Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anthony Stokes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 135>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 8:59am
I'd say it's absolutely nothing to do with that and more to do with him not being anywhere near fit enough having not played football for 18 months and he's on the wrong side of 32.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I'd say it's absolutely nothing to do with that and more to do with him not being anywhere near fit enough having not played football for 18 months and he's on the wrong side of 32.

Doubt it, didn't stop them signing an injury prone Joey O'Brien who was a same age and also hadn't played in 18 months ..and its not as if Stokes hasn't been looking after himself in the mean time, he physically looks in great shape so wouldn't take all that much to get him up to speed.
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 4:59pm
Let Christy Take It.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 12:32pm
No club is going to want to go near Stokes if he has a warrant out for his arrest, he sounds like a total headcase anyway. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 9:49pm
If he doesn't want to pay his assault victim that's one thing, but it reflects very badly on him that he won't even pay a small charitable donation in lieu of the fine.

Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

If he doesn't want to pay his assault victim that's one thing, but it reflects very badly on him that he won't even pay a small charitable donation in lieu of the fine.

Not surprised. Not a likeable fella at all. What a waste of talent 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 2:16pm
Theres a reason hes washed up at 33. Even Rovers and Pats wouldnt take a punt on him last season and for good reason. Such as wasted talent.

Edited by Bandwagon - 08 Feb 2022 at 2:17pm
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 2:17pm
What a Knack 
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

What a Knack 
Don't be cruel
It's not me it's you:-)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 11:06pm
Stokes is front page news in Scotland tomorrow as he has been deported back there to face sentencing next week after he did a runner back to Ireland the last time he was due to appear in court. Could be looking at a stint in jail.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 11:08pm
I’ll start….
He’ll be all shook up if that happens. Could be doing the Jailhouse rock 
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 1:42am
so much talent, crazy to think hes only turning 34 in about a week. seems like he has been washed up for some time now, have to imagine hes hurting financially as well
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 8:46am
Had some amount of talent and he wasted it . Could have been an excellent player for us but just didn’t seem to care or look after himself and had too much interest in drinking . I remember meeting him out in town the time the home nations tournament was on in Dublín . He had made himself unavailable for the squad due to being tired or something . Was out skulling drink that night anyways . Tells you all you need to know about him 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:04am
The Sun calling him the 'The former Ireland hero' LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Had some amount of talent and he wasted it . Could have been an excellent player for us but just didn’t seem to care or look after himself and had too much interest in drinking . I remember meeting him out in town the time the home nations tournament was on in Dublín . He had made himself unavailable for the squad due to being tired or something . Was out skulling drink that night anyways . Tells you all you need to know about him 

Think we're in denial or PTSD about just how bad the drinking culture is generally. When you have Trapattoni banishing Andy Reid for playing the guitar and our senior players bragging about their ingenuity in smuggling liquor in teapots in the same anecdote.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 10:32am
If he had his head screwed on he could have played in two finals tournaments for us and led the line up front from when Robbie Keane retired up until around now when the younger lads would have been taking over from him - he had the talent to do it but pissed it away instead.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:15am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

If he had his head screwed on he could have played in two finals tournaments for us and led the line up front from when Robbie Keane retired up until around now when the younger lads would have been taking over from him - he had the talent to do it but pissed it away instead.

I thought he was good against Germany and Kazakhstan under Noel King as interim manager. He looked more than able for international football based on those two games.

I agree the fella is a lunatic but I'm not sure we had the right managers to get a tune out of a personality like that with Trapattoni and O'Neill's stubbornness and abrasiveness. 

You look at someone like Kyle Lafferty with NI. He wasn't as talented as Stokes and had his own issues but he was a very useful option for NI for a long time.

If we had someone to meet Stokes halfway, you can't tell me he wouldn't have been more use up front than lads like Andy Keogh or Simon Cox.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 12:25pm
In terms of ability absolutely, but Stokes was a nightmare to manage. He reportedly caused all sorts of trouble at Hibs but they still signed him a few times because he was so good at that level. Eventually though they even had to give up on him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 135>
  Share Topic