You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anthony Stokes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 135>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 10:30am

that link seems to be down, they only have Ki's goal (Stokes with the assist)

Stokes' goal is on 101greatgoals.com here: http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/anthony-stokes-hibernian-13745775/

Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 12:42pm
decent goal, horrible jersey
Trapcandoit View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapcandoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 1:49pm
Fine goal. Still a lot of potential here. Being left out of the senior team could have been the kick up the b*****de the chap needed.
5 goals to go Robbie!
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 12:47am
Originally posted by MacMathuna MacMathuna wrote:

here tis....  http://eurorivals.net/hibernian:celtic-highlights-goals-video_20110724.html 

no murphy, o'dea or towell on bench for celtic.

Two quality goals Darren O'Dea is currently injured.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 1:35am
Stokes goal yesterday was absolutely top notch, if he can keep his head down this season and get scoring regularly we could be onto something good, a lot of IF's there but here's hoping.

Best of luck Stokes.

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 2:21am
He's finished for Ireland for the forseeable and rightly so, I will absolutely support him in a Celtic shirt and he took his goal well yesterday, but being "tired" last May was nothing short of nonsense and he shouldn't get another call up for a while for Ireland.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 2:34am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

He's finished for Ireland for the forseeable and rightly so, I will absolutely support him in a Celtic shirt and he took his goal well yesterday, but being "tired" last May was nothing short of nonsense and he shouldn't get another call up for a while for Ireland.

FW - Stokes came out and said that he didnt say that he was too tired. I think we all jumped on the bandwagon slating him before getting his side of the story.
I still believe he is 5th choice striker anyway.

After that came another blaze of negative publicity, when Marco Tardelli revealed that Stokes had pulled out of the end-of-season internationals because he was "too tired", a story that the player vehemently disputed in a Sunday newspaper interview last weekend.

Tardelli had previously voiced the sentiment that Stokes didn't work hard enough. They spoke of his unavailability as though it confirmed their belief.

While the other no-shows were included in the squad for next month's friendly with Croatia, Stokes missed the cut. Sympathy from the public was in short supply.

Friends of the player have indicated there was more to his decision to skip the Irish gathering than tiredness.

In breaking his silence, Stokes backed up that story by saying there were "one or two other things" going on, with the fall-out from his family's well-documented troubles believed to be a factor.

"I never got the chance to speak to Trapattoni," he said. "It went through the club, which was standard contact. They spoke to the FAI and discussed the situation. I've no idea where the 'too tired' phrase came from. It certainly wasn't me."

It wasn't the first time that Stokes had communication difficulties with the Irish set-up; he was publicly lambasted by Don Givens for failing to show for an U-21 game, but Keane actually shouldered the blame for that, admitting that it was Sunderland's responsibility to inform the FAI.

Sometimes, because of his reputation, Stokes has been sinned against. Sean McCaffrey, his former U-19 manager, has gone on record to say he never had any issues handling the Terenure lad.

"If you remember, after I made my senior debut, I went back and played with the U-19s a few days later. It's never mattered what age group, I love playing for Ireland," insisted Stokes last weekend.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 3:03am

why didnt he stamp out the too tired thing immediately ?? two months later ??

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 3:21am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

why didnt he stamp out the too tired thing immediately ?? two months later ??

Dont know, but it appears most footballers these couldnt be arsed picking up the phone these days.
McCarthy, Gibson, Walters and Wilson all let the club inform the FAI. I really dont know why a players cant pick up hte phone and explain in person the reason why them cant make the squad.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 3:35am
Did Keith Treacey not use the 'tired' line a few months before

hasnt stopped him getting picked again
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 6:54am
All bad feeling about the tired thing aside, he is a good striker, but I would still have him behind Keane, Doyle, Long and Cox
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 7:51am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Did Keith Treacey not use the 'tired' line a few months before

hasnt stopped him getting picked again

The thing going against Stokes is that Trap has never really fancied him. Hes been overlooked for the likes of Folan, Best, Sheridan and N Hunt in the past and more recently Cox; whether rightly or wrongly.

There was rumours around last autumn that Trap wasnt impressed by his workrate iirc.
traphasntaclue2 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traphasntaclue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 9:12am
what is wrong with players that they havnt the manners to phone team management themselves?
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 9:58am
Fair enough Horsebox, I didn't realise he defended himself over the tiredness thing but as Milla says, why did it take him 2 months to come back on it (and I understand he had issues with his Da acting the maggot etc etc)?

And as you rightly say (and I've said loadsa times), why didn't he just hit CALL button on his phone and poxy SPEAK to someone?  All this texting and going through 3rd parties etc, loada bolloxology, they're only short of not wiping their own holes at this stage.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 1:58am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

FW - Stokes came out and said that he didnt say that he was too tired. I think we all jumped on the bandwagon slating him before getting his side of the story.

He is a better player than Cox and IF he keeps his head down scores a lot of goals  and IF others around him are not scoring then Stokes has to be picked simple as that, yeah a lot of if's in there but he has potential and knows where the back of the net is too, just hope Lennon can get him to knuckle down, huge season for the lad.

Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He is a better player than Cox and IF he keeps his head down scores a lot of goals  and IF others around him are not scoring then Stokes has to be picked simple as that, yeah a lot of if's in there but he has potential and knows where the back of the net is too, just hope Lennon can get him to knuckle down, huge season for the lad.

Really?

The lad is a chancer, and that's not just my opinion, I've heard plenty of stories about him. Loads of talent, loads of bullsh*t to go with it. Big season for him indeed. He might finally get his finger out and surprise us all.

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 3:07am
Yeah in my opinion stokes is better than Cox, we already have Doyle who doesn't score enough goals, Long has yet to prove himself in the prem as has Stokes but he is a better goal scorer than Cox that's for sure and we need a long term replacement for Keane.

Sloop John G View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloop John G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 3:43am
Simon Cox had one good season in the Champonship. That is his claim to fame. Before that, he was pulling up trees in League 1. The lad scored 1 goal in approximately 20 appearances at West Brom. Sure, he made a good start for Ireland but so did Dominic Foley. Should we call him up too? His goalscoring record might as well read 1 in 4 because a goal against Northern Ireland shouldn't even count.

Edited by Sloop John G - 26 Jul 2011 at 3:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 135>
  Share Topic