You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIrish Olympic Chances

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 9:03am
Yeah fighting the home town boy Who Flung Dung......he's up against it now.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Justice Shark Justice Shark wrote:

Final on Sunday at 6.51amConfused

Can anyone confirm this? Heard its 7.35am?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

billybunter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 6:57am
you may be early by 2 hours there mcg - I have it on an alert from nbc here statesideand its set for 3.51 Est here, which puts it 8.50am your time. (they've been spot on so far with their times)
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 7:01am
Yes it's defo on at 8.50am Irish time, so not too bad......GO ON THE KENNY! 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 7:02am
Ah thats a more humane time on a Sunday morning..
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 7:22am

Watching the 5k final here and just seen Alistair Cragg dropping out with 5 or so laps to go, couldnt hack it..

Anyway, got me thinking, We spent 100's of thousands sending all these athletes to the Olympics to drop out and to finish 60 something in the marathon. Really riles me. Why not spend this cash on developing the sport in schools and have a real go in London. Joke

AS YOU WERE McGx

gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 7:56am
Yeah they were sayin yesterday on rte that there is no point sending people who are not going to do anything. They were saying whats the point in sending people in the sprints and long distances they will be dominated by the same countries.we should be focusing on middle distance and field events in athletics and other events where race doesnt give you an advantage.
Percy View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 8:04am
desperate watching cragg there

When I was growing up there were hundreds of us in the local running club, but thats gone by the wayside now.  The community games used to be a major event in the area as well. The interest is gone out of athletics.

If theres no interest in the sport, nobodys gonna want to devote their time to it.
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 8:42am
 Interesting article in todays Indo

By Cliona Foley

Saturday August 23 2008

JUST 24 hours before Dubliner Kenny Egan goes up against a Chinese boxer for an Olympic gold medal, the Beijing boxing tournament was rocked to its core last night with the revelation that the organisers have had to take evasive action to stop bribery of match judges and referees.

After an afternoon of allegations and drama outside the ring at the Workers’ Gymnasium, the International Boxing Association (AIBA) were forced to admit that they are revising the daily draws for officials and referees, which are usually done randomly by a computer.

This is because “two months prior to the competition AIBA obtained information regarding a possible attempt on the part of certain individuals, both within the organisation and within the competition officials, to manipulate the competition.”

This extraordinary revelation, coming hot on the heels of some questionable decisions again yesterday, heightened allegations of dodgy judging and matchfixing within amateur boxing. And several top experts, including NBC’s Jim Gray, specifically raised the case of Paddy Barnes, questioning the legitimacy of the scoring which failed to give the young Belfast fighter a single point against his Chinese opponent. “It was apparent to some of us that this was predetermined,” Gray alleged.

“I would totally agree that it’s a bit disheartening for a boxer to leave the ring after four rounds of what appeared to be a very busy contest with a zero,”said the tournament’s technical director Terry Smith. “It’s not our wish to do so, but unfortunately it’s one of the drawbacks of the system we have in place.” To score a point, three of the five judges must agree simultaneously and Smith said that while some of the judges gave Barnes 7-8 points, others gave him 4-5, but they did not come together and materialise as actual scores.

“I’ll be the first to admit that not every point scored in boxing is recorded,” Smith said. “But we just know that most of the time the right boxer wins.” Regarding the attempted bribing of officials, Smith said that the revision of match officials was based on no concrete evidence but was a precaution because of a lot of rumour and innuendo. However, AIBA also would not clarify what they meant when they said that, “after the situation became more serious,” they notified the International Olympic Committee (IOC), who now also have an independent observer monitoring the daily draws for match officials.

The scandal broke last night because earlier in the day another of the tournament’s ‘technical delegates,’ Romanian Rudel Obreja, himself one of the vicepresidents of AIBA, independently called a press conference and alleged that Olympic match officials were deliberately being changed. He also said that he had been asked by a top official what referee he would like for a bout involving a Romanian fighter.

AIBA have now suspended Obreja – “for holding an unofficial press conference” – and have started an investigation into his allegations. But Terry Smith insisted last night that they are confident that none of the 250 Olympic bouts to date have been rigged. American Dr Tom Virgets, who heads up the AIBA disciplinary commission who is now investigating these allegations, was asked what he could do to allay the fears of boxers like Egan that their Olympic finals might not be fairly refereed and judged.

“I would say that, for 20 years, this is an organisation that has been under a cloud of suspicion. But I would say we have seen, under the new reforms, that this suspicion has been significantly reduced and that the individuals who are part of this, the technical delegates, have made all the precautions that they can take to ensure that there is equity in terms of the scoring.”

- Cliona Foley

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
GreenTribe View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Please Count, can I be a Mod?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 10:45am
did anyone hear that wee gay 5 year old British diver being interviewed after coming 7th on the 10m.

"I was just SO glad a non-Chinese person won" blah blah
"I'm so glad the Chinese didn't get the gold"
He'll cause riots over there!LOL
Will be up early tomorrow for Egan's fight, COME ON!
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2008 at 4:48am
egan got the silver this morning, didnt see it but read the article and there seems to be suspect judging again!

BTW anyone think Egan is the spit of your man from 'no country for old men'

GreenTribe View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Please Count, can I be a Mod?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2008 at 5:28am
jaysus he is a bit like javierLOL
dodgy judges again feckers!Angry
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2008 at 5:54am
Watched the fight, he didn't have a good first round and trailed 0-2 but he really had a go in the last 3 and defo shoulda had more points than he got.  Carruth and Dunne in the studio were going mental with the judges.  I don't understand enough meself to say whether the judging was biased, but Kenny gave his all and just came up short.  Well done son and he was very magnanimous in defeat, very impressed with this lad I am.......Clap
gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2008 at 8:10am
i watched the second half of the fight on the bbc because jimmy magee was doin my tits in and they were going mental as well probably even more so. look at the judges and ref, Cuba (communists) Thailand (neighbours) Kazakhstan (neighbours) Hungary (communists) italy (Italian refs?) and the feckin ref was a communist from fecking russia. Lets hope another earthquake destroys there sh1tpot country a few typhoons wouldnt go astray either. im boycotting chinese food until they apolgize to Ireland! AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

Edited by gouldinho - 24 Aug 2008 at 8:11am
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2008 at 8:12am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic