You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Celtic Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17221723172417251726 1935>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:35am
Rumours that Kennedy will be kept on at Celtic in the DOF role.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Rumours that Kennedy will be kept on at Celtic in the DOF role.

He's not qualified in any way shape or form for that role

JOBS HIS !!!!
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 12:49pm
We have to hope Kennedy doesn't go on a run of form or else he'll definitely be offered the job full time. I reckon he'll oversee a win against the huns and that could be what seals it for him. Am I being completely naive to think there will be war when the fans get back into Parkhead? I know we can count on some sort of statement from the GB but what about the rest? 
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Reillers88 Reillers88 wrote:

We have to hope Kennedy doesn't go on a run of form or else he'll definitely be offered the job full time. I reckon he'll oversee a win against the huns and that could be what seals it for him. Am I being completely naive to think there will be war when the fans get back into Parkhead? I know we can count on some sort of statement from the GB but what about the rest? 

For me. the protests kept him in a job. There was no way Desmond would bow to them protests and fire him.

The reality is we have 8 matches left, with 7 of them against the top 6, the other away against Dun Utd who sit 7th. Aberdeen, Hibs and Huns all away after the split. Hibs have won 4 of their last 5. 2nd place is far from secured.  I have zero trust in this squad of players, this season. 
Southstandman View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southstandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 6:54pm
Has no one got a good word to say about this Celtic giant now fallen ?? . The one who stood in front of the hun and stared them down laughing at the savages. Who gave his all . Who loved his Hoops . Not one good word ????. Ok then . All the best to ya Lenny from a Dublin Hoop , hope life is good to ya from here on in . And if your ever in Dublin and the Rovers are kicking ball ?? mon up to Tallaght mate Thumbs Up . 
We are Shamrock Rovers we"re Irelands number 1 .
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 7:47pm
Still a Celtic legend in my view.

I'd have preferred if he would have stepped down a lot earlier when things were going pear shaped. Then again, he would have been vilified for walking away.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:37pm
Some people have short memories. Look at Lenny's trophy haul both as a player and manager. Pretty awesome. The players, or quite a few of them anyway, came up short this season. Overhaul needed now, sure, but don't disrespect any man who has done what Lennon has for the club.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:34am
Lennon is 100% a Celtic legend, he wasn't up to the job in his second spell but c'est la vie, it's only football, I can't understand the personal vilification of him

This team didn't deserve 10 in a row anyway, it didn't deserve to have a record ahead of the '66-'74 team, most of its titles since 2012 have carried serious asterisks

And also this season has been coming a long time for Celtic, it's the kick up the hole the club thoroughly deserved and needed
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:15am
Rodgers on Scotland Today emphatically stating his belief Celtic "need a Director of Football, to bridge the gap between the manager and above... make sure players are signed". Aye Lawwell, ya c*"'t

Edited by tonyjaa - 25 Feb 2021 at 8:16am
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:27am
Spot on Horsebox Sid and Green Cockade yes this season has been a huge disappointment but people have short memories and need to remember what Lenny has achieved at Celtic.

The Lurgan man will always be a Celtic Legend to me and he doesn't deserve the vile abuse he has received from certain Celtic supporters on social media.

Edited by Double Maxim - 25 Feb 2021 at 8:28am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:53am
He has more than just tainted his legend status, his arrogance has blown it completely out of the water. I get that he may have wanted his pay-off, but putting his financial interests above the club(that's debatable these days!) was always going to come with consequences. It shouldn't need to said that the abuse he is getting is too much, but just as he was once a huge part of the connection between the club and the support he is now a huge part of the same disconnect.
Results are one thing, there are those who will point to Barcelona and Lazio in his two spells, but I would point to Utrecht, Cluj, Ferencvaros, Slavia Prague(twice), Ross County (twice) and so on. He has faced a strong Rangers team twice and came a distant second on both occasions. I can accept all of that though, as he just isn't a very good manager. The reason people are angry is the contempt he has shown for the fans all season and his complicity in the gross mismanagement of Celtic FC by a PLC that only cares about lining their own pockets.
The point where I lost any sympathy for him at all, and indeed a lot of my own connection to Celtic, was the Dubai debacle. His arrogance in dealing with that was absolutely disgusting, as was his complicity in going along with it. It was his breathtaking as his constant need to tell everyone that Celtic were playing well and that he would walk away if things went badly!

