You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome Queen Lizzie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 26>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Balf.airy Balf.airy wrote:

Can i ask a question. How do they think that more people will come to ireland because of her vist. As I said I am in favour of the visit. Just wondering how it will work that people will visit Ireland on the back of it and how they add all those people to visit up to roughly 30m or 50m.  

And the fact that the €30m is the cost of security. Shop owners and retailers and service providers that depend on the public being able to freely roam the streets are not considered in this at all and I think is sickening.

The disruption this visit has caused to many people's lives and the economic cost is enough of a reason for her never to return.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

Gerard - are you saying that Justice's great point is that The Queen should apologise for the bombings - and do you seriously think she should too?  Seriously?

I think apologies should be made for EVERY injustice ever served.  I've had this conversation a couple of times in the last week, and some people's notion of 'Should the Japanese people apologise to China' as a way to back up that the queen should not apologise this week, and all that added nonsense, kind of makes sense, but means sfa in any scheme.  

The thing is, Eamon Gilmore was on the money ahead of this visit: "There is a difference between what a head of state says and what the head of a government says, and I think that we shouldn't expect the head of a state, which in many ways is a kind of ceremonial role, to do the kind of things which are more appropriate for people in government."

If the Irish people are hung up on an apology for the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, surely they should seek that from the David Cameron? 

This 'apology' argument is one that surely has received most laughs in pubs during discussions this week. 

I'm hearing from embarrassed journalists covering this this week that questions being put to Royalists and experts this week about an apology are being met with baffled looks and a real sense of 'what the f**k'.  I'm hearing second hand from one of my best mates (a good friend of his is covering this visit) that he is hugely embarrassed by some of teh questionning going on. (Although, I have to admit, there is still big speculation among Irish journalists that some sort of 'apology' or mention of past atrocities could be mentioned at some point by The Queen). 

I agree with ye Ger that it's time to build bridges...definitely.  I think this visit is a huge bridge.  I just wish more than 82 per cent of Irish people were in favour of this visit.  Or, on the other hand, I wish the other 18 percent could justify in any way a reason to oppose the visit.

Ireland is a country very, very proud of it's past and I celebrate that, I do.  I just think as long as we go in search of retribution, we'll find it very hard as a nation to move forward.  And moving forward is exactly what's required.

BTW, the Americans are making many a joke in our direction for the coverage of the Queen's visit on CNN. They can't seem to justify or understand the reason for the staunch republicans being against this visit.....but then again, neither can the staunch republicans. 

I understand the sensitive nature of this debate - I just wish it wasn't such a sensitive issue.  So I'll leave my views at that.

There are 30 million reason to oppose her visit
And that is not factoring in the losses businesses will incur this week
I'm with Balf.airy, I can't see how this is going to kick start some sort or tourism boom
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:58am
SA where are you getting your stats from?

As I am just watching Adam Boulton on Sky news who said that 1 on 3 were opposed to the visit.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:01am
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

In fact, Justice has proven himself to be the most intelligent person on this forum so he deserves that bit of respectThumbs Up

LOLLOLLOLLOL

i actually couldnt fit enough smillies into a page to cover that one !

and sir alex for once in his life is spot on with his analysis here
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:06am

Gerard - are you saying that Justice's great point is that The Queen should apologise for the bombings - and do you seriously think she should too?  Seriously?

I think apologies should be made for EVERY injustice ever served.  I've had this conversation a couple of times in the last week, and some people's notion of 'Should the Japanese people apologise to China' as a way to back up that the queen should not apologise this week, and all that added nonsense, kind of makes sense, but means sfa in any scheme.  

The thing is, Eamon Gilmore was on the money ahead of this visit: "There is a difference between what a head of state says and what the head of a government says, and I think that we shouldn't expect the head of a state, which in many ways is a kind of ceremonial role, to do the kind of things which are more appropriate for people in government."

If the Irish people are hung up on an apology for the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, surely they should seek that from the David Cameron? 

This 'apology' argument is one that surely has received most laughs in pubs during discussions this week. 

I'm hearing from embarrassed journalists covering this this week that questions being put to Royalists and experts this week about an apology are being met with baffled looks and a real sense of 'what the f**k'.  I'm hearing second hand from one of my best mates (a good friend of his is covering this visit) that he is hugely embarrassed by some of teh questionning going on. (Although, I have to admit, there is still big speculation among Irish journalists that some sort of 'apology' or mention of past atrocities could be mentioned at some point by The Queen). 

I agree with ye Ger that it's time to build bridges...definitely.  I think this visit is a huge bridge.  I just wish more than 82 per cent of Irish people were in favour of this visit.  Or, on the other hand, I wish the other 18 percent could justify in any way a reason to oppose the visit.

Ireland is a country very, very proud of it's past and I celebrate that, I do.  I just think as long as we go in search of retribution, we'll find it very hard as a nation to move forward.  And moving forward is exactly what's required.

BTW, the Americans are making many a joke in our direction for the coverage of the Queen's visit on CNN. They can't seem to justify or understand the reason for the staunch republicans being against this visit.....but then again, neither can the staunch republicans. 

I understand the sensitive nature of this debate - I just wish it wasn't such a sensitive issue.  So I'll leave my views at that.

I'm with Balf.airy, I can't see how this is going to kick start some sort or tourism boom

This is the biggest global advertising campaign Ireland has probably ever had.  Flick through the news channels - we're on every news channel I have available here.  

Tourism Ireland project that the Queen's visit will generate around €50m in tourism revenue.  That's immense.  

I hard somebody mentioning last week - not sure how accurate it was - that the Queen's visit will have the same impact on Irish Tourism as us hosting two Eurovision Song Contests in a row.(Because a hosting the Eurovision apparantly ups Tourisim by 20mill or more).

In fairness, that is probably the most ridiculous point made in this thread.  Only I could bring Eurovision in to this.

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:06am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

In fact, Justice has proven himself to be the most intelligent person on this forum so he deserves that bit of respectThumbs Up

LOLLOLLOLLOL

His analysis is 1 dimensional and has already been pointed out a couple of times his "statistics" are full of flaws.
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:07am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

As I am just watching Adam Boulton on Sky news who said that 1 on 3 were opposed to the visit.

Less than two seconds ago, Sky News just repeated that stat that I mentioned above.

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:08am

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Less than two seconds ago, Sky News just repeated that stat that I mentioned above.

Funny that. 
Yep just heard it there now myself.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOL

His analysis is 1 dimensional and has already been pointed out a couple of times his "statistics" are full of flaws.

LOL

You make me laugh Kerzy.

Right, time for lunch!

Edited by Siralex - 17 May 2011 at 8:10am
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:10am
Last year 6m people visited ireland from all over, thats a drop of 2m from 2007.
% wise, Britain is our biggest group. The Queens visit is a marketing campaign for Tourism Ireland. If we only see an increase of 100k  in the tourist numbers and they spend on average 300 (A very modest amount) a visit that recoups the 30m.

Very crude analysis i know but you get the picture. The Irish tourist board are spending further millions in adverts in Britain/US during the Queens/Obamas visit.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:11am

LOLLOLLOLLOL

His analysis is 1 dimensional and has already been pointed out a couple of times his "statistics" are full of flaws.

LOL

You make me laugh Kerzy.

Right, time for lunch!

Sleepy Sleepy Proven wrong again
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:12am
Sky news reporter, Commentators have being saying :
"Ireland gained independance from the Crown and now have surrendered it to the European Union."
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Balf.airy Balf.airy wrote:

Can i ask a question. How do they think that more people will come to ireland because of her vist. As I said I am in favour of the visit. Just wondering how it will work that people will visit Ireland on the back of it and how they add all those people to visit up to roughly 30m or 50m.  
It's a strange one to work out alright Balf.airy, would be interested to see the breakdown of their figures too.

Anyone any concrete stats on what the Tour De France brought to the economy back in the day?

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:14am

This is the biggest global advertising campaign Ireland has probably ever had.  Flick through the news channels - we're on every news channel I have available here.  

Tourism Ireland project that the Queen's visit will generate around €50m in tourism revenue.  That's immense.  

I hard somebody mentioning last week - not sure how accurate it was - that the Queen's visit will have the same impact on Irish Tourism as us hosting two Eurovision Song Contests in a row.(Because a hosting the Eurovision apparantly ups Tourisim by 20mill or more).

In fairness, that is probably the most ridiculous point made in this thread.  Only I could bring Eurovision in to this.

this tour is all about coin , if it all goes well we could get a massive boost

for all the people who have irish ancestry in the UK there are those who have none at all and even some who barely know we are independent and who have never been here,

we are a welcoming nation and lest face it if we can welcome this old cow then we can welcome anyone , fingers crossed it all goes well and we reap the benefits for years
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:15am
The £30m isn't being sent out of the country, the money is being spent on Garda overtime, a bit of road maintenance, probably a few tins of paint, sercurity barrier companies etc. The vast majority of the money will go to Irish people and businesses who will in turn get taxed on it, and the bit that is left over they will spend in their local communities. The way people are going on you'd thing the Irish Government were giving Liz and Phil a big sack of money to encourage them to visit.
I don't know how much tourism it will generate, my experience of speaking to people here is that they are put off from visiting Dublin because of the perception that it is too expensive not because the Queen has never been, but I'm sure there will be a few who see the visit and think it looks like a nice spot.
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

The £30m isn't being sent out of the country, the money is being spent on Garda overtime, a bit of road maintenance, probably a few tins of paint, sercurity barrier companies etc. The vast majority of the money will go to Irish people and businesses who will in turn get taxed on it, and the bit that is left over they will spend in their local communities. The way people are going on you'd thing the Irish Government were giving Liz and Phil a big sack of money to encourage them to visit.
I don't know how much tourism it will generate, my experience of speaking to people here is that they are put off from visiting Dublin because of the perception that it is too expensive not because the Queen has never been, but I'm sure there will be a few who see the visit and think it looks like a nice spot.

Excellent point.
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:18am

LOLLOLLOLLOL

LOL

You make me laugh Kerzy.

Right, time for lunch!

Sleepy Sleepy Proven wrong again

Do explain, how was I proven wrong?

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:19am
The 50m mentioned is speculative. There is no guarantee whatsoever it will generate anything near thiat figure

We are gambling tax payers money yet again

And, if there is a growth in tourism, will there be anything for the businesses that will suffer this week?
Didn't think so

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 26>
  Share Topic