Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anthony Stokes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 135>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Ginger and proud

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shoveonyournicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 5:48am
Originally posted by jackshat jackshat wrote:

I hope Trap is finished with him.  

Anyone from  a family of thugs like himself should never be allowed to wear the greenAngry

Ya can't pick your family!!! He doesn't deserve to get another call up for Ireland because of the lack of desire and respect he has shown for the honor of representing his country. But ya can't decide players can't play for their country cause their parents or family are d*ckheads
Sponsored Links

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 5:54am
Originally posted by shoveonyournicks shoveonyournicks wrote:

Anyone from  a family of thugs like himself should never be allowed to wear the greenAngry

Ya can't pick your family!!! He doesn't deserve to get another call up for Ireland because of the lack of desire and respect he has shown for the honor of representing his country. But ya can't decide players can't play for their country cause their parents or family are d*ckheads

He's not good enough anyway...so why are we even entertaining the thought.

shoveonyournicks View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Ginger and proud

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shoveonyournicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 6:05am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

He's an alright player and probably could be better except his attitude is up his hole.. All I'm saying is he doesn't deserve to be playing for Ireland based on his own merits(or lack of). Not because his 'da' is a wanna be gangster!
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 6:10am

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

He's an alright player and probably could be better except his attitude is up his hole.. All I'm saying is he doesn't deserve to be playing for Ireland based on his own merits(or lack of). Not because his 'da' is a wanna be gangster!

+1

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:42am
will agree with that shoveonyournicks , if his da was pol pot i wouldnt care as long as he turned up and played his heart out for us
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:46am
took his goal well last night, played decent enough for the 90mins. linked up well with hooper up front
put em under pressure!
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:53am
His tiredness joke of an excuse was the last straw for me, can join Stephen Fookwit in the naughty chair forever.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
dean12 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dean12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 8:06am
Destined for a Stephen Ireland role I think.
Tweetering View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweetering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:28pm
I think Stokes is a decent player. Definitely good enough for our squad. But no way ahead of Robbie, Shane, Kevin.

What we are doing is looking in from the outside, so we can't know for sure what is in Anthony's heart with regards to wearing the green jersey. So I think we should never judge too harshly, but at the same time all indications would seem to suggest that he is not 100% committed. I wouldn't go sl*gging him off though like some on this forum, as I think it's un-necessary.

And yes, you can't choose your parents.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Tweetering Tweetering wrote:

I think Stokes is a decent player. Definitely good enough for our squad. But no way ahead of Robbie, Shane, Kevin.

What we are doing is looking in from the outside, so we can't know for sure what is in Anthony's heart with regards to wearing the green jersey. So I think we should never judge too harshly, but at the same time all indications would seem to suggest that he is not 100% committed. I wouldn't go sl*gging him off though like some on this forum, as I think it's un-necessary.

And yes, you can't choose your parents.

Add Walters and Cox to that list.

Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:41pm
it's a pity because he is a good footballer. but hasn't got the level head on him unfortunately. won't be playing for ireland while trap is managing us that is for damn sure.
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
Sloop John G View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloop John G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 2:11pm
Simon Cox scored 1 League goal last season. He done well to score 2 in 4 for Ireland so far but one of those goals was against the equivalent of League 1 opposition. Cox and Walters still have a lot to prove. Doyle, Keane and Long have nothing to prove.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloop John G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 5:46am

Clock ticking for Stokes

Celtic striker must show improvement if he is to fulfil his world-beater potential

Saturday July 23 2011

BACK in December 2007, then Sunderland manager Roy Keane responded to reports of Anthony Stokes' frequent visits to a prominent nightclub with a prediction.

"He could be a top player," said Keane, "or he could be playing non-league in five years."

With just under 18 months until that deadline, it's safe to say that Stokes will avoid the worst-case scenario. But the Celtic striker is nowhere near the other end of that equation either.

In his days as a prodigious teenager with Shelbourne, when every club from across the water was falling at his feet, the confident south Dublin lad was tipped for greatness. Even people with no more than a passing interest in the schoolboy scene knew the name.

Yet his rise to the senior ranks has taken place with an asterisk attached. Stokes is a social animal who enjoys the good life, a character in an era where there are few. The problem is that one person's character is another's messer.

"Look, he's a wee bit of a rascal," said his current boss, Neil Lennon, in February. "But we've all been there, and I wouldn't take that away from his personality. I quite like that... as long as he keeps working as hard as he's doing."

By May, Lennon was less impressed. After spending the majority of the title run-in on the substitutes' bench, Stokes was reported to be on a final warning after another breach of discipline.

That came in a period where his father, John, hit the headlines twice. Firstly, for producing a banner saying the Queen wasn't welcome to the Stokes' Players Lounge bar in Fairview, a gesture which was always going to have an unfortunate knock-on effect for a Celtic player.

Then, in April, both his parents and an uncle were arrested by Gardai in connection with ammunition that was uncovered in the family pub. All were released from custody without charge.

After that came another blaze of negative publicity, when Marco Tardelli revealed that Stokes had pulled out of the end-of-season internationals because he was "too tired", a story that the player vehemently disputed in a Sunday newspaper interview last weekend.

Tardelli had previously voiced the sentiment that Stokes didn't work hard enough. They spoke of his unavailability as though it confirmed their belief.

While the other no-shows were included in the squad for next month's friendly with Croatia, Stokes missed the cut. Sympathy from the public was in short supply.

Many Celtic fans are unconvinced by the enigmatic performer, who had the potential to be a cult hero after his move from Hibernian last summer. Considering his prolific feats with both Falkirk and Hibs -- in contrast with his erratic performances in England -- the Old Firm platform offered Stokes the opportunity to become a dominant player in Scotland.

Sure, he had previous with Celtic; after his loan stint with Falkirk in 2006 made him hot property, and Arsene Wenger decided that he ultimately wasn't good enough for Arsenal, an auction ensued. The Hoops were in pole position until Sunderland intervened. The Black Cats offered a bigger wage, and Stokes took it.

Still, that would have been forgiven if the new signing had shone in his first year at Parkhead. A haul of 14 goals seems respectable, yet the reality is that he was ineffective or just not selected for the Old Firm games.

Instead, 23-year-old Gary Hooper, a capture from S****horpe, raced to the top of the supporters' affections. The feeling is that the Essex lad can be trusted to deliver on the big occasion. With Stokes, the perpetual question mark lingers.

He has given plenty of interviews in his short career, either insisting that he has learned from his mistakes or claiming that he is simply misunderstood. When Keane publicly criticised Stokes' mentality at Sunderland, the player stressed that the incident was a "wake-up call". Almost four years on, it appears that the alarm is still malfunctioning.

Friends of the player have indicated there was more to his decision to skip the Irish gathering than tiredness.

In breaking his silence, Stokes backed up that story by saying there were "one or two other things" going on, with the fall-out from his family's well-documented troubles believed to be a factor.

"I never got the chance to speak to Trapattoni," he said. "It went through the club, which was standard contact. They spoke to the FAI and discussed the situation. I've no idea where the 'too tired' phrase came from. It certainly wasn't me."

It wasn't the first time that Stokes had communication difficulties with the Irish set-up; he was publicly lambasted by Don Givens for failing to show for an U-21 game, but Keane actually shouldered the blame for that, admitting that it was Sunderland's responsibility to inform the FAI.

Sometimes, because of his reputation, Stokes has been sinned against. Sean McCaffrey, his former U-19 manager, has gone on record to say he never had any issues handling the Terenure lad.

"If you remember, after I made my senior debut, I went back and played with the U-19s a few days later. It's never mattered what age group, I love playing for Ireland," insisted Stokes last weekend.

Despite all the trials and tribulations, Stokes is a young man. He celebrates his 23rd birthday on Monday. He has approached a crossroads, however. Improvement in his second season with Celtic is a necessity. If Lennon makes the same decision as Wenger and Steve Bruce and deems the attacker surplus to requirements, then the perception that he lacks the temperament to cut it at a top club will be accepted as fact.

It would be a desperate shame if a player with such ability veered down that path. Ireland's striking options actually look quite healthy at the moment, but when you examine possible successors to Robbie Keane, Stokes offers a subtler alternative to the sheer athleticism and power of Shane Long, or even Leon Best.

But he will write his own history. Pundits have consistently stated that, if he keeps the head screwed on, a glittering career with both club and country is within his capabilities.

The patience is running out. Over to you, Anthony.

Irish Independent

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Sloop John G Sloop John G wrote:

After that came another blaze of negative publicity, when Marco Tardelli revealed that Stokes had pulled out of the end-of-season internationals because he was "too tired", a story that the player vehemently disputed in a Sunday newspaper interview last weekend.

Tardelli had previously voiced the sentiment that Stokes didn't work hard enough. They spoke of his unavailability as though it confirmed their belief.

While the other no-shows were included in the squad for next month's friendly with Croatia, Stokes missed the cut. Sympathy from the public was in short supply.

Friends of the player have indicated there was more to his decision to skip the Irish gathering than tiredness.

In breaking his silence, Stokes backed up that story by saying there were "one or two other things" going on, with the fall-out from his family's well-documented troubles believed to be a factor.

"I never got the chance to speak to Trapattoni," he said. "It went through the club, which was standard contact. They spoke to the FAI and discussed the situation. I've no idea where the 'too tired' phrase came from. It certainly wasn't me."

It wasn't the first time that Stokes had communication difficulties with the Irish set-up; he was publicly lambasted by Don Givens for failing to show for an U-21 game, but Keane actually shouldered the blame for that, admitting that it was Sunderland's responsibility to inform the FAI.

Sometimes, because of his reputation, Stokes has been sinned against. Sean McCaffrey, his former U-19 manager, has gone on record to say he never had any issues handling the Terenure lad.

"If you remember, after I made my senior debut, I went back and played with the U-19s a few days later. It's never mattered what age group, I love playing for Ireland," insisted Stokes last weekend.

Did anyone read that interview last sunday or know what paper it was in?

Turning out for the underage teams is one thing I will give him. Sure it was only 11 months ago he was playing for the 21s in Tallaght and next night was in the squad for the seniors. And as he makes the point there that he made his debut and then turned out for the 19s.

And I still do think he is the most naturally talented young goal scorer we have. His head and his social life is going to prevent him from realising his potential; he can often make rash decisions still in front of goal, a lot more often than most strikers.

Unlike Wilson, Folan and McCarthy this was the 1st time he cried off and always seemed to turn up underage and even turned out for the B team as far as I remember in 07/08. So Id give him the benefit of the doubt on the desire side of things. But until he starts setting the world alight with goals and performances, he doesnt deserve to be in the squad and I wouldnt expect him to be in it again under Trap. Sure Trap never fancied him imo.

Edited by Kerrzy - 23 Jul 2011 at 8:36am
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 8:44am

Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Turning out for the underage teams is one thing I will give him. Sure it was only 11 months ago he was playing for the 21s in Tallaght and next night was in the squad for the seniors. And as he makes the point there that he made his debut and then turned out for the 19s.

And I still do think he is the most naturally talented young goal scorer we have. His head and his social life is going to prevent him from realising his potential; he can often make rash decisions still in front of goal, a lot more often than most strikers.

Unlike Wilson, Folan and McCarthy this was the 1st time he cried off and always seemed to turn up underage and even turned out for the B team as far as I remember in 07/08. So Id give him the benefit of the doubt on the desire side of things. But until he starts setting the world alight with goals and performances, he doesnt deserve to be in the squad and I wouldnt expect him to be in it again under Trap. Sure Trap never fancied him imo.
Wasn't that Sheridan that played for the seniors the night after the U21 game?
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 8:49am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Wasn't that Sheridan that played for the seniors the night after the U21 game?

Both Stokes and Sheridan were drafted in. Sheridan started, cant remember whether Stokes got any game time.

EDIT: Was an unused sub

Rep of Ireland:
Rep of Ireland: Given, McShane, Dunne, O'Shea, Kilbane (Cunningham 57), Fahey (Treacy 77), Andrews (Gibson 67), Green, Duff, Keane, Sheridan (Keogh 56). Subs Not Used: Westwood, Foley, Kelly, O'Dea, Stokes, Murphy.

Edited by Kerrzy - 23 Jul 2011 at 8:50am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloop John G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 6:48am
Stokes has scored a beaut' for Celtic.
MacMathuna View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacMathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 9:38am
here tis....  http://eurorivals.net/hibernian:celtic-highlights-goals-video_20110724.html 

no murphy, o'dea or towell on bench for celtic.
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 135>
  Share Topic