I genuinely hope he is alright. He was my favourite Celtic player and I spent a very enjoyable evening with him once and it was clear he is a good man, but he handed in his Celtic legend status over the past six months. I have said it before, but I think he will be the first Celtic manager not to be welcomed back as a fan, certainly in the short-term. That's one hell of an achievement, given his starting point.
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:02pm
I never rated Lennon as a player or a manager, but I had major respect for him for what he endured during his time with us. I defended him a lot this season as I think the players seriously let him down.

As PM says for every Barca or Lazio result there is another major embarrassing defeat. For me, blowing the league in 2011 is a massive blot on his reign which seems to get overlooked. The five seasons as manager (I'm excluding 09/10) he had Rangers as opposition, he has lost the league twice, won it once when Rangers imploded in 2012, once when he finished Rodgers job for the 8 and once last season when the season was curtailed early. It doesnt read well.

Everyone's classification of a legend is different. I personally have never classed Lennon a legend. A great servant, yes. As a player he overstayed his usefulness and he has done likewise this season as manager. He has to be thanked for steadying the ship and delivering 8 and 9. But his refusal to resign after 4-1 home to defeat to Sparta, has left his legacy in tatters. 

When the dust settles he will be fondly remembered, but as PM says he will be persona non grata amongst many of the faithful in the short term. I just hope these mitigating circumstances that he said cant be publicised, come to light.
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:13pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:09pm
I find this anti-Lennon stuff bizarre

Was Billy McNeill vilified when he was presiding over disastrous seasons in 89/90 and 90/91

Was Tommy Burns vilified for presiding over a Celtic team which couldn't stop nine in a row

Was Dr. Jo vilified for getting nowhere near winning the league in a season when Ranger won the treble

Was Martin O'Neill vilified for throwing away a league title in 2005

No, they weren't

But perhaps that was in a different, less nasty age when social media didn't confer a ridiculous self-entitlement complex on supporters, when supporters weren't perpetually miserable whingers

Strangely, the first to suffer from this social media entitlement complex of supporters at Celtic was Gordon Strachan, who won three titles in a row and nearly knocked out an AC Milan team which went on the win the 2007 Champions League, then beat them the following season

Celtic didn't win 10 in a row

So f**king what

10 in a row was such a pointless, parochial aspiration anyway

Walter Smith wasn't considered a pariah at Rangers when he didn't win 10 in a row, he was still considered a club legend - and he would be again

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:22pm
Dr Jo was never villified, but has never been called a Celtic legend either, nor even a successful Celtic manager
His greatest achievement was signing Moravcik

I agree with a lot of your other points there 

I also agree with the comment above that Lennon was never a “great” Celtic player 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 25 Feb 2021 at 3:23pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:25pm
This is different because it isn't just about results on the pitch or ten in a row, they are merely factors. There is a growing disconnect between the people that run the club and the fans and that disconnect has been growing for some time. It has become fairly clear for some time that Rodgers wanted to get out because of the board's lack of interest in progress. Just to be clear, I am well aware that he would have ended up back in the 'greed is good' league, but I don't think it would have happened in the manner it did. 
Lennon was then appointed because he wouldn't challenge the board like Rodgers had. He was a stooge and a puppet, which was just about acceptable when the team was doing alright, at least domestically as Cluj was an abomination that should have seen any manager at any similar sized outfit sacked.
Lennon has not just had a bad season as a manager, he has brazenly fronted up for the club on every single issue whole taking responsibility for nothing. His inability to accept the consequences for Dubai was beyond embarrassing, for him personally and Celtic as a whole. His constant arrogance towards the press and the fans, against all available logic, and refusal to do what he said he would and resign when it became beyond him, means he is being vilified.

Trying to compare him to Smith, MON or McNeill shows you have little interest in this at all and that you see this as solely about modern football fans sense of entitlement at not winning things, when it is far more about how a PLC that paid Peter Lawwell 3.6 million quid last year for mismanagement of a football club/franchise and Lennon's compliance in it.

For what it is worth, Strachan should be a club legend at Celtic, but he was never forgiven by a lot of the older mob for shouting "into these Fenian bastards" in front of the Jungle when playing for Aberdeen and by others who had been spoiled by the MON years and the players available to Celtic then.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Dr Jo was never villified, but has never been called a Celtic legend either, nor even a successful Celtic manager
His greatest achievement was signing Moravcik
I never said Dr. Jo was called a Celtic legend 

But he was popular and liked, and always referred to as "Dr. Jo" - not "Venglos"

Whereas Gordon Strachan is the only Celtic manager since Jock Stein to win three league titles in a row 

Yet he is fairly widely disliked, or at least not liked or at best viewed ambivalently by most Celtic supporters

Despite him objectively doing a very good job as manager 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

This is different because it isn't just about results on the pitch or ten in a row, they are merely factors. There is a growing disconnect between the people that run the club and the fans and that disconnect has been growing for some time. It has become fairly clear for some time that Rodgers wanted to get out because of the board's lack of interest in progress. Just to be clear, I am well aware that he would have ended up back in the 'greed is good' league, but I don't think it would have happened in the manner it did. 
Lennon was then appointed because he wouldn't challenge the board like Rodgers had. He was a stooge and a puppet, which was just about acceptable when the team was doing alright, at least domestically as Cluj was an abomination that should have seen any manager at any similar sized outfit sacked.
Lennon has not just had a bad season as a manager, he has brazenly fronted up for the club on every single issue whole taking responsibility for nothing. His inability to accept the consequences for Dubai was beyond embarrassing, for him personally and Celtic as a whole. His constant arrogance towards the press and the fans, against all available logic, and refusal to do what he said he would and resign when it became beyond him, means he is being vilified.

Trying to compare him to Smith, MON or McNeill shows you have little interest in this at all and that you see this as solely about modern football fans sense of entitlement at not winning things, when it is far more about how a PLC that paid Peter Lawwell 3.6 million quid last year for mismanagement of a football club/franchise and Lennon's compliance in it.

For what it is worth, Strachan should be a club legend at Celtic, but he was never forgiven by a lot of the older mob for shouting "into these Fenian bastards" in front of the Jungle when playing for Aberdeen and by others who had been spoiled by the MON years and the players available to Celtic then.
Billy McNeill was appointed in 1987 because he was effectively a puppet or a stooge for an unambitious board

After the 1989 Cup final, which was a bolt from the blue following a poor league season, the following two seasons were terrible - Celtic won 10 matches from 36 in 1989/90

Yet McNeill was then and will always be considered a legend

Dubai is an excuse - all this anti-Lennon stuff online was going on well before Dubai

The PLC stuff is an excuse 

Lennon hasn't been up to the job this time, but the carry on Celtic supporters online over the last while has been children throwing their toys out of the pram stuff

There's a terribly Brexity air to a lot of Celtic's online support these days, they seem perpetually miserable, cranky and cynical about everything, they sort of remind me of that Newcastle fan that punched the horse

Almost like winning uncompetitive league after uncompetitive league is deeply unfulfilling

Rangers winning this league is the best thing that could have happened Celtic

Edited by sid waddell - 25 Feb 2021 at 3:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17221723172417251726 1935>
  Share Topic