Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 209210211212213 220>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What's the point in picking a 35 year old in a competition we are out of though? I can't understand the thinking at all. 

No logic to it whatsoever. Sure he'll be 36 by the time the Euro qualfiers come around ffs

Edited by Denis Irwin - 05 Apr 2021 at 6:12pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:22pm

What's the point in picking a 35 year old in a competition we are out of though? I can't understand the thinking at all. 

Because he's my favourite Irish player and I love the little bastard that's why!! 

Pisstake aside, we need to take our seedings into account and consolidate 3rd place. We might need to revert back to some of the experienced players and maybe some pragmatism in order to have as strong a finish to the group as possible as it's going to affect Kenny's own position and our EURO 2024 qualification seedings. 

There has to be some balance between Kenny is trying to do and to be relatively competitive at the same time. 

At the moment I don't see Ireland finishing in 3rd place and Kenny is probably going to get the bullet if we finish behind Luxembourg so needs must and McGeady should be in the final 23 squad for the September games. The short term in this case has to take priority imo for Kenny's sake as much as Ireland's if he wants to stay in the job. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:30pm
We need try and develop a team and a style of play, that's of far more importance than the seeding, especially as there's a good chance of losing that anyway. We have to lose this mentality of picking players who aren't going to develop. It's regressive and sends out the wrong signal to the team.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:49pm

We need try and develop a team and a style of play, that's of far more importance than the seeding, especially as there's a good chance of losing that anyway. We have to lose this mentality of picking players who aren't going to develop. It's regressive and sends out the wrong signal to the team.

I understand that point but I don't think we need to necessarily incinerate everything in the short term (like the next few qualification campaigns) in the hope that we benefit in the long term. I think there needs to be a balance between both our short term and long term aims.  

I think we can do both by having some of our experienced players and our players that are still developing in squads so there's a healthy balance between short term pragmatism (being competitive) and long term idealism (fundamental change to our style of play). 

It shouldn't be one or the other imo.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:56pm
Could he be arssed returning though? What's in it for him? There's no tournament. It would just be bragging rights that he can still make it as an international at 35. Albeit with the caveat that he's being promoted due to poor standards that he's up against. 

I'd say he's happy out in League 1. End on a high, rather than potentially stinking out the international scene again.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I understand that point but I don't think we need to necessarily incinerate everything in the short term (like the next few qualification campaigns) in the hope that we benefit in the long term. I think there needs to be a balance between both our short term and long term aims.  

I think we can do both by having some of our experienced players and our players that are still developing in squads so there's a healthy balance between short term pragmatism (being competitive) and long term idealism (fundamental change to our style of play). 

This isn't 'incinerating' anything. He is 35 and playing in the third tier of English football. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:45pm
We're just so starved of any footballing joy at the moment, it's understandable that even a 35 year old in league 1 causes debate. 

It's undeniably sad that we've reached this point. Arms out, asking for a hug.... from anyone. Desperation is never an attractive trait. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:47pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

This isn't 'incinerating' anything. He is 35 and playing in the third tier of English football. 

I'm not talking about McGeady specifically in regards to that. I'm making the point that we don't throw everything out the window including our experienced players in the hope that we benefit at some point in the long term.  

In regards to McGeady, he's playing regularly, hasn't retired and would be a useful option to the squad for this campaign.

If Kenny has any designs on keeping his job by finishing the group in as strong a position as possible, then he should select McGeady for the September games. He should've selected him for the March sqaud as far as I'm concerned. 

Edited by irishmufc - 05 Apr 2021 at 7:48pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 8:23pm
It didn't take a genius to work out that McGeady should have been in the squad in March, myself and other posters mentioned that he's exactly the kind of player you'd want to have on the bench if you found yourself needing a goal in the second half against Luxembourg - it was made even more obvious with the way the games turned out.

If Kenny retains any notion of keeping his job beyond the autumn he needs to get his best available players in the squad, regardless of age. Anything below third in the group will result in his sacking, to be honest I'd sack him now because he has been an absolute disaster from the off, but he has a responsibility either way to get the highest place finish possible to give the next manager a fighting chance of getting us to the 2024 Euros.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 11:10am
I think if we continue with this attitude of getting our best players on the pitch and every game being vital we will end up being fifth or sixth seeds anyway, regardless of who is in charge.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It didn't take a genius to work out that McGeady should have been in the squad in March, myself and other posters mentioned that he's exactly the kind of player you'd want to have on the bench if you found yourself needing a goal in the second half against Luxembourg - it was made even more obvious with the way the games turned out.

If Kenny retains any notion of keeping his job beyond the autumn he needs to get his best available players in the squad, regardless of age. Anything below third in the group will result in his sacking, to be honest I'd sack him now because he has been an absolute disaster from the off, but he has a responsibility either way to get the highest place finish possible to give the next manager a fighting chance of getting us to the 2024 Euros.

This.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 3:19pm
Have a read of the Scott Hogan and Seanie Maguire threads. Then read the McLean and James McCarthy threads. Read them all BEFORE they had played a game for Ireland. 

Notice when they are not playing that they are the ANSWER to Ireland's problems. When they do actually start playing, they BECOME the problem, and they need to be replaced with whomever isn't included in the current squads. In this case it's a 35 year old League 1 player with 80+ caps.  

It would damage this forums' reputation
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 3:21pm
Haha lightening strikes have a look at the Cyrus Christie thread. 

Doherty was the one not playing and he was the answer, he has started playing games and now he needs to be replaced 

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Haha lightening strikes have a look at the Cyrus Christie thread. 

Doherty was the one not playing and he was the answer, he has started playing games and now he needs to be replaced 

Well, he needs to earn his spot and he’s been pretty terrible. Please note that I wasn’t pushing for Doherty ahead of Coleman, but I do think we need to reward form.

Your observation on the forum is a good one, though. If you want a good laugh, head to one of the random back pages and read threads from 2007 about how we should drop Robbie Keane and Paul McShane injury panic.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 3:54pm
Yeah Declan your posts in the Cyrus thread are a bit different. I also think Christie played well v Qatar. 

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 5:29pm

Yeah Declan your posts in the Cyrus thread are a bit different. I also think Christie played well v Qatar. 

Well if you think that then you didnt watch the game properly. Nobody could come to that conclusion.
I love beer gardens
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 5:59pm
I really don't know how age is an issue how many players like him keep playing on till late 30s mcgeady has grown up in a culture of sports science from a young age obviously still loves the game.
What age is the cut off point?
Should Coleman have been in the squad if he might not be here in 2024
For that last international break mcgeady would have been a good option off the bench in all 3 games if he wanted results 
You can't argue otherwise in terms of getting results 
He probably won't be in as good as form for international window but if he is select him
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 6:04pm

Have a read of the Scott Hogan and Seanie Maguire threads. Then read the McLean and James McCarthy threads. Read them all BEFORE they had played a game for Ireland. 

Notice when they are not playing that they are the ANSWER to Ireland's problems. When they do actually start playing, they BECOME the problem, and they need to be replaced with whomever isn't included in the current squads. In this case it's a 35 year old League 1 player with 80+ caps.  

That's been a recurring theme I've noticed on this forum with other senior players ie absence makes the heart grow fonder. 

If they're unavailable for us, there are lads on here moaning about how much they're missed. Then, when they do play, lads are on here saying they're sh*te and they should never play for Ireland again. LOL

Edited by ConorMac77 - 06 Apr 2021 at 6:05pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 209210211212213 220>
  Share Topic