You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 220>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

From what I remember in the media before the Russia away game in 2011, the Russians seen him as the biggest threat. I'm open to correction on this Thumbs Up

Obviously it's 10 years later and McGeady has gone off the radar in terms of the national team.

I genuinely think McGeady would be an excellent 20 minute sub depending how the game is going in Belgrade. 

I think the Serbian defensive players would be more fearful of McGeady as opposed McClean on that left flank cutting in. 

McGeady hasn't retired. Hopefully Kenny calls both him and McGoldrick  (if it's a goer)back up. 

It isnt a bad shout. I would have him in before O'Dowda and Horgan tbh. 
Sponsored Links

Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

From what I remember in the media before the Russia away game in 2011, the Russians seen him as the biggest threat. I'm open to correction on this Thumbs Up

Obviously it's 10 years later and McGeady has gone off the radar in terms of the national team.

I genuinely think McGeady would be an excellent 20 minute sub depending how the game is going in Belgrade. 

I think the Serbian defensive players would be more fearful of McGeady as opposed McClean on that left flank cutting in. 

McGeady hasn't retired. Hopefully Kenny calls both him and McGoldrick  (if it's a goer)back up. 

It isnt a bad shout. I would have him in before O'Dowda and Horgan tbh. 

Definitely . Mcgeady had the ability to be a match winner. Neither of them lads do 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 10:26pm
if he gets his performance levels to anything close to what he was 5 or 6 years ago then of course he should be considered. I doubt he has that in him though at his age
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

if he gets his performance levels to anything close to what he was 5 or 6 years ago then of course he should be considered. I doubt he has that in him though at his age

Suggesting he be considered is not off the wall at all, our wide options are absolutely dreadful and have been for a while, particularly on the right.

He is doing enough to be ahead of O'Dowda, Horgan and Curtis so I'd have no issue with having him in the squad.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 10:30pm

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Embarrassed

For somebody that works in coaching at underage levels or at least has told us enough times that he has, could you not see that a rare, naturally skilful player like McGeady in form would deserve at least a call up to the extended Irish squad if not the final 23? 
He’s had 90 odd caps to prove what he can do and he didnt do it.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 11:20pm
The writing off Horgan is actually serious cringe. The lad’s somewhat turned into a bit of a workhorse at Wycombe and was our only good thing at out sh*tshow against England.

Just because he’s not scoring goals week in week out doesn’t mean he’s doing f**k all. He’s doing extremely well at Wycombe atm, who are probably overachieving by having 19 points the overall team is that bad, I was thinking they’d be lucky to get double digits but the players including Horgan are putting graft in so that they’re not humiliated every week.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

The writing off Horgan is actually serious cringe. The lad’s somewhat turned into a bit of a workhorse at Wycombe and was our only good thing at out sh*tshow against England.

Just because he’s not scoring goals week in week out doesn’t mean he’s doing f**k all. He’s doing extremely well at Wycombe atm, who are probably overachieving by having 19 points the overall team is that bad, I was thinking they’d be lucky to get double digits but the players including Horgan are putting graft in so that they’re not humiliated every week.

Workhorse?????.....f**k that....mc Geadys a better player than Horgan,and could actually create something rather than run around like a tick creating f**k all.

hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Workhorse?????.....f**k that....mc Geadys a better player than Horgan,and could actually create something rather than run around like a tick creating f**k all.

Confused
You have to have the ball to create chances, funnily enough.

Horgan is playing in the team where the entire game plan rests on their goalkeeper boots it close to their box and hope someone gets on the end of it, not exactly wing play possession. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 11:43pm
If Horgan is our bright spark we really are in the worst position in my lifetime 
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 11:46pm

Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Confused
You have to have the ball to create chances, funnily enough.

Horgan is playing in the team where the entire game plan rests on their goalkeeper boots it close to their box and hope someone gets on the end of it, not exactly wing play possession. 

