FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 435436437438439 460>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

you have the two first choice wingers Duff and McGeady, both play left and right wing, then you have Stephen Hunt also, he can play either flank, other possible wingers that could be included, Pilkington, Treacy, Brady, Andy Keogh, Seamus Coleman.

The likes of Fahey, ward, foley, walters and even long can play on the wing either, and Hoolohan could even be tried out there (who knows what goes through traps head). So compared to the rest of the areas of the team i think the wings are by far and away our biggest area of strenght and depth.  for a 23 man squad i think it would be pragmatic for Trap to bring a utility man as the 4th winger, this is why i think (barring fitness) coleman and Foley may be favoured. My point is we have plenty of players already in the squad who can play on the wing, if an injury ciris occured over there.

This is the squad i think he will bring

3 Goal Keepers
Given
Westwood
Forde

7 Defenders
Dunne (cb)
St ledger (cb)
O'Shea (cb,rb, lb)
Kelly (rb, cb,)
Ward (lb, Lw)
O'Dea

8 Midfielers
Whelan (cm)
Andrews (cm)
Duff  (lm.rm)
Hunt (lm,rm)
McGeady (lm,rm)
McCarthy (cm)
Fahey (cm,rm)
Coleman (rb,rm)

5 Strikers
keane (CF)
Doyle (CF)
Long (CF,RW)
Walters (CF,lm,Rm)
Cox (CF)

others - lawrence, Treacy, Pilkington, Keogh, Hoolohan (might try him on wing), McLean

Ya I accept that but there's still room for someone to break into the squad as a designated winger. Your squad will be very close, if not the squad barring injuries (obviously plus a defender).

But there's a CM spot up for grabs between McCarthy/Gibson/Green. No matter how anyone plays, he is too much of a fan of those 3 to have anyone break past them even if say Meyler was to start playing regularly setting the PL alight. 

Whereas Im not so sure on the wings that he would swear by Coleman or Lawrence. as for the rest - Treacy is the only one that has made squads under him bar Brady who was called up for the croatia game from the 21s? So it is realistic to assume that somebody could be fast tracked through, and playing week in week out in the PL it could be McClean. 

Im not saying he deserves to be in it but its not exactly frightening competition for the 4th spot.

EDIT: Then again with the 5 strikers of which Long can and has played under him on the wing, would he go with 8 defenders?

Edited by Kerrzy - 09 Jan 2012 at 5:53pm
Sponsored Links

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

i hope you are right BB , he looks like a proper win for us , even more so than gibson was....
he said he is not going to switch back to N.I even if he never gets a cap for the R.O.I. Thats a conclusive enough statement for me. We are blessed with so many wingers that it might be very hard for him to break in to the 23, he would have to have a marvellous 2nd half to the season.
Coleman seems to be really struggling with fitness this season, went off injured again, i think coleman might struggle to make the grade. after the Euros, i would like to see the likes of Duff, and keane retire and give the next generation a chance.  

'mol on oige agus tiocfaidh siad'

Hunt, Duff and McGeady are nailed on for the flanks barring injuries. Then you have Lawrence and Coleman fighting for that 4th spot imo. But as Trap has shown in the past with the likes of Sledge and Cox, if he likes what he sees he will fasttrack players up the pecking order.

Coleman has hardly blown me away with impressive form this season, and tbh have never bought into the hype that has surrounded him since breaking into the Everton team, yet I accept he is a talent for the future. And Lawrence isn't the player he was; a bit OTT to say we are blessed with a lot of wingers. If he was a striker Id rule him out, but not a winger.
you have the two first choice wingers Duff and McGeady, both play left and right wing, then you have Stephen Hunt also, he can play either flank, other possible wingers that could be included, Pilkington, Treacy, Brady, Andy Keogh, Seamus Coleman.

The likes of Fahey, ward, foley, walters and even long can play on the wing either, and Hoolohan could even be tried out there (who knows what goes through traps head). So compared to the rest of the areas of the team i think the wings are by far and away our biggest area of strenght and depth.  for a 23 man squad i think it would be pragmatic for Trap to bring a utility man as the 4th winger, this is why i think (barring fitness) coleman and Foley may be favoured. My point is we have plenty of players already in the squad who can play on the wing, if an injury ciris occured over there.

This is the squad i think he will bring

3 Goal Keepers
Given
Westwood
Forde

7 Defenders
Dunne (cb)
St ledger (cb)
O'Shea (cb,rb, lb)
Kelly (rb, cb,)
Ward (lb, Lw)
O'Dea

8 Midfielers
Whelan (cm)
Andrews (cm)
Duff  (lm.rm)
Hunt (lm,rm)
McGeady (lm,rm)
McCarthy (cm)
Fahey (cm,rm)
Coleman (rb,rm)

5 Strikers
keane (CF)
Doyle (CF)
Long (CF,RW)
Walters (CF,lm,Rm)
Cox (CF)

others - lawrence, Treacy, Pilkington, Keogh, Hoolohan (might try him on wing), McLean

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

He tweeted that he's made up his mind to play for us and let's hope he continues his brilliant start under Martin O'Neill but it still might be a bit late in the day for him to be making the Euros, but who knows what might happen yet.

Says the fella that only said a month ago he shouldnt be anywhere near the squad for the next 18 months...

