You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Darren Randolph

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 67>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 3:19pm
I watched a lot of highlights recently and Randolph has been amazing for us. He has made some sensational saves.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 3:50pm
 I think he is a bit of a victim of being too solid. When goalkeepers aren't spectacular you often  forget about them and he is exactly that.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

I watched a lot of highlights recently and Randolph has been amazing for us. He has made some sensational saves.

Yeah he is probably our second best keeper of all time after Given in my view for his performances for Ireland and consistency for his country. 

Edited by Baldrick - 01 Oct 2020 at 3:53pm
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Yeah he is probably our second best keeper of all time after Given in my view for his performances for Ireland and consistency for his country. 

Wouldnt argue with that.

Just a shame that the lot playing on front of him have been pony. 

You'd wonder where he would be now if MON replaced Shay with DF instead of Darren.

I wasnt filled with confidence when i saw that it was him replacing Shay tbh. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 4:42pm
He's not perfect, and I do think there were some shaky performances under MON without him ever being outright terrible, but he's largely been good and deserves to continue as No. 1 for the foreseeable.
We're decent enough..
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 7:42pm
He is very similar to given, great shot stopper. His kicking is a bit suspect when he is under pressure. But he has certainly improved with age, as many keepers do. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 7:45pm
Great temperament. Always “on” even if he’s been on the bench for West Ham. It will take somebody special to take his spot.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:33pm
Randolph has been probably the only bright spot in a terrible few years for ireland.

Still our best option in goal for me but it's clear hes not going to play much first team club football going forward.

He very nearly gave a penalty to Wales last week which may have been given had VAR been in place and he was culpable for the goal today.

I feel the fact he's going to spend most of his time on the bench may result in his performances not reaching his usual high standard.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:40pm
He's been an excellent servant for us "but" having zero competition for the number 1 jersey will mean that complacency has/potentially will set in because he knows he's safe from being dropped.

Competition is everything in a squad, I made the point many years ago that the likes of Trap and O'Neill refusal to freshen the squad up when certain players were in form weren't being picked and players who weren't playing regularly for their clubs, were constantly numbers 18,19,20,21+ in the Irish squad were merely just token picks out of handiest and it ultimately backfired.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:53pm
Not playing regular club football is more of a worry than having no competition for me

Thought he was shaky in the recent games. The penalties, the mistake against Wales, and then tonight 
A bit rusty on it, lack of game time showing 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

He's been an excellent servant for us "but" having zero competition for the number 1 jersey will mean that complacency has/potentially will set in because he knows he's safe from being dropped.

Competition is everything in a squad, I made the point many years ago that the likes of Trap and O'Neill refusal to freshen the squad up when certain players were in form weren't being picked and players who weren't playing regularly for their clubs, were constantly numbers 18,19,20,21+ in the Irish squad were merely just token picks out of handiest and it ultimately backfired.

How's he meant to have competition if him or neither are getting games for their clubs! It's a worrying stat alright!

Travers is backup at Bournemouth
Kelleher is nowhere near 1st team at Liverpool..

The closest you'll find to seeing an Irish goalkeeper playing regularly for their club is Danny Rogers at Kilmarnock 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 8:37am

Plenty of competition under O'Neill, didn't he name 6 keepers in his provisional squads.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 8:39am
And no footballers.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 10:34am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Plenty of competition under O'Neill, didn't he name 6 keepers in his provisional squads.

Perhaps but the actual make up of the squads i.e. who made the match day squads/brought to games etc remained fairly consistent.

In truth O'Neill was naming lads for the sake of it in those provisional squads, many never had a sniff of ever getting picked to play.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 7:49pm
A very good keeper for someone who doesn't play regularly. And with a lack of competition around he will be the first name on the team sheet for a good while yet, and rightly so. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 8:25pm
Indeed. One of our best and most reliable players. If anyone can be forgiven a mistake it's him. Very arguably our most important player, given that he's the only player in the squad who's basically irreplaceable.

Our next in line for his position is Mark Travers. A very talented and promising young lad - but, let's be honest, miles away from Randolph's standard.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

given that he's the only player in the squad who's basically irreplaceable.

Why is he irreplaceable? He's not even playing club football! 
I've never heard someone say "You're so good, you're not even getting picked"

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

given that he's the only player in the squad who's basically irreplaceable.

Why is he irreplaceable? He's not even playing club football! 
I've never heard someone say "You're so good, you're not even getting picked"

Because we support Ireland and not west ham and he performs for ireland and we should pick players who perform. There are very few Irish players performing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 67>
  Share Topic