Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Celtic Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17231724172517261727 1933>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:40pm
Also Rodgers is now widely disliked by Celtic supporters because he walked out

Rodgers challenged the board and lost - and was then vilified for not accepting that and leaving when a better job came up

He was vilified for not doing what Lennon did

Damned if you do, damned if you don't
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:42pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:45pm
Trying to compare him to Smith, MON or McNeill shows you have little interest in this at all

This reply probably won't be seen, but can people not comment on this forum without contsantly throwing backhanded insults or making silly assumptions?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:55pm
The Dubai debacle was the lowest point in a season full of them, I never in a million years would have said he wasn't vilified before that, nor did I.

McNeill may have been seen as a puppet in '87, it certainly isn't my take on it, but others may, but his sole purpose during that time wasn't to deliberately deflect from mismanagement of the club. The club was certainly being mismanaged and it was clear that McNeill was trying his best in difficult circumstances and he left in the right way. I don't think he spent the season making excuses, blaming players or giving press conferences that made himself out to be the greatest football manager the world has seen either.

The PLC stuff certainly isn't an excuse, as can have been seen at every protest that has happened outside Celtic Park this season. The anger was directed at Desmond and Lawwell as much as Lennon. The reason the opinion of Lennon has changed is as much his compliance with them as the results. 

I also never said Rodgers wasn't vilified, nor would I ever in a million years say that, nor did I. It would be silly. It is now becoming clearer yhat why he left and when are down to the way the PLC ran Celtic and many Celtic supporters realise that now. 

If you want to think it is toys out of the pram stuff then fine. I can really only speak personally, but Dubai was the moment where the disconnect between the PLC and fans was irreconcilable. I think a lot of people are angry because of that disconnect, even if the anger is seemingly based on results. Like a lot of things in the world, people don't always put their finger on why they are angry at the start, so those that see they are angry, from a far away distance, assume it is the most obvious thing to them.

As for the 'Brexity' stuff...LOL I am afraid that's the sort of thing that leads people to stop taking you seriously.

Edited by pre Madonna - 25 Feb 2021 at 3:55pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Southstandman Southstandman wrote:

Has no one got a good word to say about this Celtic giant now fallen ?? . The one who stood in front of the hun and stared them down laughing at the savages. Who gave his all . Who loved his Hoops . Not one good word ????. Ok then . All the best to ya Lenny from a Dublin Hoop , hope life is good to ya from here on in . And if your ever in Dublin and the Rovers are kicking ball ?? mon up to Tallaght mate Thumbs Up . 

I have no "dog in the fight" as regards the job he was doing as manager.

But I must say I was shocked by the level of vituperation against the man from Celtic fans, much of it personal, in recent weeks.

Of course you can consider he's not up to the job and ask for him to be replaced etc, but surely it could be done in more measured tones? Instead we got people spitting out "disgrace", "shameful" and other epithets, plus the banners and demo's etc, which he surely didn't deserve.

In that respect I can discern no difference in their manners and behaviour from that of their bluenosed neighbours across the city, none at all.

(Fair play btw, to Southstandman for his post)

Edited by Territorial - 25 Feb 2021 at 4:06pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:07pm
Celtic fans don't dislike Lenny, it's the fact he should of never gotten it the 2nd time round.

He was appointed permanently on the basis that they won the league when they already top by miles under Rodgers, and they won the cup when they were already in the final, if that's the criteria needed to be a Celtic manager then I cannot actually think of a Manager who would of failed in that scenario.

Aside from the result against Lazio, which part of his 2nd reign will you remember? The part he got Celtic 15+ points behind Rangers. It was a bad bad appointment which should never of happened.

Edited by coyne - 25 Feb 2021 at 4:09pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I have said it before, but I think he will be the first Celtic manager not to be welcomed back as a fan, certainly in the short-term. That's one hell of an achievement, given his starting point.

You may be right.

But if so, imo that says a hell of a sight more about the "fans" taking in the Welcome Mat and shutting the door in his face, than it does about him.

Edited by Territorial - 25 Feb 2021 at 4:12pm
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:13pm
Make no mistake, John Kennedy's job to lose
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:24pm

I also never said Rodgers wasn't vilified, nor would I ever in a million years say that, nor did I. It would be silly. It is now becoming clearer yhat why he left and when are down to the way the PLC ran Celtic and many Celtic supporters realise that now. 

So if with the benefit of hindsight, fans can now accept that there was more going on behind the scenes with Rodgers, might it not also emerge in years to come that NL is also as much sinned against as sinning?

And that if Lawell was capable of manipulating so experienced a manager as BR, then how much harder will it have been for the less worldly-wise NL to deal with him?
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

So if with the benefit of hindsight, fans can now accept that there was more going on behind the scenes with Rodgers, might it not also emerge in years to come that NL is also as much sinned against as sinning?

And that if Lawell was capable of manipulating so experienced a manager as BR, then how much harder will it have been for the less worldly-wise NL to deal with him?

It was no secret why Rodgers left, it was the way he left. A midnight flit on the eve of an important game, whilst almost clearing the full back room staff, is why he was vilified. 

This wasnt Lennon's first rodeo with Lawell, he knew what he was getting into when he agreed to join the second time. 

I do feel that some player unrest was partly responsible for this dire season. Hopefully this can be disclosed.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Celtic fans don't dislike Lenny, it's the fact he should of never gotten it the 2nd time round.

It would have made absolute sense to have appointed one of the merry-go-round men from the PL, with the express brief to close out what BR started, and a healthy bonus at the end as a going away present. 

Edited by Het-field - 25 Feb 2021 at 4:38pm
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:46pm
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:48pm
Lennon already worked with Lawwell and he isn't an idiot. He knew the score. It was only after Rodgers left and the emotion had settled, that it became clear that there were two sides to the story. It is pretty clear that Rodgers agreed to an NDA, why would Celtic want that?
I cannot see how anything that could come out now would make Lennon's tenure be seen any differently. His arrogance and belligerence towards the fans can't be changed, regardless of what he feels will come to light.

It is definitely a strange time to be alive when a Norn Iron fan on an Irish football forum is making a derogatory comparison between Celtic and Rangers fans due to the abuse Lennon is getting from Celtic fans! Where on earth does that leave Norn Iron fans!?

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:53pm
You can't defend Rodgers, he's a certified mercenary, a good one but still a mercenary.

Whenever a bigger club comes knocking than the one he's currently at he's off before you can Whatsapp him. You can argue his choices have been vindicated considering where Leicester are now but you just know if ever an elite European club came knocking he's back to old tricks.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:58pm

It is definitely a strange time to be alive when a Norn Iron fan on an Irish football forum is making a derogatory comparison between Celtic and Rangers fans due to the abuse Lennon is getting from Celtic fans! Where on earth does that leave Norn Iron fans!?
I can only speak for myself.

I have sympathy for all that NL has had to endure, whether the abuse be coming from NI fans or Celtic fans. For while he has occasionally said or done things which weren't the wisest (who hasn't?), imo NONE of it justifies the hostility he's had to take, whether past or present.

Beyond that I have no greater - or lesser - regard for Rangers than I have for Celtic.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:11pm

You can't defend Rodgers, he's a certified mercenary, a good one but still a mercenary.

Whenever a bigger club comes knocking than the one he's currently at he's off before you can Whatsapp him. You can argue his choices have been vindicated considering where Leicester are now but you just know if ever an elite European club came knocking he's back to old tricks.
It isn't a defence of Rodgers as I never liked Rodgers as a man. He comes across as a creep! Leicester are only bigger in the sense that they have more money due to globalised nature of modern football, but I think how he left and why were as a result of the arguments he had with the board the previous summer.
You can say what you want about Rodgers but he is a good coach and a supremely confident one. I am certain that he felt he could improve Celtic in Europe while remaining domestically dominant and then have moved on to bigger and richer pastures, or at least have waited until that summer.
There's no one doubting that he will always  come first to Brendan Rodgers,  but the timing and manner, not mention the fact that he has always wanted to paint himself in a good light and didn't here, leads me to think there's more to it; especially in light of what has happened at Celtic since. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:51pm

He's no different to any other player, manager or person in the world! All players, managers, and people in general all a challenge and to play\manager at a higher level.

Rodgers brought Celtic as far as he could and won everything along the way. I've no issue at all with him leaving for Leicester, it was the way he went about it. He should have just waited the extra few month, but he didn't and it tarnished his legacy

Calling him a mercenary is a cheap shot to be fair.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:05pm
Clubs are quick enough to sack managers, so we can hardly be surprised when/if managers are equally quick to seize their chance in return.

And we can see with hindsight that thanks to their owner, Leicester offered much greater potential to BR than other apparently comparable mid-table clubs in the PL. (He was never going to get offered a genuinely "big" club at that stage).

So that if Leicester weren't prepared to wait until the end of season - v.likely imo - then Rodgers had to take his chance when he got it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17231724172517261727 1933>
  Share Topic