And I would stand by that Kerrzy, what I'm saying there is that players could get injured to open the door for him, I very much doubt he'll make the plane all the same.  
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 5:26pm

but maclean would need to be picked in the next squad and then to play well or perform well at least at training for trap to include him , if he doesnt make the next squad then its gets tougher and trap will always go with who he knows so he would go for coleman and lawrence then, maclean needs to keep up this current run of form

That goes without saying. Needs to prove he's more consistent than Coleman who can often be hit or miss
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 4:17pm
but maclean would need to be picked in the next squad and then to play well or perform well at least at training for trap to include him , if he doesnt make the next squad then its gets tougher and trap will always go with who he knows so he would go for coleman and lawrence then, maclean needs to keep up this current run of form
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 4:15pm
i think you are right kerrzy , there could be room for another winger
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 3:58pm

i hope you are right BB , he looks like a proper win for us , even more so than gibson was....
he said he is not going to switch back to N.I even if he never gets a cap for the R.O.I. Thats a conclusive enough statement for me. We are blessed with so many wingers that it might be very hard for him to break in to the 23, he would have to have a marvellous 2nd half to the season.
Coleman seems to be really struggling with fitness this season, went off injured again, i think coleman might struggle to make the grade. after the Euros, i would like to see the likes of Duff, and keane retire and give the next generation a chance.  

Hunt, Duff and McGeady are nailed on for the flanks barring injuries. Then you have Lawrence and Coleman fighting for that 4th spot imo. But as Trap has shown in the past with the likes of Sledge and Cox, if he likes what he sees he will fasttrack players up the pecking order.

Coleman has hardly blown me away with impressive form this season, and tbh have never bought into the hype that has surrounded him since breaking into the Everton team, yet I accept he is a talent for the future. And Lawrence isn't the player he was; a bit OTT to say we are blessed with a lot of wingers. If he was a striker Id rule him out, but not a winger.

Edited by Kerrzy - 09 Jan 2012 at 3:59pm
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 3:48pm

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

He tweeted that he's made up his mind to play for us and let's hope he continues his brilliant start under Martin O'Neill but it still might be a bit late in the day for him to be making the Euros, but who knows what might happen yet.

Says the fella that only said a month ago he shouldnt be anywhere near the squad for the next 18 months...
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 2:54pm
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 2:51pm
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 2:43pm
Looks 100% to me that he's on board for us
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

GAA (or any sport) isint what is 'holding back football in this country'. Lazy as Irish people who think the LOI is below them and prefer to support a 'good' foregin team is the problem. If everyone that called themselves football fans went to see their local team we would have a fantastic wee league in this country and the GAA would still be as big as it is.

i agree showgies but we have had this debate a million times, unless irish teams can compete in europe they will not get any further fans , once the floating fan sees the irish teams beat foreign teams then this will raise the "value" of a league of ireland game.

now there is also the argument that these fellas might not be wanted by the LOI fans but their clubs certainly wouldnt turn their money away..

anyway we are miles off topic , is maclean definitely going to declare for us or will he stay with Nor Iron ?

GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Hes a threat no doubt . Good point about players moving from LOI doin well in England . Goes to show there is nothing wrong with the youth academies over here . GAA is what holds back the game unfortunately .

Eh what? Most ridiculous post I have read on this forum in a while, good jaysis Confused

I was just putting into context the fact that their is plenty of quality in LOI but low attendances ensure the game doesn't game doesnt prosper here . The only way it could change is if clubs in all parts of the country are embraced by the community which it's safe to say isn't the case at the moment. The popularity of the GAA in communities is a huge factor in this . Simples

No its not. THe biggest factor is that 95% of football fans would pefer to sit on their barstool in their favourite 'home' team jersey rather than go and support their local team.

Gloryhunters are a plenty in Ireland no doubt but i disagree dude, the GAA is the most attended game on our island. To say its popularity doesn't have an impact on the game of soccer is just being naive .

But Im not talking about gloryhunters Babbs. Of course GAA has an impact on football, just like rugby, tennis, of whatever. My point is that nearly all the people that play the sports Ive menioned probably support a football team too. However like I said 95% would pefer to sit on their barstool in their favourite 'home' team jersey rather than go and support their local team.

GAA (or any sport) isint what is 'holding back football in this country'. Lazy as Irish people who think the LOI is below them and prefer to support a 'good' foregin team is the problem. If everyone that called themselves football fans went to see their local team we would have a fantastic wee league in this country and the GAA would still be as big as it is.

ilovetrap View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan
McShane = Legend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilovetrap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 1:20pm
roger there is nothing surer than trap will pick them 2 plus green.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 9:45am

fahy and cox will travel, you would like to see lads like andy keogh and mcshane omiited instead.

keogh and mcshane are not going to make the plane lads* , jaysis why cant people see this ?

*barring injuries Cry
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 9:41am

Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Hes a threat no doubt . Good point about players moving from LOI doin well in England . Goes to show there is nothing wrong with the youth academies over here . GAA is what holds back the game unfortunately .

Eh what? Most ridiculous post I have read on this forum in a while, good jaysis Confused

I was just putting into context the fact that their is plenty of quality in LOI but low attendances ensure the game doesn't game doesnt prosper here . The only way it could change is if clubs in all parts of the country are embraced by the community which it's safe to say isn't the case at the moment. The popularity of the GAA in communities is a huge factor in this . Simples

No its not. THe biggest factor is that 95% of football fans would pefer to sit on their barstool in their favourite 'home' team jersey rather than go and support their local team.

Gloryhunters are a plenty in Ireland no doubt but i disagree dude, the GAA is the most attended game on our island. To say its popularity doesn't have an impact on the game of soccer is just being naive .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 8:29am
I get the joke merely pointing out how sh*t it was hence the taxi which he jumped into!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 435436437438439 460>
  Share Topic