You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Celtic Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17561757175817591760 1928>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:20am
Have a feeling, based on nothing really, that he's going to do well. Likes to attack from what I've read
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:02am
Big job on his hands starting now. Ajer and Eduoard are likely to leave and Brown is away. That's the spine of the team gone
CSCD View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 5:37pm
The links begin!
Matt Ryan the Aussie goalie with a year left on his deal at Brighton has already been mentioned haha
Was Barkas that bad? I thought it was more a case that the defence in front of him were utter pish

I wouldn't be surprised if he re-signed Arzani from their Man City overlords again either
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 6:26pm
Barkas has been really poor. Was Matt Ryan on loan at Arsenal last season, or have a dreamt that up?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:35pm
The 3 Celtic keepers are not good enough.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:03pm
I don't understand the snobbery around appointing Roy Keane.

He got a middling Sunderland team promoted and established them in the Premier League. They've had 13 managers since and only 2 have surpassed his win %, and both did that in League 1.

As bad as his Ipswich reign was at the end, he had a better win % than 4 of his 5 successors, and the much lauded Mick's win % was scarcely better, as was the win % of his immediate predecessor.

Both teams are now in League 1.

Postecoglou's managerial experience equates to spells in charge of teams in piss-poor leagues and and a spell in charge of the Australian national team, who lost all 3 games in the 2014 World Cup

They won the 2015 Asian Cup by beating one good team after extra time.

As I said, don't get it. Keane has experience of managing for and against the standard of players Celtic have at club and international level. And he isn't any more or less experienced in terms of managing in CL or EL games.

Not opening the checkbook wouldn't be an issue either because Keane didn't sign world beaters at Ipswich and Sunderland. As Irish fans, we should appreciate this. He squeezed blood from a stone with a significant amount of, frankly, bog-standard Irish players who haven't pulled up any trees before or since.
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I don't understand the snobbery around appointing Roy Keane.

He got a middling Sunderland team promoted and established them in the Premier League. They've had 13 managers since and only 2 have surpassed his win %, and both did that in League 1.

As bad as his Ipswich reign was at the end, he had a better win % than 4 of his 5 successors, and the much lauded Mick's win % was scarcely better, as was the win % of his immediate predecessor.

Both teams are now in League 1.

Postecoglou's managerial experience equates to spells in charge of teams in piss-poor leagues and and a spell in charge of the Australian national team, who lost all 3 games in the 2014 World Cup

They won the 2015 Asian Cup by beating one good team after extra time.

As I said, don't get it. Keane has experience of managing for and against the standard of players Celtic have at club and international level. And he isn't any more or less experienced in terms of managing in CL or EL games.

Not opening the checkbook wouldn't be an issue either because Keane didn't sign world beaters at Ipswich and Sunderland. As Irish fans, we should appreciate this. He squeezed blood from a stone with a significant amount of, frankly, bog-standard Irish players who haven't pulled up any trees before or since.

Could be wrong but I thought Keane was heavily backed financially to get out of the Championship. 

I appreciate your other points, about him being too quickly dismissed as an option. However I think if hes to restore his reputation he needs to start looking at jobs in League 1 with ambitious clubs. 

I think the whole Ratsapp-gate seriously harmed him, when it looked like he had mellowed and become slightly more approachable, that came out. 
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:57am
Originally posted by CSCD CSCD wrote:

The links begin!
Matt Ryan the Aussie goalie with a year left on his deal at Brighton has already been mentioned haha
Was Barkas that bad? I thought it was more a case that the defence in front of him were utter pish

I wouldn't be surprised if he re-signed Arzani from their Man City overlords again either

Ange is Greek born himself
Wonder might he have some sympathy for Barkas and back him unlike the previous manager did?
I don't think now is the time for empathy tbh, is he your #1 or not?
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Barkas has been really poor. Was Matt Ryan on loan at Arsenal last season, or have a dreamt that up?

Yes he was on loan to the Gooners.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:41pm
Dont know much about Ryan but he cant be any worse than our last signing from Brighton.

Felt Barkas, whilst uninspiring got a bit of a raw deal last season. Dont recall him making any massive blunders but he seemed to be the first to get it before everyone realised the ones in front of him were horrendous. 
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Dont know much about Ryan but he cant be any worse than our last signing from Brighton.

Felt Barkas, whilst uninspiring got a bit of a raw deal last season. Dont recall him making any massive blunders but he seemed to be the first to get it before everyone realised the ones in front of him were horrendous. 

The only thing about Barkas was his total lack of presence - like we were all looking for someone of the stature of Forster, which in all reality we were never going to get. I still think we might have a player there though - for the money paid he'd want to impress next season though. 
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 9:26am
https://www.celticfc.com/fixtures/

Hearts away 31/7 @ 2000 to kick things off
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 3:14pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57480887

Lenny on a mission to burn every bridge behind him on the way out it seems. Can only hope he never gets within a mile of the Ireland setup.
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 10:40pm
Sviatchenko?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 12:21am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57480887

Lenny on a mission to burn every bridge behind him on the way out it seems. Can only hope he never gets within a mile of the Ireland setup.

I agree with a lot of what Lennon said in that interview 

PS - don’t get why people keep linking him with being an Ireland manager in the future 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 11:28am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Looks like the best draw we could have got. Galatasaray might not be the team they use to be but still best avoided. If we could advance it would give Ange a huge boost. 

Need some players in pronto. 
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 3:56pm
Istanbul reject the offer to sign Boli on a permanent

Fantastic news
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17561757175817591760 1928>
  Share Topic