You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The future of the Singing Section

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Flag poles is another issue. We keep getting assurances that its ok to bring them in yet every game same sh*t.

most fan groups I know that use flag poles bring them in really early, hours before kick off, and don't remove them until well after the game ends. Perhaps there could be two or three people nominated to bring them in and cleared by the FAI to be in the stadium that early?
For saturday games this would be fine, but for midweek games, work, etc would cause some problems with getting to the stadium that early
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:33am

Excellent points Trap. Agree, after this campaign you might have people unwilling to buy the season ticket again

My suggestion would be for FAI to market the North Terrace as the singing section as a category of ticket (and have an official name for it). Sell the season tickets based on what we are. ‘Like minded supporters who want to stand and sing for the whole game’. So basically auldfellas who want to sit for the game know not to go for those tickets.

The North holds about 3000-5000 does it? It would take a great effort to fill that.  But we got 600 in the singing section through this site basically, if the FAI actually marketed it correctly, we could be looking to increase that significantly. Qualification for the Euro’s would help this out big time!

If we had the North, we would be visible to the whole stadium. We could hang the flags on the glass and could have displays like the League of Ireland behind the goal.

ShannonHibs10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Can't resist used french letters

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShannonHibs10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:34am
Originally posted by bananarepublic bananarepublic wrote:

From someone who observes and tries to join in as much as possible from the upper west I think the most logical location is the North stand (You are visible to all parts of the ground and you can cover the whole back wall with flags and have no issue with advertising)

Im dreading the game against the north because you just know that whole section will be wall to wall union jacks while we might have a few flags laid out on the grass in from of the SS)

I think when people see you going mental, clapping, jumping, waving scarfs , flags etc then they may be more inclined to join in and yis are lost where you are at the moment.

Keep up the good work no matter what.

Its a load of boll***S not being able to hang our flags in our stadium. Its more important to show a sponsor than hang a tri colour.I brought my flag once, to the Andorra game and placed it on the pitch. Whats the point in bringing a flag to place it on the pitch. I have not brought it since as whats the point.

Against the north they will have a powerful display of Union Jacks in the North Stand. If we moved to the North Stand then there would be no issue with us hanging our flags, we would be seen by the crowd as well as the television cameras thus giving better exposure to the SS.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:42am
I imagine the North is earmarked for games against nations that will be travelling with a big support. Easier to accomadate them all to one stand and not mixing with everyone. Is there anyway to check with the FAI is the North stand is defo a non runner.
AndyMc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:53am
I remember someone saying to me the view wasnt as good behin the north stand?

Do you think the reason we are in 116 and not the middle is because they know we will come regardless, where as seats behind the goal would be easier to sell than corner seats to people who come regularly?
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:57am
Prefer if we moved behind the goal in the south stand, view from the north is pretty flat. Also prefer to stay in Row Z myself , not to low and not too far back.

Should be relatively straightforword instad of 117/116 allocate 115/114, Both were pretty full for a meaningless midweek friendly
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
da_launchpad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da_launchpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:00am
it HAS got to be moved from to either behind goals in south stand or north stand. the Irish support young and old are all about the atmosphere and getting behind the team.

SS would be heard & seen clearly in either of these positions and ripple effect would take off. Must get the flag display situation resolved first though. every Ireland game in my memory the obvious thing was all the flags around the stadium be it Landsdowne or an away game.
If in doubt just f**k it out!!! Stop the nonsense as Johnny Giles would say
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:00am
RE the drum/bodhran

Sounded class last night again, but maybe try to keep it going for longer? Don't just drop off half way through a chant The drum will keep it going!!
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
JH91 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JH91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:05am
Originally posted by AndyMc AndyMc wrote:

I remember someone saying to me the view wasnt as good behin the north stand?

Do you think the reason we are in 116 and not the middle is because they know we will come regardless, where as seats behind the goal would be easier to sell than corner seats to people who come regularly?

I presume lower Tier halfway line tickets are a lot more expensive.
You'd probably end up diluting the SS if you moved there.

If we were in the North stand where do we put the away fans?
FAI probably prefer having the away fans here as its easier to isolate them.
Don't know how well the noise would travel either from there. Would look good though and easier for the rest of the stadium to spot us. Parts of the SS are hidden of under the upper tier.
ColG View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:20am
The North stand would probably be the best in my opinion but as some of ya's are sayin I think the FAI have that reserved for large groups of travelling fans... But if we could get that it would be the best place It will do no harm to ask... I have enjoyed this season in the SS but we are just in a bad position we are sort of trapped in a corner.. Moving behind the goal may make a slight difference but wouldnt have teh same effect as in the North Stand... In the North Stand we could hand all our flags and in my opinion that would really make teh diofference!!

Edited by Rob1970 - 30 Mar 2011 at 11:20am
BoboDub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoboDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:38am
To reflect the recent historical incompetence of the country and team's administrators, and to appease the celtic fans, we could call it "the Bungle"
soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:45am
Originally posted by BoboDub BoboDub wrote:

To reflect the recent historical incompetence of the country and team's administrators, and to appease the celtic fans, we could call it "the Bungle"

and our Mascot

Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:55am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

RE the drum/bodhran

Sounded class last night again, but maybe try to keep it going for longer? Don't just drop off half way through a chant The drum will keep it going!!
Will do Mark...I get lazyThumbs%20Up. Nah actually it's more because I think the echo/reverb is mad when I'm under the roof and I was conscious that it might be a bit overpowering and taking away from the clapping/singing. So I was more using it just to get it going. If it's better to keep banging though, I'll do that.

Going to China for a few months so will be passing on bodhran duties for the Carling Cup games. Hope to be back for Slovakia though. There was another bodhran hiding over to the right yesterday and it's a shame that, if someones made the effort to lug the thing to the game they don't give it more of a go.
<insert witty comment>
flick View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 12:22pm
The bad thing about the location now is the divide between the left and side and the right. Im on the right hand side as u go in the entrance of 116 and although it's in the SS, there is poor coordonation between both sides

Also I think we need to make the singing section better visually. A good few rolls of green toiletpaper to throw around to make us noticed, green confetti etc.

Another thing we could do would be to get people to walk down the stairs at entrance 117 and 115. That way we would automatically join in and the lads walking down the stairs will encourage the other sides to stand up.
GWAN YBIG
Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 12:41pm
Good post TJ
I agree with trying to move the SS to behind the goal, leave the North stand for the opposition's fans. Being stuck under the roof doesn't help our cause either! The SS also needs a coupla leaders, one on each side to coordinate the singing, and possibly on each end too (Trapped, Sham, Beavis and his bodhran).
As regards to promoting the SS we have a coupla members who are journalists so maybe they can mention something about the SS in the build up to the next coupla games.
To be honest I can only see it getting bigger in the future, it's still early days!
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
statoir View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote statoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 1:37pm
Being more visible is key and marketing it officially will help extend it. Also agree with next seasons package on season tickets being the biggest factor in future success. The main objective is to get as many people singing as possible in the ground so it can't get too hardcore or intimidating for other Ire fans or they won't join us. The biggest boost fir the team is a full ground with loads singing not a concentration of a few hundred tucked away.

If we do successfully expand, it would be good to have the original group remembered in an informal name. As an example from this thread of asylum (or whatever word is apt) 'Asylum 116' or 'South 116' So even if we move sections it is irrelevant as the name is homage to the early days. Im sure there are more creative ideas but i like the idea of 116 being in there. I think to keep it marketable and branded for the fai to raise awareness and sell, singing section as its formal and official name is fine.

Edited by statoir - 30 Mar 2011 at 1:50pm
At number 1, its Gary Breen...
AndyMc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 1:40pm
Could we get a newspaper to sponsor flags to be left on every seat in 116 and that way we wouldn't get them taken off us ? I know the Irish mail did it for the compromise rules series....
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

McGeadskiStar View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McGeadskiStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 1:52pm
Lads only recently came to this site but have been going to all the home qualifiers since the start of the last campaign. I've had a season ticket for the upper tier in the west stand and I have to say the SS looks like great craic from where I am sitting. I'd really be interested in trying to get a season ticket for next season in the SS. Are they much more expensive than our cheaper upper tier season tickets? Also does anyone know if the season tickets for next year can be bought for just competitive games now that they've unbundled the tickets from friendlies?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic