Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202203204205206 220>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Some positive fans comments about Aido here as well as his assists below.

The one thing that stands out is the amount of players Sunderland have in the box.

Ireland simply do not commit players forward in that manner.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:27am
I think the big thing for me is " when he is on his game " that's the one which comes back to kill you .

You want players to do as much as they can not someone who turns up every now and then ..

Sorry but i think his race has been run .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:36am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Some positive fans comments about Aido here as well as his assists below.

The one thing that stands out is the amount of players Sunderland have in the box.

Ireland simply do not commit players forward in that manner.

Sunderland didn't until recently when Lee Johnson took over.

LJ constantly praises Aido and has selected him in every league starting line up since he became manager.

What they didn't show on the video was the ball AM played through to Gooch to put him on a one to one with the keeper.

The pass of the game.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Is this not a bit of a case of "the less he plays, the better he gets". Andy Reid, Wes Hoolahan etc. Its great that he has hit a bit of form, but surely in the spirit of the rebuild going back to him, with a view to hopefully ensuring results would be a regressive, and a short term step, which would be akin to the MM era? 

Also, I think given what has happened in the past five years (not least that Kenny, and MM didn't select him, and in 2018 MON didn't have him participate in his attempt at a rebuild), and the decline from PL player to League 1 player, there is genuine questions as to whether he would be an impact player against a Serbia or Portugal (we've got much bigger problems if we need older players to get results in Luxembourg or Azerbaijan). Is it not like Wales looking to Joe Ledley, or Scotland looking to Charlie Adam? In spite of everything, McClean has shown significantly more as an impact player (either off the bench or starting) since Euro 2016, either with goals or assists. The only difference being his ability to run consistently with the ball at feet, which McGeady does have. The difficulty is, that if the end product is inconsistent, its skill for the sake of skill. And as an alternative, I would also see Brady as having more of an ability to create something. I feel, when watching him from Burnley he has a one track direction towards goal which has its merits. Robinson is likely to hold that wide right position too, even as part of a 4-3-3. Out left Connolly has decent feet and speed, not a distance from McGeady.

I understand why there might be calls right now, and there is something of a debate to be had. Although not entirely four square, due to necessity, age and level, Glenn Whelan certainly had decent moments during the last Euro campaign, and there is no reason why McGeady wouldn't also. Like Whelan he has never stropped and retired, and when selected was always available. However, when we look a bit deeper, I think we do have options in this positions, and focussing on Horgan or O'Dowda overlooks the options that would be picked, with a full squad available.

We've got major problems selection-wise. We don't know who our most appropriate selection for keeper is, we don't know who our best striker is, our two key players (Coleman and Doherty) are struggling at club level, our most recent captain has had an exceptionally disappointing season at Celtic. Our traditional left-wing back has suffered from injury, one of our most selected CM's had to drop a division to get games. But these are problems that are beyond our wide men in the midfield-forward area.

I would agree with you here Het-Field. My post would be based on lads laughing at the idea of a call up and when you can compare players in his positions form for their clubs, then it's actually not laughable. 

I don't think Kenny will be selecting him in our future squads and would be more likely to pick a player he has worked with from the under 21s 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 5:36pm
Pick your in form players that fit the system being played, simple as.

McGeady is one of them at the moment.

So what if he is 34/35 and playing in League One.

There aren't many alternatives either currently playing in his position or coming through at underage, its a bit of a problem position.

During the last International window Curtis and Horgan played there and weren't up to a whole lot, both are playing at a similar / the same level as McGeady.

O'Dowda wasnt much better when he was fit and playing there before them.

Then Brady and Robinson shoe horned in there werent any better either.

The delivery of his assists on the weekend were inch perfect, along with his ability to beat his man before them. If we're looking for someone to influence a game that can put a cross in like that, Id have him in the squad no question.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 7:45pm

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Embarrassed

For somebody that works in coaching at underage levels or at least has told us enough times that he has, could you not see that a rare, naturally skilful player like McGeady in form would deserve at least a call up to the extended Irish squad if not the final 23? 
He’s had 90 odd caps to prove what he can do and he didnt do it.
He did prove it. 

He proved it to the manager(s) he was playing for, which is why he has 90 caps.
So those managers were right ?

How many of them got sacked ?

The Celtic love in is unreal on here.

McGeady scored ONE goal in his whole life in the EPL.

Worst player to get (almost) 100 caps for Ireland, by a country mile.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 7:55pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Embarrassed

For somebody that works in coaching at underage levels or at least has told us enough times that he has, could you not see that a rare, naturally skilful player like McGeady in form would deserve at least a call up to the extended Irish squad if not the final 23? 
He’s had 90 odd caps to prove what he can do and he didnt do it.
He did prove it. 

He proved it to the manager(s) he was playing for, which is why he has 90 caps.
So those managers were right ?

How many of them got sacked ?

The Celtic love in is unreal on here.

McGeady scored ONE goal in his whole life in the EPL.

Worst player to get (almost) 100 caps for Ireland, by a country mile.

Those managers picked the best players they believed to be available to them at that particular time. 
Just because YOU don't rate him, doesn't make them wrong.

All managers get sacked ffs. How many managers in the last 10 years didn't get sacked? very few I would imagine.

He hardly ever played in the EPL either!

POTY at 3 different clubs. Did very well Russia too. When you break it down, he has done very well at every club he played except for Everton over the course of 16+ years.

His achievements belittle your argument.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:17pm
POTY at what clubs in what leagues ?

He was at Everton for 3 years (i think).

But yes my opinion, never rated him.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:23pm
Its a shame that he didnt try the EPL instead of Moscow back in 2010. Pot fulls of swag maybe but largely uneventful, no silverware and far too out of sight. 

Horse will defend him til kingdom come but i am confident that absolutely everybody bar him would agree that he underachieved. 

He followed the money and fair play to him but chose some bad moves imo.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:24pm

Did you celebrate his goals against Georgia? Genuine question as I have a mate who has the same hate for him as you and I clearly remember him refusing to celebrate.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:27pm

Celtic, Preston and Sunderland.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Its a shame that he didnt try the EPL instead of Moscow back in 2010. Pot fulls of swag maybe but largely uneventful, no silverware and far too out of sight. 

Horse will defend him til kingdom come but i am confident that absolutely everybody bar him would agree that he underachieved. 

I respond when I see something that is incorrect. Just like what you've said above. 

He's played in the CL and EL with 2 different clubs. 4 league titles, and 2 cups with Celtic.

Strachan was forcing him out of Celtic, Moscow put in a bid,  he spoke to Garry O'Connor (playing for Lokomotiv) and he advised to go, he went over, had a look and said why not.

He probably could have went to the EPL, but I'm not sure any club were in for him at that time, or would match the Moscow bid, and he would have still made a fortune there. 

Again, players are getting criticized for NOT going abroad, he goes to Russia and he's accusing of taking money and taking the easy option.

He has discussed this in the podcasts numerous times. Well worth a listen to be fair.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:53pm

I respond when I see something that is incorrect. Just like what you've said above. 

He's played in the CL and EL with 2 different clubs. 4 league titles, and 2 cups with Celtic.

Strachan was forcing him out of Celtic, Moscow put in a bid,  he spoke to Garry O'Connor (playing for Lokomotiv) and he advised to go, he went over, had a look and said why not.

He probably could have went to the EPL, but I'm not sure any club were in for him at that time, or would match the Moscow bid, and he would have still made a fortune there. 

Again, players are getting criticized for NOT going abroad, he goes to Russia and he's accusing of taking money and taking the easy option.

He has discussed this in the podcasts numerous times. Well worth a listen to be fair.

Not sure anybody sure have taken his advice in fairness. 

Plus, i said nothing about easy option. Strachan's agenda aside, i am sure there were EPL sides interested and would have offered a better career move than a 4 year stint in Russia where his work was largely unnoticed outside of moscow.  
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Did you celebrate his goals against Georgia? Genuine question as I have a mate who has the same hate for him as you and I clearly remember him refusing to celebrate.

It’s the same with Whelan who got 90+ caps
Hendrick with his 50+ caps etc

Some people just hate certain players and think they have been getting too many caps and poor Paddy Iniesta was left out of the squad.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 9:14pm
Also I’m sure he has the most assists for Ireland in the last 20 years... 10+
Irish Abroad can prob confirm.

I’m not a Celtic fan and McGeady always annoyed me as he tried to beat his man over and over but he did offer us something different. 

Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 9:41pm

Not sure anybody sure have taken his advice in fairness. 

Plus, i said nothing about easy option. Strachan's agenda aside, i am sure there were EPL sides interested and would have offered a better career move than a 4 year stint in Russia where his work was largely unnoticed outside of moscow.  

McGeady left at the start of Neil Lennons first stint. The club recieved a £12m bid and accepted it. In mcgeadys words no english club matched it and he ultimatley decided to go with Spartak Moscow. All good saying he should have went to Epl but he was sold by Celtic who wanted the money and not exactly an english offer on the table.

He talks about it in the open goal podcast. The russian league at the time was crazy good dont forget. Zenit were splashing the cash on Hulk etc. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 10:02pm
It’s genuinely got to the stage if Mcgeady got a run I’d shrug my shoulders and say look why not. 

This time last autumn I’d have been incensed by the mention of him playing. Nothing personal just moving on etc. 

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 10:08pm
The fact we're even considering McGeady is symptomatic of larger issues. We've been having these conversations about his potential for over a decade but we're always left underwhelmed in post-match discourse, save for the very rare occasion.

If he came in against Serbia and produced something special it would be one of the great comeback stories in Irish football, but I can't see it happening TBH.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202203204205206 220>
  Share Topic