Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst Away Trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Shebber Shebber wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Bratislava was worst for me in 2007, rained the whole time and we got caught by a late equaliser.

I have an awful track record for my attendance at away matches as far as results are concerned:

Attended 15
Lost 9
Drew 5
Won 1 (Tallinn 2011)

Love the trips but have only left the stadium satisfied once! Even the draws were bad results! I should probably be keeping away from Stockholm! I'm a bad omen!

fecks sakes sure we never win theseLOL a draw is the best we ever get LOL

Most of my draws we were leading so left disappointed....Amsterdam 2000, Basle 2006, Bratislava 2007...also was sick in Paris 2004 when O'Shea missed an opener! Wembley 1991 houghton missed a sitter to win it, so was pi$$ed off that time too! Angry
Hope you're not going to Sweden!
Sponsored Links

Shebber View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shebber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Bratislava was worst for me in 2007, rained the whole time and we got caught by a late equaliser.

I have an awful track record for my attendance at away matches as far as results are concerned:

Attended 15
Lost 9
Drew 5
Won 1 (Tallinn 2011)

Love the trips but have only left the stadium satisfied once! Even the draws were bad results! I should probably be keeping away from Stockholm! I'm a bad omen!

fecks sakes sure we never win theseLOL a draw is the best we ever get LOL

Most of my draws we were leading so left disappointed....Amsterdam 2000, Basle 2006, Bratislava 2007...also was sick in Paris 2004 when O'Shea missed an opener! Wembley 1991 houghton missed a sitter to win it, so was pi$$ed off that time too! Angry
Hope you're not going to Sweden!

I'm afraid I am!!
If you have 200 million priests, and 5% of them are paedophiles, that's still only 10 million paedophiles!
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by ShannonHibs10 ShannonHibs10 wrote:

Torun to Gdansk was the worst trip of my life. Everything about my 2 nights in Gdansk was horrible. The bus journey from Torun to Gdansk, hangover of the century, getting sick into a plastic bag all the way, couldn't eat I was so sick. Couldn't even drink a can .

All I wanted was a bed when we got to Gdansk but thanks to Babbsballs we were staying in that poxy Fanscamp. Tent was soaked, all my clothes inside were soaked, had to share a one man tent with Babbs. The Spanish game was sh*t, and to make matters worse, the security deposit office lost my passport in the fanscamp.

Getting back to the apartment in Torun was up there with the happiest times of my life.

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

File under not particulaly relevent to grabing a snack after walking back after the match - and about 14 if you are interested

So there was 14 oriental restaurants, yet you couldn't find/get any after the game? Confused

Quote we are talking 2 days before the game when a large contingent of Irish landed the bar was totlally unprepared

How is this relevent ? answer is of course its not at all relevent

The Irish Bars coped as well as could be expected with 3k of us invading the place. When I went  there, there were no queues, and no service issues.

It's all relevant. You brought up your experiences of the Sofia trip, I responded.

Quote What exactly does the availability of food in Poland have to do with this - you disliked Poland as a host if my memory serves me right. You were pretty much on your own in that department

Again, you're the one that brought the subject of Poland up, thinking everyone had a whale of a time, except me. I got into Gdansk the afternoon of the game, I got out of Poznan as soon as I could. Both of them were the kind of places imo, you get the first vehicle out of.

When it turns up obviously.

Queue up to get into a KFC in Poznan, each to their own.

When I got to KFC, the queue was out the door. When I left Poznan, the queue was still out the door. Like everything else that didn't come in a can or glass in Poland, there was a severe lack of facilities/resources to cope with a tournament the size of the European Championships.

After reading the last few pages, I notice I wasn't the only one to not enjoy the kip.

