Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Celtic Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12521253125412551256 1935>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 7:31am
Originally posted by rhodeboyblue rhodeboyblue wrote:

That last post from Territorial was one of the best posts I have read in a while. I haven't posted here in a while as I am sick to sh#t of the Rangers v Celtic negativity in these islands.
As a southern bear life is not easy and also being coi mem er does not help. I wish we could get back our differences being football rather than politics and religion. Here is a good article from belfast telegraph today. Would love the thoughts of celtic fans because I have left bars in limerick when this crap starts up as an excuse for music. Celtic and rangers have to move away from this culture. Thanks for reading.

Opinion: Michelle, how is it ‘respectful’ to taunt victims in rebel songs
By Nelson McCausland • 8 hours ago

Last Friday night, Linfield and Celtic met at Windsor Park. Celtic FC had turned down their allocation of tickets for the match and a number of bars in west Belfast showed the match on their premises on large screens for Celtic supporters.

One of these was the Rock Bar on the Falls Road, which describes itself as ‘Ireland’s Biggest Rebel Bar’ and ‘Belfast’s Home to Glasgow Celtic’.

As well as the match, the patrons were entertained by singers Gary Lawlor, Rising of the Moon and Damien Quinn in the upstairs bar and Gerry Og and Spirit of Freedom in the downstairs bar.

ADVERTISEMENT
Meanwhile, up at the Devenish Arms, the site of the Celtic fanzone, the entertainers were Damien Quinn, The Irish Brigade and Gary Lawlor.

They may not be household names around the world, but the singers are well-known to those with a love of ‘Irish republican culture’.

Damien, Gary and Gerry are all regulars at the weekly ‘Rebel Sunday’ in the Rock Bar and their performances are always appreciated by the enthusiastic patrons.

ADVERTISEMENT
Quinn has even written a song about ‘Rebel Sunday’ and one line explains that ‘Gerry Og and Damien Quinn sing the songs of the IRA’. Indeed they do. And they are not the only ones.

The ‘rebel music’ repertoire includes republican songs such as My Old Man’s A Provo, My Little Armalite and The IRA Will Set Them Free. The titles alone explain what ‘rebel music’ is about.

You might imagine that The SAM Song is about someone called Sam, but how wrong you would be. It is actually about the delight of an IRA terrorist when the IRA were able to acquire a surface-to-air missile (or SAM).

One of the most popular songs on the ‘rebel music’ scene has the lyrics: “Go on home, British soldiers, go on home/have you got no f****** homes of your own? F*** your Union Jack/we want our country back.”

Another popular rebel song has the title 18 Brits Were Blew To Bits and it is a celebration of IRA atrocities and murders.

These include the massacre of 18 soldiers near Warrenpoint, the murder of nine RUC officers in a mortar attack in Newry, the murder of Lord Mountbatten and the killings of Lord Justice Maurice Gibson and his wife, Lady Cecily.

It is a litany of death and yet customers dance to it and sing along, celebrating the IRA bombs and the slaughter.

At the Warrenpoint inquest, a doctor said he found dead and injured men, scattered limbs and decapitated bodies, but some people seem to think that these murders are a good subject for pumped-up, alcohol-fuelled entertainment.

Of course, such ‘rebel music’ is not limited to bars and clubs in west Belfast. The same songs can be heard any week of the year at many venues elsewhere in Northern Ireland, the Republic and some parts of Scotland.

There is a whole Irish rebel music scene and it is popular, but it is ugly, it is sectarian and it is poisonous.

Songs have the power to mould and motivate, so what sort of influence is there in songs such as these?

You may remember the Sinn Fein election posters demanding ‘respect’ and you may have heard Michelle O’Neill and other Sinn Fein politicians talking about the importance of “respect”.

So here is a question for Michelle O’Neill: where is the respect for the innocent victims of the IRA?

Where is the respect for the families of those who were so callously murdered by the IRA?

The ‘18 Brits’ were 18 young men and they had families, so where is the respect for those who still mourn the loss of their loved ones? The nine police officers had families too, so where is the respect for them?

If we are to build a shared and better future in Northern Ireland, then there are many issues that must be addressed.

And when that list of issues is being drawn up, then surely this dark underbelly of Irish culture has to be one of them?

LOL should have stopped reading when I got to "good article from Belfast telegraph" but definitely stopped reading when I seen it was written by that bigot McCausland.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 21 Jul 2017 at 7:32am
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 8:50am
I had no idea who Nelson McCausland was, so I googled him. This is from his wikipedia page. 

McCausland is of the belief that the people of the British Isles are descended from the lost tribes of Israel,[15] and has addressed events organised by the British-Israel-World Federation.[16][17]

LOL

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

That last post from Territorial was one of the best posts I have read in a while. I haven't posted here in a while as I am sick to sh#t of the Rangers v Celtic negativity in these islands.
As a southern bear life is not easy and also being coi mem er does not help. I wish we could get back our differences being football rather than politics and religion. Here is a good article from belfast telegraph today. Would love the thoughts of celtic fans because I have left bars in limerick when this crap starts up as an excuse for music. Celtic and rangers have to move away from this culture. Thanks for reading.

Last Friday night, Linfield and Celtic met at Windsor Park. Celtic FC had turned down their allocation of tickets for the match and a number of bars in west Belfast showed the match on their premises on large screens for Celtic supporters.

One of these was the Rock Bar on the Falls Road, which describes itself as ‘Ireland’s Biggest Rebel Bar’ and ‘Belfast’s Home to Glasgow Celtic’.

As well as the match, the patrons were entertained by singers Gary Lawlor, Rising of the Moon and Damien Quinn in the upstairs bar and Gerry Og and Spirit of Freedom in the downstairs bar.

ADVERTISEMENT
Meanwhile, up at the Devenish Arms, the site of the Celtic fanzone, the entertainers were Damien Quinn, The Irish Brigade and Gary Lawlor.

They may not be household names around the world, but the singers are well-known to those with a love of ‘Irish republican culture’.

Damien, Gary and Gerry are all regulars at the weekly ‘Rebel Sunday’ in the Rock Bar and their performances are always appreciated by the enthusiastic patrons.

ADVERTISEMENT
Quinn has even written a song about ‘Rebel Sunday’ and one line explains that ‘Gerry Og and Damien Quinn sing the songs of the IRA’. Indeed they do. And they are not the only ones.

The ‘rebel music’ repertoire includes republican songs such as My Old Man’s A Provo, My Little Armalite and The IRA Will Set Them Free. The titles alone explain what ‘rebel music’ is about.

You might imagine that The SAM Song is about someone called Sam, but how wrong you would be. It is actually about the delight of an IRA terrorist when the IRA were able to acquire a surface-to-air missile (or SAM).

One of the most popular songs on the ‘rebel music’ scene has the lyrics: “Go on home, British soldiers, go on home/have you got no f****** homes of your own? F*** your Union Jack/we want our country back.”

Another popular rebel song has the title 18 Brits Were Blew To Bits and it is a celebration of IRA atrocities and murders.

These include the massacre of 18 soldiers near Warrenpoint, the murder of nine RUC officers in a mortar attack in Newry, the murder of Lord Mountbatten and the killings of Lord Justice Maurice Gibson and his wife, Lady Cecily.

It is a litany of death and yet customers dance to it and sing along, celebrating the IRA bombs and the slaughter.

At the Warrenpoint inquest, a doctor said he found dead and injured men, scattered limbs and decapitated bodies, but some people seem to think that these murders are a good subject for pumped-up, alcohol-fuelled entertainment.

Of course, such ‘rebel music’ is not limited to bars and clubs in west Belfast. The same songs can be heard any week of the year at many venues elsewhere in Northern Ireland, the Republic and some parts of Scotland.

There is a whole Irish rebel music scene and it is popular, but it is ugly, it is sectarian and it is poisonous.

Songs have the power to mould and motivate, so what sort of influence is there in songs such as these?

You may remember the Sinn Fein election posters demanding ‘respect’ and you may have heard Michelle O’Neill and other Sinn Fein politicians talking about the importance of “respect”.

So here is a question for Michelle O’Neill: where is the respect for the innocent victims of the IRA?

Where is the respect for the families of those who were so callously murdered by the IRA?

The ‘18 Brits’ were 18 young men and they had families, so where is the respect for those who still mourn the loss of their loved ones? The nine police officers had families too, so where is the respect for them?

If we are to build a shared and better future in Northern Ireland, then there are many issues that must be addressed.

