Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The future of the Singing Section

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The future of the Singing Section
    Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:32am

I think we have come to a cross roads with regard to the singing section. There are some issues that need to be addressed very soon imo.

1. The singing section could break up if we do not address the season ticket issue for next aug-may. There are only 2 competitive games in this season ticket and most of the games will be friendlies. Ive talked to a a few lads and also reading the vibe on here and it seems to me that alot of people either A) cant afford to renew their season ticket or B) Think they can save money by simply buying a ticket game by game. I think most lads fit into category B. If lads do this they will probably not be given a singing section seat for next year and be allocated a different seat game by game. Those Aviva security guards are also checking that your ticket is for area 116 so there may be an issue with lads who think they can just walk into our area in the future. Some deal with Delaney and the Ticket Office needs to be done if possible.

2. The location of the singing section. Needs to be moved in my opinion and some of the other lads opinion. It should be A) Behind the goal in the North stand, B) directly behind the goal in the South stand or C) opposite the halfway line in the east stand. We are not prominent where we are. Half of us are under the balcony and cant be seen. We look like a group of about 150 from other parts of the stadium even though theres up to 600 on big game nights. People dont realise how small the SS looks right now.  The whole purpose of the SS is to try to get an atmosphere going to help the team. We want the rest of the stadium to join in chants if possible. This will be hard to do but if we were seen in a more prominent position by the crowds and TV people would take more notice of us.

3. Banners and Flags. Currently there is some Carlsberg advertising directly above the SS. Therefore we cannot cover them with banners. We can cover Aviva ones and balcony where there is no advertising. Why cant these be moved 20yds over so we can use this balcony for our banners. There is some space between the SS and the west stand to hang stuff but its not over our heads and cant be seen by TV.  I think it would be great if there was a big vinyl banner that we could cover the balcony with something along the lines of ''YBIG THE VOICE OF LANSDOWNE'' or ''BRINGING BACK THE ROAR''. Im not bothered what the slogan is as long as we have something semi permanent up there above us for every game identifying who we are. Which brings me to point 4.

4. Very few people know who we are. No one even takes notice of us. We look like a bunch of Rovers supporters who have come to a game together and acting the eejit. Thats if they have even noticed us as I said. We have nothing much which identifies us apart from the ybig flag which is on the grass but to many people it just looks like an ireland flag with come on you boys in green on it.  Declan King the PA announcer should be mentioning the YBIG Snging Section
before the game and at half time encouraging the crowd to join in with the songs. He should also be telling the crowd if they want to sing songs and join the SS go to YBIG.ie or phone 01 337848 whatever. The SS needs to be bigger.

Its a new stadium and there will be teething problems. But we are now 6 games in or whatever and its now time to start getting things done. Flag poles is another issue. We keep getting assurances that its ok to bring them in yet every game same sh*t.  I just think we are at a crossroads where the SS can be bigger and better or fall apart completely.  I hope this sparks off a discussion here so hopefully we can get Delaney to deliver on his word.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:36am
what about getting a name, instead of just being called the singing section
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:36am
Top post Trap J , I concur massively Thumbs%20Up
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

what about getting a name, instead of just being called the singing section

The hedge i think it was originially
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
zoolander View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoolander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:38am
Good shout from RB, not sure about the hedge tho.
It's a walk-off!
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:41am

I prefer "The Asylum" as a nameThumbs%20Up

ROLL ON 2016
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:41am
Well said Trap, and fully agree. THis was my first game there as I hadn't been able to travel over before yet, and it sounds great when you're in it. But watching games on telly. you don't always notice it unless you know of it and specifically look and listen to it.

It's quite spread out right now, need to all be in 1 area/corner
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:42am
eh lads, the name thing is not really a massive factor FFS
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:43am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

eh lads, the name thing is not really a massive factor FFS
We will go with the Asylum so

ROLL ON 2016
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:43am
A few of us spoke with Tony O'Donoghue and John Delaney and asked them to try and promote the SS a bit further.

We did try and explain that no ones knows about the SS but slowly people are getting wind of it and getting tickets for this section.
But the FAI and RTE need to try and promote it a bit further.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:46am
best way to get noticed is to make a political protest

no-one had heard tell of the Green Brigade until Poppy Day

LOL
heyirish View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:50am
I have looked at the videos on youtube and they are absolutley top notch but wouldnt it be better to be doing this before the game to try build up atmosphere???

Definatley move it directly behind the goal in the South Stand
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now
kevjreilly View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevjreilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:52am
Good post TJ, some good questions. I have been going to ireland games for about 14 yrs now and Sat was my 1st time in the singing section, have to say it was the best craic I have had at a home game in a long time.
I think the work done here so far has been amazing, but there could be a huge improvement. I think moving right behind the goal would help and we defo need more awarness of the ss, like you say people think its a bunch of rovers fans.
Read it 3 times before posting
bananarepublic View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananarepublic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:53am
From someone who observes and tries to join in as much as possible from the upper west I think the most logical location is the North stand (You are visible to all parts of the ground and you can cover the whole back wall with flags and have no issue with advertising)

Im dreading the game against the north because you just know that whole section will be wall to wall union jacks while we might have a few flags laid out on the grass in from of the SS)

I think when people see you going mental, clapping, jumping, waving scarfs , flags etc then they may be more inclined to join in and yis are lost where you are at the moment.

Keep up the good work no matter what.
Justice No. 1 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice No. 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:59am
Ban Yellow Jacket Insurance Company f**ks from being anywhere near the SSAngry
Ban "Oh Tappatoni he used to be Italian but he's Irish now" NO HE'S NOTAngry - In fairness i only heard this embarrassing tune once last nite

Get Three Mobile to promote it with their advertising of Ireland games. i'll see if i can get some beachballs to knock about like the  footballs last  nite

drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:00am
Well said TJ.

We can only be noticed if the issue of flags and banners are sorted out as they make us stand out in the stadium and which let people know who we are and what we are trying to do.
I had a walk about during the game last night and it does look like just a few rowdies singing in a part of the ground and to be honest it looks quite small (even though it was a friendly).

We do need to be behind the goal with tifo flags, our own individual ones and some impressive banners on the hoarding.

Why are the FAI not giving us a dig out here?

Football is entertainment and the crowd need to be entertined wether its the football or the atmosphere at the game. But if we have both they will sell more tickets.

It looks like somebody in the fai has a problem with us loyal fans who are only trying to help the cause.

Chips don't bounce
Carmody 10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmody 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:03am

Well said Trap.

What does the North stand hold ? I presume if we were to move from the South Stand that the whole of the North Stand would be branded a "Singing Section" and that be made clear to people when buying a ticket, No point in half of it being a signing section as it would look stupid if you saw a small number of fans singing in such a small stand. We need to get that full of supporters willing to sing and make an atmosphere.

This is all of course if we did decide to move the Singing Section
Out of order
PaulMcGrath View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulMcGrath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:08am
Have had a great time in the singing section this season. Very important we get it right for next year. True about promoting it though. Was speaking about the SS to a couple of lads last night - who have been to every game this season and they had never heard of it - which I was amazed at. But a huge thanks from me to everyone involved in setting it up - has been brilliant.
Ooh Aah Paul McGrath say ooh aah Pau McGrath
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic