You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Celtic Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17371738173917401741 1935>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:57am
Originally posted by TigerRoll TigerRoll wrote:

Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

The appointment of Eddie Howe is not only huge for Glasgow Celtic. It’s a huge appointment for Scottish Football, in the same league as Brendan Rodgers appointment. This is a manager who was in the frame for the England job not that long ago. He should be allowed to appoint whoever he deems fit, his work in Bournemouth is often belittled.

There are some similarities to Rodgers, but Rodgers was involved with big clubs, at Chelsea and took Liverpool within a whisker of their first league in countless years. Howe was working under little or no pressure at Burnley.

While Howe's work at Bournemouth is commendable, cant ignore the fact FFP rules where broke to gain promotion and he ultimately got them relegated after spunking a fortune. They also leaked a load of goals, which doesnt inspire confidence considering our shambles of a defence. Couldnt cut it at Burnley either.

As for being linked to England job, any English man that strings a few results together usually gets the same treatment.

On paper it looks like a good appointment, and probably the highest profile manager we could attract, that will excite the majority of fans. He could be a great appointment, just his lack of involvement at a big club concerns me. 

Howe should have had a larger job long before Celtic. ‘Commendable’ this is the issue. He took Bournemouth from the lower leagues of English football, to the Premier League and maintained them there for a few seasons. Bournemouth should never have been in the PL, LOI has stadiums that match Bournemouth’s. He simply didn’t just take Bournemouth to the PL, he took them there and played attacking football, against any opposition. He could of went down a big Sam route, but he didn’t. He matched the larger established clubs week in week out. 

The issue he will have is adopting to Glasgow. He’s been comfortable in the South of England, it’s a nicer lifestyle. That will change. He also goes into a club expected to play his style of football, but to win each and every game. And crucially, get into Europe. Having a pop at him for breaking fair play rules is a tad ridiculous also, his job is to manage the players the board and DOF buy in. I personally believe Howe should be given what he wants and needs, in Bournemouth that’s very much what happened and it led to his success. The DOF he wants is Scottish, and a Celtic fan. He understands how large the club is and what it’ll entail, and let’s be frank. Outside of Christie, Jullian and maybe one or two others. There isn’t much there to work with, he needs 7/8 new faces in the door to hit the ground running. A DOF he’s familiar with, is crucial to that. I do expect another few ex Bournemouth staff to come aboard, if that means Woods the GK coach goes. So be it. Celtic don’t need any reminder of the Lennon era. 

If he’s given the tools, the budget, and the team he wants around him. He’ll develop Celtic into an unstoppable force in Scotland again but make inroads into Europe again. 

I dont think its ridiculous to point a factor in his success was down to spending a lot to get into the Prem. You cant claim it as one of his success without putting some context on it. Would he have ever got to the Prem without the big spending? Tony Mowbray had similar success with West Brom and we know how that ended.

Our defence has been a shambles. He got Bournemouth relegated whilst conceding 65 goals in the league. Bit of a cliche but 'attackers win you games, defences win you championships'. Hes reportedly looking to bring in one of those defenders who played the majority of games that season.

I dont see any evidence he will improve us in Europe considering, to my knowledge anyway, hes never competed in Europe before. 

Agreed if he does come in he should be given what he wants and if that means a clear out of backroom staff so be it. One thing in his favour, will be as you say, an almost new squad will be required, Which should eradicate the cliques that had formed in the dressing room. Giving him a clean slate and a chance to put down a marker without being undermined. 

Just think the furore over his potential appointment needs tempered a bit. On paper certainly looks a studious coach that should improve us. Time will tell if he can handle the environment. I hope he can. 
Sponsored Links

Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:59am
Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

He signed a lot of good young players for Burnley. Kieran Trippier, Ben Mee, Charlie Austin , Sam Vokes and Danny Ings  amongst them.

Why do you think he didnt succeed at Burnley CM? Reports of homesickness etc was that the case?
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 12:04pm
Speculation that Crystal Palace are making a late bid to get Steady Eddie?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Speculation that Crystal Palace are making a late bid to get Steady Eddie?

Reported to have turned down advances of Sheff Utd and Newcastle to come to us. Palace might be a different story with its location. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 2:08pm
Celtic been drawn away to Rangers in the Scottish Cup.
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 2:39pm
Cove Rangers or Covid Rangers
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 6:26pm
Howe to Palace seems to be growing momentum. Will be disappointing if he goes there
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 7:08pm

The appointment of Eddie Howe is not only huge for Glasgow Celtic. It’s a huge appointment for Scottish Football, in the same league as Brendan Rodgers appointment. This is a manager who was in the frame for the England job not that long ago. He should be allowed to appoint whoever he deems fit, his work in Bournemouth is often belittled.

There are some similarities to Rodgers, but Rodgers was involved with big clubs, at Chelsea and took Liverpool within a whisker of their first league in countless years. Howe was working under little or no pressure at Burnley.

While Howe's work at Bournemouth is commendable, cant ignore the fact FFP rules where broke to gain promotion and he ultimately got them relegated after spunking a fortune. They also leaked a load of goals, which doesnt inspire confidence considering our shambles of a defence. Couldnt cut it at Burnley either.

As for being linked to England job, any English man that strings a few results together usually gets the same treatment.

On paper it looks like a good appointment, and probably the highest profile manager we could attract, that will excite the majority of fans. He could be a great appointment, just his lack of involvement at a big club concerns me. 

Howe should have had a larger job long before Celtic. ‘Commendable’ this is the issue. He took Bournemouth from the lower leagues of English football, to the Premier League and maintained them there for a few seasons. Bournemouth should never have been in the PL, LOI has stadiums that match Bournemouth’s. He simply didn’t just take Bournemouth to the PL, he took them there and played attacking football, against any opposition. He could of went down a big Sam route, but he didn’t. He matched the larger established clubs week in week out. 

The issue he will have is adopting to Glasgow. He’s been comfortable in the South of England, it’s a nicer lifestyle. That will change. He also goes into a club expected to play his style of football, but to win each and every game. And crucially, get into Europe. Having a pop at him for breaking fair play rules is a tad ridiculous also, his job is to manage the players the board and DOF buy in. I personally believe Howe should be given what he wants and needs, in Bournemouth that’s very much what happened and it led to his success. The DOF he wants is Scottish, and a Celtic fan. He understands how large the club is and what it’ll entail, and let’s be frank. Outside of Christie, Jullian and maybe one or two others. There isn’t much there to work with, he needs 7/8 new faces in the door to hit the ground running. A DOF he’s familiar with, is crucial to that. I do expect another few ex Bournemouth staff to come aboard, if that means Woods the GK coach goes. So be it. Celtic don’t need any reminder of the Lennon era. 

If he’s given the tools, the budget, and the team he wants around him. He’ll develop Celtic into an unstoppable force in Scotland again but make inroads into Europe again. 

I dont think its ridiculous to point a factor in his success was down to spending a lot to get into the Prem. You cant claim it as one of his success without putting some context on it. Would he have ever got to the Prem without the big spending? Tony Mowbray had similar success with West Brom and we know how that ended.

Our defence has been a shambles. He got Bournemouth relegated whilst conceding 65 goals in the league. Bit of a cliche but 'attackers win you games, defences win you championships'. Hes reportedly looking to bring in one of those defenders who played the majority of games that season.

I dont see any evidence he will improve us in Europe considering, to my knowledge anyway, hes never competed in Europe before. 

Agreed if he does come in he should be given what he wants and if that means a clear out of backroom staff so be it. One thing in his favour, will be as you say, an almost new squad will be required, Which should eradicate the cliques that had formed in the dressing room. Giving him a clean slate and a chance to put down a marker without being undermined. 

Just think the furore over his potential appointment needs tempered a bit. On paper certainly looks a studious coach that should improve us. Time will tell if he can handle the environment. I hope he can. 

‘Big Spending’ he spent just under 5 million, signing Callum Wilson and Andrew Surname for small fees with two free signings.
I mean, Celtic for a number of seasons have wasted well of 5m a window, recruiting players who simply aren’t good enough. 

Steve Cook, I’m assuming you’re talking about. He’s over 150 appearances in the Premier League and was with Howe pretty much from day one in League One. Still under 30, and free. He’d be an excellent addition. And one player fans could be assured would hit the ground running due to his familiarity with Howe. Which can also only help in the dressing room. In reality Howe should try and recruit 2/3 players he knows and trusts. Similar to Rodgers with Sinclair. 

I’ll agree Europe is an unknown, but there’s an argument that getting to the Premier League is a tougher task than getting into Europe.

The Celtic board really need to get a move on now and sign Howe. As dragging this out doesn’t help recruitment this summer, and brings more uncertainty. It’ll also mean Celtic lost their main target due to messing around. I still think Palace will stick another year with Hodgson, or go after Frank Lampard. 

Edited by TigerRoll - 04 Apr 2021 at 7:13pm
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 7:20pm
Also every report this week stated Howe would be announced Tuesday/Wednesday. Due to the LSE. I’d be relatively confident Howe is going to Glasgow. This has been a long time coming, reports of golfing trips with Lawwell, looking at apartments in Glasgow. And ultimately he will understand Celtic is a stepping stone to a top 6 club in England. Doing a grand job with Palace, won’t get him the Spurs or Arsenal job. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 8:18pm
@TigerRoll not sure what more the Celtic Board can do re Howe they've offered him the job apparently.

Its not a good sign if he is hesitating if reports are to be believed?

Not that I particularly want him as Celtic manager anyway for all his supporters the fact that his defensive record is questionable does not bode well.
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 8:45pm

@TigerRoll not sure what more the Celtic Board can do re Howe they've offered him the job apparently.

Not that I particularly want him as Celtic manager anyway for all his supporters the fact that his defensive record is questionable does not bode well.

Who else is there out there? 

I personally can’t understand why there’s an issue with his defensive record. He was playing attacking football v sides that were much much stronger. If he played football like Big Sam, Dyche would he be welcomed into Celtic? I'm not so sure.
I’d pay more attention to his record in the Championship when they were the strongest side. 

Edited by TigerRoll - 04 Apr 2021 at 8:47pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 8:53pm

Who else is there out there? 

I personally can’t understand why there’s an issue with his defensive record. He playing attacking football v sides that were much much stronger. I’d pay more attention to his record in the Championship when they were the strongest side. 

With the Celtic defence being poor this season a manager with a gung ho approach isn't ideal.
Been talking to a Bournemouth fan about Howe is his last season he wasn't impressed with the money he wasted which ultimately led to their relegation.
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 3:33pm
Klimala away to NYC FC apparently

Another superb Celtic signing, thanks again Neil, Pete & Dermot
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 12:05am
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Klimala away to NYC FC apparently

Another superb Celtic signing, thanks again Neil, Pete & Dermot

Going for free or are they getting 20 quid for him? 

There's a lot more should be following him 
Let Christy Take It.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 7:33am
Apparently the hold up in the Howe deal is Celtic agreeing compensation for Richard Hughes to join Celtic too?
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 10:40am

Sky Sports Scotland
@ScotlandSky
🟩BREAKING: Dominic McKay will leave Scottish Rugby on Friday April 16, around 11 weeks earlier than planned, to take up his new role as Celtic CEO
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 11:02am

Apparently the hold up in the Howe deal is Celtic agreeing compensation for Richard Hughes to join Celtic too?

What will also be interesting is the back room team he assembles. Jason Tindall has been his man since 2008, and It’s hard to suddenly see him changing course. Now out of work, I suspect Tindall will be in Glasgow. Outside of Tindal, Simon Weatherstone, Purches (First team coaches)  Neil Moss (GK Coach) , Dan Hodges (Head of sports science) and Steve Fletcher was his chief scout. They where all recruited, hired and worked under Howe for 5+ years. And with that one would expect Steve Cook as their first signing. 

I’ll assume they’re the names also on Howes wish list. Similar to Rodgers he’ll want his team around him, who know his style of play, personality and what’s expected of the players. Surely this is the time John Kennedy leaves. How has remained, is astounding. 

Edited by TigerRoll - 06 Apr 2021 at 11:04am
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 11:08am
"Surely this is the time John Kennedy leaves. How has remained, is astounding."

Really?
He has been Lawwells pet project ever since JFK was forced to retire

Scout
Youth coach
First team coach
Assistant manager
Caretaker

All the roles he has been in under Lawwell, make no mistake - the long term plan was for him to step in and replace Lenny (still might lol) under him but they completely fecked EVERYTHING this season

JFK is very well regarded by players and staff - Duff even said he is one of the best coaches he has ever worked with as player/coach

I wouldn't be surprised he was kept on - whether he would accept a lower capacity role is another factor

Strachan jr and his iPad can go take themselves to feck though, clown

Edited by tonyjaa - 06 Apr 2021 at 11:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17371738173917401741 1935>
  Share Topic