And when that list of issues is being drawn up, then surely this dark underbelly of Irish culture has to be one of them?

LOL should have stopped reading when I got to "good article from Belfast telegraph" but definitely stopped reading when I seen it was written by that bigot McCausland.

just because the author is McCausland who quite frankly is a godsend to irish nationalism doesn't make his point any less valid.

Can you please address the underlining theme ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 9:16am

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Very balanced article..... I'd imagine the families of the bereaved would prefer young lads singing their songs after a skinful rather than repeating the actions that some of songs glorify.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 10:15am
'There is a whole Irish rebel music scene and it is popular, but it is ugly, it is sectarian and it is poisonous.'

I'd disagree strongly with that and i dont think the article is balenced at all. Its seems to insinuate that all irish folk/ rebel songs are sectarian in nature, as are thosw who enjoy them, which is garbage. (We've adopted a rebel song as our national anthem lets not forget) It's more accurate to say that there has been a significant increase in militant 'rebel' songs that have been written about the provos and the troubles (including all the ones referenced by the Admiral). But these obviously are obviously more prevalent in the republican hot beds in the black north then anywhere else(all though not exclusively, the state of someone writing a 'Ballad of Alan Ryan')

I think we can differentiate these songs from those recorded by the Dubliners, Christy Moore, etc etc which tend to focus more on the historical aspects of the republican movement (foggy dew, the ballad of james larkin, Athenry ect)
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
manchesterbhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manchesterbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 10:34am

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

can beat an offended bluenose when they partake in the following:

sash bash on paisley road west on wednesday - glorifying UDA UVF etc

loyalist flute bands at windsor park when glasgow and belfast cousins meet 

the hypocrites glorifying child abuse - lest we forget kincora, gordon neilly and others

UVF banners at ibrokes 

oldco players in UVF uniform and flag bearing

and finally the bonfires you call culture 

people in glass houses..............
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by manchesterbhoy manchesterbhoy wrote:

can beat an offended bluenose when they partake in the following:

sash bash on paisley road west on wednesday - glorifying UDA UVF etc

loyalist flute bands at windsor park when glasgow and belfast cousins meet 

the hypocrites glorifying child abuse - lest we forget kincora, gordon neilly and others

UVF banners at ibrokes 

oldco players in UVF uniform and flag bearing

and finally the bonfires you call culture 

people in glass houses..............

'celtic fan in complete inability to see another point of view shocker'

not to mention the failure to address the point and the whataboutery for good measure
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sunderlad View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunderlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:47pm
Frank McAvennie do now on the Sat before the Sunderland game in Sunderland in the city centre due to a large no of requests at fiver a ticket from  http://www.hawaymagazine.co.uk/store - http://www.hawaymagazine.co.uk/store
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 1:26pm
Premier Sports are showing the second leg of the Rosenborg tie.

Edited by Double Maxim - 21 Jul 2017 at 1:27pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 6:11pm
Club closing the safe standing area over the displays against Hearts and Linfield.

Izzy has been unveiled in Saudi Arabia.Cry
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 2:28pm
Class banners and display by the Green Brigade against Linfield
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 2:58pm
Green Brigade's statement on it was interesting. If they left the politics out of football no one would bat an eye-lid, I don't even think they'd be interested in the pyro's used against Hearts if it hadn't used the tifo against Linfield.
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 4:15pm
Great Brigade banned for 2 home games

Rosenborg & Hearts
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 4:52pm
Some twitter rumblings that Rodgers was less then impressed with the banners to say the least
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Some twitter rumblings that Rodgers was less then impressed with the banners to say the least
Not sure how true or not that is, but Brendan would be best advised to keep his own counsel on this situation and not to air any feelings about the fans display in public
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Not sure how true or not that is, but Brendan would be best advised to keep his own counsel on this situation and not to air any feelings about the fans display in public

Censorship Mmm an interesting concept
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Censorship Mmm an interesting concept
Mmmmm call it what you will Newry republican, but Brendan would be well advised to let the club do all the talking about the fans behaviour and not get himself involved in this
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 6:50pm

I would imagine his own personal feelings are unlikely to be known, if he is asked a question from the press he will mix avoidance with distancing himself from anything political. 
Media training 101 covered it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12521253125412551256 1935>
  Share Topic