Edited by planning - 04 Mar 2013 at 3:23pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 3:24pm

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

I was in the Irish bar on the last day of the trip. Service was normal. But you have high standards when it comes to drinking abroad. No ice?? Shocked

How is this relevent ? we are talking 2 days before the game when a large contingent of Irish landed the bar was totlally unprepared - answer is of course its not at all relevent

I don't drink beer or pints as it is, so it makes no difference to me whether it's warm or cold, but if you want to drink outside in those temperatures, you know it won't stay cold for long. That applies everywhere hot in mid-summer.

I am not a fan of warm beer or more accurately froth and as for ice. Imagine the cheek of it asking for ice in 36C

I also arrived at 11pm after a 10 hr train trip from Bucharest. When everywhere else is shut, the sh!tty generic Maccers is more than good enough. Seriously, how many oriental restaurants are in Sofia?

File under not particulaly relevent to grabing a snack after walking back after the match - and about 14 if you are interested

Sh!tty or not, when it's either Maccers or starve, everyone will go for Maccers. The queues to get it after the games in Poland were outside the door. The queues to get KFC in Poznan went on for hours. There was nowhere else open except places where the choice was simple. Either Lech or Tyskie.

Possibly but I wasnt starving, it wasnt the end of the world so I went without. I dont do McD's

What exactly does the availability of food in Poland have to do with this - you disliked Poland as a host if my memory serves me right. You were pretty much on your own in that department

Queue up to get into a KFC in Poznan, each to their own but I would rather take a chance on a Polish/Bulagrian/Armenia joint.

You don't f*cking say!LOL This fella is the whiniest f*cking aul wan on here - quite an accolade when you consider the depth and quality of the competition.
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 3:24pm

So there was 14 oriental restaurants, yet you couldn't find/get any after the game? Confused

Quote we are talking 2 days before the game when a large contingent of Irish landed the bar was totlally unprepared

How is this relevent ? answer is of course its not at all relevent

The Irish Bars coped as well as could be expected with 3k of us invading the place. When I went  there, there were no queues, and no service issues.

It's all relevant. You brought up your experiences of the Sofia trip, I responded.

Quote What exactly does the availability of food in Poland have to do with this - you disliked Poland as a host if my memory serves me right. You were pretty much on your own in that department

Again, you're the one that brought the subject of Poland up, thinking everyone had a whale of a time, except me. I got into Gdansk the afternoon of the game, I got out of Poznan as soon as I could. Both of them were the kind of places imo, you get the first vehicle out of.

When it turns up obviously.

Queue up to get into a KFC in Poznan, each to their own.

When I got to KFC, the queue was out the door. When I left Poznan, the queue was still out the door. Like everything else that didn't come in a can or glass in Poland, there was a severe lack of facilities/resources to cope with a tournament the size of the European Championships.

After reading the last few pages, I notice I wasn't the only one to not enjoy the kip.

MOST BORING POST EVER IN THE HISTORY OF YBIG
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 3:37pm
Won 10,drawn 11 and only lost 8, not too shabby!

Most games v Italy with 3 and then Germany, Spain,France and Andorra with 2 each, everything else a one off....
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 3:53pm
I always thought I had a bad record at away games........just checked (including away friendlies)
and not as poor as I thought.

W - 13
D -  11
L -    8
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:02pm
W2 tallin, torshavn
D3 belgrade, budapest, moscow
L3 Euro's

W&L; paris

Fingers and toes crossed its not another L in two and a half weeks
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

I always thought I had a bad record at away games........just checked (including away friendlies)

W - 13
D -  11
L -    8

Clarification for the rules committee - Are we counting the London friendly games ??

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:30pm

So there was 14 oriental restaurants, yet you couldn't find/get any after the game? Confused - I had a 20min + walk back from the stadium, what part of 'I would of expected to pass by somewhere to grab a takeaway' isnt clear, it wasnt the end of the world

The Irish Bars coped as well as could be expected with 3k of us invading the place. When I went  there, there were no queues, and no service issues. - No they didnt , one had to close and one was totally swamped as they were unprepared for the numbers

Again, you're the one that brought the subject of Poland up, thinking everyone had a whale of a time, except me. I got into Gdansk the afternoon of the game, I got out of Poznan as soon as I could. Both of them were the kind of places imo, you get the first vehicle out of. When it turns up obviously. - the majority of those who didnt enjoy it was because of what happened on the football pitch nothing to do with it as a host,

When I got to KFC, the queue was out the door. When I left Poznan, the queue was still out the door. Like everything else that didn't come in a can or glass in Poland, there was a severe lack of facilities/resources to cope with a tournament the size of the European Championships.- peoples experiences and tales on this site afterwards beg to differ but sure they are all wrong and you are right

After reading the last few pages, I notice I wasn't the only one to not enjoy the kip. - see above

Edited by Newryrep - 04 Mar 2013 at 4:51pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

W - 13

D -  11

L -    8

Clarification for the rules committee - Are we counting the London friendly games ??

I've counted them anyway....

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 04 Mar 2013 at 4:38pm
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:40pm
Very hard to get a bad trip. On paper I could say Armenia after missing the flight home, having to stay for an extra 3 nights, paying an extra €400 to get home the following Tuesday, taking an extra two day's leave from work and missing the Andorra home game in the process. But after missing the flight we sat down and had the most silent half hour in history in some airport cafe, then we just got on with it. Bumped into these Waterford lads on the Sunday looking for a pub with the All-Ireland like us - couldn't find one and ended up getting a bag of cans with them and watching it on a PC downstairs in a hostel. Great craic and great trip overall.

Moscow could be a contender purely because I was sick the night before the match and couldn't drink, meaning I was on the water for the FAI's free bar Disapprove But the Saturday and Sunday were good craic and I was stone cold sober to witness Richard Dunne's heroic performance.
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Shebber View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shebber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

W - 13

D -  11

L -    8

I've counted them anyway....

If you left the state.....it counts!!!

Edited by Shebber - 04 Mar 2013 at 4:50pm
If you have 200 million priests, and 5% of them are paedophiles, that's still only 10 million paedophiles!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Very hard to get a bad trip. On paper I could say Armenia after missing the flight home, having to stay for an extra 3 nights, paying an extra €400 to get home the following Tuesday, taking an extra two day's leave from work and missing the Andorra home game in the process. But after missing the flight we sat down and had the most silent half hour in history in some airport cafe, then we just got on with it. Bumped into these Waterford lads on the Sunday looking for a pub with the All-Ireland like us - couldn't find one and ended up getting a bag of cans with them and watching it on a PC downstairs in a hostel. Great craic and great trip overall.

Moscow could be a contender purely because I was sick the night before the match and couldn't drink, meaning I was on the water for the FAI's free bar Disapprove But the Saturday and Sunday were good craic and I was stone cold sober to witness Richard Dunne's heroic performance.

Get on with it - you mean went to bed while me and the wife spent the next few hours trying to find a route out of that mess LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:06pm
Didn't like Bratislava but had a great night after the game and then back to Prague.

For worst away trip there is no comparison............Paris 09!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Get on with it - you mean went to bed while me and the wife spent the next few hours trying to find a route out of that mess LOL
I helped out in the search for flights with the assistance of Junior Thumbs Up
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Humpy Gussy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humpy Gussy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Didn't like Bratislava but had a great night after the game and then back to Prague.

For worst away trip there is no comparison............Paris 09!
LOL Jaysus, lots of unhappy campers after the Paris game! Result and that pr*ck Henry aside, I didn't realise there were so many bad reports. I had the flights booked and was ready to go but then realised the school that I was working in had scheduled parent/teacher meetings on that date and there was absolutely no way out of it. I was absolutely gutted at the time and was probably the most miserable bollo*ks those parents ever met at a PT meeting.
Doesn't seem so bad now.
'Joxer Goes to Poznan' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjtiJ9udkM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic