You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome Queen Lizzie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 26>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 6:52am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Less of the personal abuse, especially on an issue like this
Justice has already point forward a one perfectly valid point, and it certainly aint 'thick'
In fact, Justice has proven himself to be the most intelligent person on this forum so he deserves that bit of respectThumbs Up
She should apologise for the Dublin and Monaghan murders which her monarchy collaborated in, no reason not to. You talk about building bridges, there is one way to start, SORRY

If the 30 million is made back then yes it is worthwile. 

And for those who think the 30 million is solely made up because of Republican threats LOL
The Queen of England demands the highest of security wherever she visits

But as I say, IF Ireland benefits financially that's the main thing. 

Love the way you pull SA up on the personal abuse when it suits you Ger

Cameron should be the one apologising for the collusion in the Dublin and Monaghan bombing, not the queen. He's the prime minister.

Edited by seaniemac - 17 May 2011 at 6:55am
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 6:54am
I wonder what they'll talk about during dinner?
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 6:59am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

I wonder what they'll talk about during dinner?

Someones guaranteed to mention the weather!
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:00am
Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

Less of the personal abuse, especially on an issue like this
Justice has already point forward a one perfectly valid point, and it certainly aint 'thick'
In fact, Justice has proven himself to be the most intelligent person on this forum so he deserves that bit of respectThumbs Up
She should apologise for the Dublin and Monaghan murders which her monarchy collaborated in, no reason not to. You talk about building bridges, there is one way to start, SORRY

If the 30 million is made back then yes it is worthwile. 

And for those who think the 30 million is solely made up because of Republican threats LOL
The Queen of England demands the highest of security wherever she visits

But as I say, IF Ireland benefits financially that's the main thing. 

Love the way you finally pull SA up on the personal abuse when it suits you Ger

Cameron should be the one apologising for the collusion in the Dublin and Monaghan bombing, not the queen. He's the prime minister.

Alex has been pulled up plenty of times before thanksThumbs Up

Considering it's such a high profile visit, way way higher than a visit from Cameron, and considering it is the anniversary of the bombings, and considering everyone is talking about moving on, then an apology from the Queen of England on this day would be niceThumbs Up
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:04am
My 2 cents on this -don't give a flying fook about this - She visits Ireland fairly often. And sure wasn't big ears himself visiting a Church on my street the other month - Catholic church as well if anyone asks.

My only concern is the utterence of the phrase ' maturing as a nation' or references to Ireland growing up. Anyone caught letting these words pass their lips should be put against a wall and shot with balls of thier own sh*te.

That is all.
@AntrimMan85
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:06am
Apologies come from the Prime Minister, not the Queen! You know that Ger too. Even if she does say sorry (doubt she will), it will be everything, not just for the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.
The chances are she will give a 'troubled past we have and look forward to a shared future', blah, blah, blah speech.

Here's Gilmore's take on it -
"There is a difference between what a head of state says and what the head of a government says, and I think that we shouldn't expect the head of a state, which in many ways is a kind of ceremonial role, to do the kind of things which are more appropriate for people in government,”

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:11am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Originally posted by Balf.airy Balf.airy wrote:

Has there been a cost benefit analysis done, the media coverage of the visit has been low key, how do they know they will get it back in vat receipts from more tourists. I would be sceptical that it pays for itself,

so vat receipts are the only benefit to the exchequer from tourism ?

When did I use the term only or the word only.  It is one of the ways that they expect to pay for the visit. 

People are saying it will pay for itself, I would like to see the analysis of this.  I would like to see tangiable evidence of the economic beneifts.

I am in favour of the visit by the way.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:12am
That's fair enough Sean but the British forces swear allegiance to the Queen of England so an apology might go some way to 'building bridges'

It's very easy for people to come on forums and tell Irish people to forget and move on
Tell that to the relatives of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings today
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:17am

LOLLOLLOLLOL

Edited by BigPodge - 17 May 2011 at 7:18am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:18am
I see David Trimble mingling in the crowd and 3 Leaders of the UDA are also invited.

Anyone got a list of whose on the guest list.

Edited by horsebox - 17 May 2011 at 7:20am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:18am

What a bunch of f.airyers these people are doing the bomb threats! (whether ye agree with the visit or not)

Even in Drogheda, the court was closed this morning and the train station has now just closed cos of bomb threats.

These idiots are gona make today a pain in the hole for a lot of people. Definitely don’t get any support from me doing this sh*te aroudn teh country

"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:26am

That's fair enough Sean but the British forces swear allegiance to the Queen of England so an apology might go some way to 'building bridges'

It's very easy for people to come on forums and tell Irish people to forget and move on
Tell that to the relatives of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings today
I'd rather have the Prime Minister of Britain say sorry than some token person like the queen.

Do you go to mass or are you religious Ger? Do you say the hail mary? Do you believe Mary was a virgin?! Realistically, you probably don't. Most people our age don't but most who pray still say the hail mary. The british forces swearing allegiance to the queen is a ceremonial thing, stop getting fixated on it.

Ger, my uncle saw his best mate blown apart in front of him in the Dublin bombings so you don't need to tell me your last paragraph. I know it only too well. I've talked to him about this and his opinion on it is that he doesn't know what all the fuss is and isn't it about time she was here. She wasn't the one colluding with the loyalist is the way he looks at it. Take a step back, it's a very rational and healthy way to look at it really when you think about it.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:29am
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOL

Table quiz champion JusticeThumbs Up
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:30am
Acording to the BBC scuffles have broken out on O'Connell Street as gardai try to remove protesters from near the Spire.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:44am
Gerard - are you saying that Justice's great point is that The Queen should apologise for the bombings - and do you seriously think she should too?  Seriously?

I think apologies should be made for EVERY injustice ever served.  I've had this conversation a couple of times in the last week, and some people's notion of 'Should the Japanese people apologise to China' as a way to back up that the queen should not apologise this week, and all that added nonsense, kind of makes sense, but means sfa in any scheme.  

The thing is, Eamon Gilmore was on the money ahead of this visit: "There is a difference between what a head of state says and what the head of a government says, and I think that we shouldn't expect the head of a state, which in many ways is a kind of ceremonial role, to do the kind of things which are more appropriate for people in government."

If the Irish people are hung up on an apology for the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, surely they should seek that from the David Cameron? 

This 'apology' argument is one that surely has received most laughs in pubs during discussions this week. 

I'm hearing from embarrassed journalists covering this this week that questions being put to Royalists and experts this week about an apology are being met with baffled looks and a real sense of 'what the f**k'.  I'm hearing second hand from one of my best mates (a good friend of his is covering this visit) that he is hugely embarrassed by some of teh questionning going on. (Although, I have to admit, there is still big speculation among Irish journalists that some sort of 'apology' or mention of past atrocities could be mentioned at some point by The Queen). 

I agree with ye Ger that it's time to build bridges...definitely.  I think this visit is a huge bridge.  I just wish more than 82 per cent of Irish people were in favour of this visit.  Or, on the other hand, I wish the other 18 percent could justify in any way a reason to oppose the visit.

Ireland is a country very, very proud of it's past and I celebrate that, I do.  I just think as long as we go in search of retribution, we'll find it very hard as a nation to move forward.  And moving forward is exactly what's required.

BTW, the Americans are making many a joke in our direction for the coverage of the Queen's visit on CNN. They can't seem to justify or understand the reason for the staunch republicans being against this visit.....but then again, neither can the staunch republicans. 

I understand the sensitive nature of this debate - I just wish it wasn't such a sensitive issue.  So I'll leave my views at that.

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:47am
Originally posted by colemany2k colemany2k wrote:

Acording to the BBC scuffles have broken out on O'Connell Street as gardai try to remove protesters from near the Spire.

Yea seen that happen. Nearly kicked off big time.
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:51am
Ok danny dyer!
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:52am
Can i ask a question. How do they think that more people will come to ireland because of her vist. As I said I am in favour of the visit. Just wondering how it will work that people will visit Ireland on the back of it and how they add all those people to visit up to roughly 30m or 50m.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 26>
  Share Topic