to get back and defend was/is wankk material for these guys. But as has been noted, you have to breakdown his stats as things stand, and his net contribution is in the red. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 9:06am
Is there any chance he might be dropped this eve? 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

BSM rightly banned Icy Bread People for the comment, he's made few others comments too that slipped through the net, there is a few others too threading on thin ice according to the BSM.

Great moderating in fairness.
LOL
LOL
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I'd rather have him as an impact sub just based on his form this campaign. Maguire has been doing good in championship and shown the other day he has goals and assists in him when he is coming in from the left (he didmt get an assist but he was unlucky with that Parrott chance).
But I dont think Mick will change it, he'll go with the same team that played the swiss at home in my opinion apart from Doherty and Egan in for Coleman and keogh.

I do hope that McClean has one of his better games. I dont doubt he also has goals in him too. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 18 Nov 2019 at 9:51am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:04am
No, he won’t be dropped .

But if he can play to his skill set, he can be an asset. But he needs to be able to get that yard ahead of his marker. He gets no change on a onenon one basis, but if he can shake off his marker or get a yard ahead of him as the ball is being played.

Expecting him to convert into a conventional man beating winger is a little much. He either has to be stronger or quicker off the mark.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Think with his increasing self righteous attention seeking little tantrums and constant sense of victimhood McClean is very much becoming the Taylor Swift of Irish football.

What a w**ker comment. Not your first either.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
uibhfaillian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uibhfaillian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by uibhfaillian uibhfaillian wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I don’t agree that he is sh*te, but I respect anybody’s right to call him that! The use of the term is also relative, we are all aware that he is a good enough player to be paid lots of money to do it. It’s fair to say that he isn’t sh*t at football, but the poster thinks that he is comparatively sh*tter than the alternatives or that he isn’t good enough to play for Ireland now, not in the past. 
If your argument was entirely correct this place would be shut.

Nah, not having that. The comment we're referring to is sh*t in my view. You can say his form recently should see him replaced, that's a fair comment. 

That comment (both of them 1 and 2) I highlighted is bollocks.
So you can’t say any player is sh*t? 

Oh you can say what you like, but to say a player that has 65 caps for Ireland and scored 10 goals and made big contributions at times is sh*t, is just nonsense. 

You can call other opinions on here "bollocks" but object to the opinion that a player is sh*te? Theres a sinister irony there.

I'm not objecting to you or anyone else claiming he is sh*te, I'm calling you out on it because objectively speaking a player with 65 caps 10 goals and who has made the contributions he has made is by definition not sh*te.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uibhfaillian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:13am

Think with his increasing self righteous attention seeking little tantrums and constant sense of victimhood McClean is very much becoming the Taylor Swift of Irish football.

Tantrums? He has a go at a nomark hack who was having a go at him, is he not entitled to have a go back at him? This Comment says a lot about you
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uibhfaillian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:14am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What a w**ker comment. Not your first either.

Yep, 100%.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:15am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Not on your life I would believe.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:42am
if the alternative is Brady then McLean would be a better option.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:43am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

if the alternative is Brady then McLean would be a better option.
*McClean
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:27am
I like James 
despite his faults and mistakes he’s always liable to score for us 

Austria , Wales etc - great nights 
Ya never know lads 

Could be his night 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:31am

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I don’t agree that he is sh*te, but I respect anybody’s right to call him that! The use of the term is also relative, we are all aware that he is a good enough player to be paid lots of money to do it. It’s fair to say that he isn’t sh*t at football, but the poster thinks that he is comparatively sh*tter than the alternatives or that he isn’t good enough to play for Ireland now, not in the past. 
If your argument was entirely correct this place would be shut.

Nah, not having that. The comment we're referring to is sh*t in my view. You can say his form recently should see him replaced, that's a fair comment. 

That comment (both of them 1 and 2) I highlighted is bollocks.
So you can’t say any player is sh*t? 

Oh you can say what you like, but to say a player that has 65 caps for Ireland and scored 10 goals and made big contributions at times is sh*t, is just nonsense. 

You can call other opinions on here "bollocks" but object to the opinion that a player is sh*te? Theres a sinister irony there.

I'm not objecting to you or anyone else claiming he is sh*te, I'm calling you out on it because objectively speaking a player with 65 caps 10 goals and who has made the contributions he has made is by definition not sh*te.
But subjectively he could be, that’s the point. Also, most of those caps are in the past, so while someone may not think he was sh*te then they could still be of the opinion he is sh*te now.

Footballer playing badly gets called sh*t on internet.

Edited by pre Madonna - 18 Nov 2019 at 11:32am
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:33am
Strong chance he will see red mist this eve. May work in our favour or... 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

No, he won’t be dropped .

But if he can play to his skill set, he can be an asset. But he needs to be able to get that yard ahead of his marker. He gets no change on a onenon one basis, but if he can shake off his marker or get a yard ahead of him as the ball is being played.

Expecting him to convert into a conventional man beating winger is a little much. He either has to be stronger or quicker off the mark.

I find a lot of this is down to where he receives the ball. More often than not, and it's as symptomatic of our style of play as it is a critique of his ability, he receives the ball in the middle third of the pitch, leaving him with far too much to do to beat his man. He doesn't have the pace, or skill, to beat the defender in this situation.

His best chance at being effective is receiving the ball closer to their box and forcing corners, etc. But then that'll be down to the team pressing higher and attempting to play in the Denmark half, something I don't expect to see.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 355356357358359 465>
  Share Topic