Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Derry City

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 41>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 7:08pm
So explain the 'hateful' line?
Sponsored Links

Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 7:22pm
That's his opinion which he's entitled to, I dint know Roddy personally so I can't disagree with him. Roddy's just released him so obviously there is going to be bad feeling, I don't think Kevin was ever in roddys plans given his other signings in the same position

I do know Kevin a long time and he is a top man, gutted for him

Edited by Stillhuntinghenry - 20 Mar 2014 at 7:25pm
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock
skinnymalinx View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinnymalinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 8:15pm
there's one thing being a bit bitter about being released from a contract but feeling strong enough to call your ex manager "the most hateful man i've come across"- well that's something else entirely.

strap in henry- you've got a a relegation -flirting season coming upLOL
Richmond Ultra View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richmond Ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 8:31pm
is doherty actually injured?
Omnia Causa Fiunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Richmond Ultra Richmond Ultra wrote:

No - how did you hear about that btw ?

Edited by Stillhuntinghenry - 20 Mar 2014 at 8:50pm
gazelle. View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazelle. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

It's on various forums and social media at this stage that Roddy told him to find a new club.
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by skinnymalinx skinnymalinx wrote:

there's one thing being a bit bitter about being released from a contract but feeling strong enough to call your ex manager "the most hateful man i've come across"- well that's something else entirely.

strap in henry- you've got a a relegation -flirting season coming upLOL

Exactly, it appears there are problems behind the scenes already, shockingly enough LOL

Originally posted by gazelle. gazelle. wrote:

It's on various forums and social media at this stage that Roddy told him to find a new club.

Poor SHH is on cloud cuckoo land, he is so entrenched in his position as well now that he won't listen to anyone else
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 10:58pm
Shamelessly stolen from another forum

The Five Stages of Roddy

1: Support
2: Denial
3: Confusion
4: Outrage
5: Relegation
Richmond Ultra View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richmond Ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 10:59pm
Who will Doherty be playing against on Sunday with the Ulster Senior league side if rumours are true?
Omnia Causa Fiunt
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Shamelessly stolen from another forum

The Five Stages of Roddy

1: Support
2: Denial
3: Confusion
4: Outrage
5: Relegation

Clap
LOLLOLLOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 12:11am
Originally posted by gazelle. gazelle. wrote:

Yes there is an element of truth, he has been dropped from 1st team, huge row with roddy. Not sure about the new club part
MariborKev View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MariborKev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 12:59am
A player who was out of contract and could have gone elsewhere but decides to prove his fitness gets released.

Player feels personally let down, has swipe at manager on social media.

Just another day in the LOI soap opera lads.  
Sonny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 4:43am
This is simultaneously hilarious and depressing. How this **** managed to spoof his way into another decent job in this league is absolutely baffling.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 8:25am
Roddy 👏
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 10:18am
[QUOTE=MariborKev] A player who was out of contract and could have gone elsewhere but decides to prove his fitness gets released.

Player feels personally let down, has swipe at manager on social media.

Just another day in the LOI soap opera lads.  
[/QUOTE

Yeah whole thing blown out of proportion
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 12:38pm

Go

News
Sport
What's On
Contact Us
Directory
Jobs
Deals
You are in Sport Football Derry City Latest
‘I mean’t no offence’ claims Deery after Facebook row
Published: 24 March 2014

Former Derry City captain Kevin Deery.
By by Staff Reporter
KEVIN Deery may have played his last game for Derry City, but the 29-years-old has no intention of hanging up his boots just yet.

Criticised for posting what was a controversial statement on his Facebook account last Thursday night, in which he lashed out at Brandywell boss, Roddy Collins, Deery said his posting had been done “in the heat of the moment.”

On Thursday night he posted: “That’s me officially released with the club I have spent my whole career with.

“I’ve had some amazing times with Derry City but all good things have to come to an end.

“Unfortunately for myself, it has come to an end partly through injuries and through a manager who’s without doubt one of the most hateful men I have come across in football.

“Thanks to all my fellow players I have played with throughout my time at the club. Good luck.”

However, commenting on Friday, prior to Derry’s game at United Park against Drogheda United, the player said he was gutted to have been released.

“I was gutted,” said Deery, but I felt that news could have been relayed to me much earlier than at this stage of the campaign when most clubs have their panels sorted and budgets spent,” claimed the Creggan man.

The Creggan man went under the surgeon’s knife last October as the season drew to a close. Players moved on and, of course, the club experienced a change at managerial level with Deery’s contract having expired.

“I began to do my rehab under physio, Michael Hegarty, who was brilliant with me and I’ve now reached the stage where I was ready to join in training, however, I had a tight calf last week and opted to take no chances given that I did not have a contract.

“I was then asked on Thursday to go to the Brandywell as the manager wanted to have a word with me and it was then that he informed me that I had no future at the club.”

NO OFFENCE INTENDED

When questioned again on his Facebook comments, Deery insisted that he did not wish to offend the Derry boss.

“I honestly didn’t mean to offend him. I was asked to come down to meet him and I didn’t know what it was about. He told me my situation hadn’t changed. I was told I had no future at the club and, at the time, I felt I took the news really well.

“However, later in the day I felt maybe I should have reacted to the news rather than walk away with my head held high.

“On Facebook I said he (Roddy Collins) was a hateful man. He could be the best manager in Ireland for all I know as I’ve never played for him, but that’s how I felt at the time as I believed he was hateful to me in particular, since arriving at the club. That’s how I felt and that’s the reason why I posted what I did on Facebook,” continued Deery.

“I believe I can walk away from Derry City with my head held high. I’ve given the club everything I could give it.

“I’ve never left the club despite the financial difficulties it had faced and I’ve been here for close on 12 years.

“And the club has also been excellent to me and I would like to thank everyone associated with the club for that. I have some fantastic memories and I wish the club all the best. I would never say anything against the club as it has always been good to me,” claimed the midfielder.

Reflecting back on recent seasons which have been punctuated with injury problems, he felt he should have been informed of what was going to happen sooner rather than later.

“It’s no secret that I’ve had problems with injuries over recent years but I do believe I have been strung along a bit. I believe I should have been given this news much earlier in the campaign rather than now when most teams have their squad settled and their budgets spent, so that’s a major disappointment for me personally.”

Pointing to Derry’s high profile promotion-relegation clash against Finn Harps back as a highlight early in his career plus playing in so FAI and League Cup finals, Deery’s Derry City career has been successful.

SO MANY HIGHS AND LOWS

“I’ve had so many highs but there have also been lows during my career. Losing out in the final game of the same against Cork at Turner’s Cross when we lost the League title was hard to take.

“And while we really enjoyed our run in Europe in 2006, which was fantastic, we also lost out on winning the league on goal difference - we were on track to win the treble having already won the League Cup before going on to win the FAI Cup later that year.

“Winning the First Division title at the first attempt to get back into the Premier Division was brilliant after the club had been demoted by the F.A.I., but he more I look back I always knew my time was coming to an end which is fair enough.

“That’s football and you have to get on with it. For me, I have a wife and two children to look out for and I’ve got to get on with it. It’s now time to weigh up my options and move on,” continued Deery.

The player refused to give up hope of interesting other football clubs, now that he was on the way to recovery.

“I still believe I can offer something, even to other clubs. I will always remain confident in my own ability and while I’ve been plagued with a knee injury, I believe I’ve got over as it feels reasonably good at the moment.

“If the worst comes to the worst, I would hope to go out and play on a Sunday morning representing my former junior club, Trojans, whose manager, Raymond Carton, has already been onto me,” laughed the player.

“I’ve always wanted to play football from a very early age and getting paid for doing it was a great bonus, but I will keep playing for as long as I can,” he concluded.

More Share | Share Share Share Share Share Share
MORE STORIES

Canons installed at Derry’s St Columb’s
(21 March 2014)

Rachael makes it to the live shows
(15 March 2014)
MORE FROM THE WEB

Argentina is a Land of Opportunities
(HSBC Global Connections)

Mom Learns Missing Daughter Was Killed When Hospital Bill Arrives
(DNAinfo)
Recommended by

Comments must adhere to our house rules.

Login
There are no comments posted.

Weather — 5 day forecast

Login/Register

Contact Us FAQs Terms and Conditions Disclaimer Cookies Policy Switch to desktop site
All rights reserved © 2014 Johnston Publishing Ltd.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 1:46am
KEVIN Deery last night ended his association with Derry City Football Club when launching a broadside at current Brandywell boss Roddy Collins.

The 29-years-old midfielder, whose career has been decimated by injury over recent years and has been out of contract since last November, posted the news on his ‘Facebook’ account late yesterday afternoon.

Deery wrote: “That’s me officially released with the club I have spent my whole career with. I’ve had some amazing times with Derry City but all good things have to come to an end. Unfortunately for myself, it has come to an end partly through injuries and through a manager who’s without doubt one of the most hateful men I have come across in football. Thanks to all my fellow players I have played with throughout my time at the club. Good luck.”

The social media outburst will cause no shortage of controversy within Derry City circles and the player’s comments will be seen as a reaction to the club’s failure to offer Deery a new contract.

However, a club spokesman was disappointed at the news.

“Kevin Deery is a highly respected former captain of Derry City and the club is disappointed that he has reacted in this way,” he said.

“Kevin’s contract expired last November but the club opted to help organise and fund a rehabilitation programme to assist him as he attempts to overcome his troublesome knee problems.

“Obviously, no contract had been offered but we feel it was very unfair of him to criticise our current manager, Roddy Collins, who has no control over Kevin Deery as he has never managed him,” added the spokesman.

“In addition, the club honoured Kevin Deery for his loyalty with a testimonial season last year and we are very sorry to learn of the action he has taken.”

The player made a total of 13 appearances in the 44 competitive games played last season.

Kevin graduated through Derry City’s Youth Academy in 2002 having since made a total of 302 compeitive appearances in almost 12 years at the club.

He will be long remembered for scoring two magnificent strikes in a UEFA Cup first leg tie when Derry defeated former Scottish club, Gretna, 5-1 back in 2006 at Fir Park in Motherwell.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 3:28pm
Significant improvements made to the pitch for tonight's game, hopefully a better spectacle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 41>
  Share Topic