You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Robbie Brady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 165166167168169 182>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 11:10pm
LOL
Sponsored Links

Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Baffled why since day one (and to this day) Kenny waxes lyrical about him. Surely we've better (reliable) options at this point.

Kenny has a similar blind spot for James McCarthy. Talks about him like he's Pirlo or something. I guess every manager has it. There's what you want players to be in your head, and what in fact they are right now. 
It's blinkered rear view mirror thinking that Kenny really needs to shake off. It's been a long time since 2016, and we need to look at younger, more hungry players who don't break down at the first opportunity. This means dropping under-performing players like Brady and McCarthy who aren't the most reliable with fitness and blooding younger talent. 

Cullen has already come through in a massive way and is playing at at least as good a level as McCarthy is (if not better). There's not even a need for McCarthy anymore, he's been replaced.

Brady doesn't even have a club and won't even have a preseason under his belt when he eventually finds one. We play Portugal in 3 weeks. How can we possibly call up a player who won't be match fit and might not even have a club at all? It's not even like he's been playing that well he's indispensable. 

It's time for Ireland and Kenny to move on.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 11:43am
McCarthy won't be available for the Portugal game.

Who are these players he's meant to call up? to replace 2 players who played in the EPL for years now and got up to a major championship.

Cullen is a poor mans McCarthy anyway.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:10pm
Kenny may also have been bigging up the likes of McCarthy & Brady to get them onside as they may have been loyal to other managers and are big influences around the camp. That's less of an issue these days obviously.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:25pm
Cullen doesn’t even play the same role as McCarthy no matter how many times people on here try to claim he does. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Who are these players he's meant to call up? to replace 2 players who played in the EPL for years now and got up to a major championship.

McCarthy ON HIS DAY is indeed superior to Cullen, but nobody cares how good somebody was or how good  they could be, their potential or attributes they have in their locker. Or the old classic..."they just need a run of games".

HOW...ARE ..THEY...PLAYING....NOW?

That should be the only consideration. Yeah I'll agree you may have one or two stalwart players who've had a bad year and you may still consider for selection, but we have players included in recent squads who haven't done anything in years. Blind loyalty is not to be applauded.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Cullen doesn’t even play the same role as McCarthy no matter how many times people on here try to claim he does. 
McCarthy and Cullen both play in the number 6 role for club and country, so I am not sure what you mean.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

They're not far off the same role. They're both defensive sitting midfielders. In a broadstroke I would say that McCarthy is superior defensively while Cullen would be superior from an offensive point of view. 

While we haven't seen it much with Ireland, with Anderlecht Cullen is great at linking play between the goalkeeper/defence and the advanced mids/wingers. He breaks up play and but also has the ability to start attacks himself.

McCarthy's consistent flaw throughout his Ireland career anyway, has been his lack of personality as Trap would say. He has never demanded to be on the ball nearly enough. He far too often abdicates responsibility when we're in possession. As I mentioned earlier, it's always baffled me when Kenny talks about him like this Pirlo type character, when the truth is he is at his best when we're not in possession. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:38pm
Shocked to hear a manager speaking positively about some of his players who are having a tough time of it, it’s almost as if a confidence boost could be helpful to them 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Shocked to hear a manager speaking positively about some of his players who are having a tough time of it, it’s almost as if a confidence boost could be helpful to them 

Yes exactly
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

McCarthy ON HIS DAY is indeed superior to Cullen, but nobody cares how good somebody was or how good  they could be, their potential or attributes they have in their locker. Or the old classic..."they just need a run of games".

HOW...ARE ..THEY...PLAYING....NOW?

That should be the only consideration. Yeah I'll agree you may have one or two stalwart players who've had a bad year and you may still consider for selection, but we have players included in recent squads who haven't done anything in years. Blind loyalty is not to be applauded.

Neither should be selected now as they are not playing for their clubs. We are not in a position to be writing off players.
McCarthy is focusing on getting match fit so will opt out of the games in early Sept.

Connolly, Idah, Collins, Smallbone, O'Dowda and many others all with a history of injuries.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 11:07pm
Is he training with anyone or any talks of signing a deal?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 11:40pm
No word of anything. Probably won't be until the transfer window closes, clubs become more interested in free agents to plug squad gaps once they can't buy or loan any other players.

Any club signing him is taking a risk given his injury history so he won't be on many shortlists of clubs that would pay the kind of wages he's used to earning.

Edited by You Tell Me - 18 Aug 2021 at 11:40pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 4:20pm
Robbie reported today to be signing for Gaziantep in Turkey. I hadn't heard of them before but apparently they play in the top tier over there.

Edited by Green Cockade - 30 Aug 2021 at 4:21pm
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Robbie reported today to be signing for Gaziantep in Turkey. I hadn't heard of them before but apparently they play in the top tier over there.

Bizarre choice of club.

Who would have seen this in 2016 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 4:31pm
oof that would be a little underwhelming. I suppose this is the reality of his situation but honestly even a league of the standard of Sweden, Greece or Belgium would be preferable 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I'll give it until christmas. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

oof that would be a little underwhelming. I suppose this is the reality of his situation but honestly even a league of the standard of Sweden, Greece or Belgium would be preferable 

The Turkish league is head of the Swedish and Greek league.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 165166167168169 182>
  Share Topic