Here’s one for you....your the manager...there’s 25mins left and your 1-0 down....you’ve Horgan and mc Geady on the bench...who do you bring on???I certainly know who’d I’d bring on.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
familyguy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 3:30am
for what it’s worth and having seen him umteen times in the championship and league one he’s close unmarkable when he’s on his game and clued in  ........can he still do it at international level,yeah I actually think he can to be honest 
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 4:14am
McGeady created 4 goals at the weekend. The man is a wizard and has guile our wide options could only dream of having.

Granted most of his goals for us came against lesser opposition, eg Gerogia away. One of his best displays and helped us qualify for Euro 2016 in the grand scheme of things. He struggled Martinez to get regular football and he went on loan to Wednesday. 

I honestly thought he should have been called back up a couple years ago when he got into form with sunderland in league one. If we are struggling to break down a azerbaijan/luxembourg, he would definitely be one which you could throw on for a go.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 6:36am
In his last 6 games he has 1 goal and 7 assists.
I know it’s league 1 and he is 34 but we really are in desperate times.

If he continues that form he should be considered for the squad. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 9:25am

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Embarrassed

For somebody that works in coaching at underage levels or at least has told us enough times that he has, could you not see that a rare, naturally skilful player like McGeady in form would deserve at least a call up to the extended Irish squad if not the final 23? 
He’s had 90 odd caps to prove what he can do and he didnt do it.

He did prove it. 

He proved it to the manager(s) he was playing for, which is why he has 90 caps.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 10:33am
Go through our main 25 players and how they are performing and calling up McGeady isn't such a strange one. Jeff Hendrick has been our best midfielder in the Premiership and he has been poor. Most of our strikers have 2-3 goals at best. 

This squad at club level is by far and away the worst I can ever remember. If a defender plays 90 minutes and falls over and scores an og that is considered a good week because they actually started a game. 

It's depressingly bad. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 10:42am
Some positive fans comments about Aido here as well as his assists below.

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Go through our main 25 players and how they are performing and calling up McGeady isn't such a strange one. Jeff Hendrick has been our best midfielder in the Premiership and he has been poor. Most of our strikers have 2-3 goals at best. 

This squad at club level is by far and away the worst I can ever remember. If a defender plays 90 minutes and falls over and scores an og that is considered a good week because they actually started a game. 

It's depressingly bad. 

Its where we are at the moment, you mentioned a defender but it's all over the pitch. Look at Kelleher for example.

Robinson sits on the bench more often than not for a team thats pretty much relegated but its a premier league bench so needs to start for us.

Still won't stop people saying Kenny needs to beat Serbia.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 10:46am
Is this not a bit of a case of "the less he plays, the better he gets". Andy Reid, Wes Hoolahan etc. Its great that he has hit a bit of form, but surely in the spirit of the rebuild going back to him, with a view to hopefully ensuring results would be a regressive, and a short term step, which would be akin to the MM era? 

Also, I think given what has happened in the past five years (not least that Kenny, and MM didn't select him, and in 2018 MON didn't have him participate in his attempt at a rebuild), and the decline from PL player to League 1 player, there is genuine questions as to whether he would be an impact player against a Serbia or Portugal (we've got much bigger problems if we need older players to get results in Luxembourg or Azerbaijan). Is it not like Wales looking to Joe Ledley, or Scotland looking to Charlie Adam? In spite of everything, McClean has shown significantly more as an impact player (either off the bench or starting) since Euro 2016, either with goals or assists. The only difference being his ability to run consistently with the ball at feet, which McGeady does have. The difficulty is, that if the end product is inconsistent, its skill for the sake of skill. And as an alternative, I would also see Brady as having more of an ability to create something. I feel, when watching him from Burnley he has a one track direction towards goal which has its merits. Robinson is likely to hold that wide right position too, even as part of a 4-3-3. Out left Connolly has decent feet and speed, not a distance from McGeady.

I understand why there might be calls right now, and there is something of a debate to be had. Although not entirely four square, due to necessity, age and level, Glenn Whelan certainly had decent moments during the last Euro campaign, and there is no reason why McGeady wouldn't also. Like Whelan he has never stropped and retired, and when selected was always available. However, when we look a bit deeper, I think we do have options in this positions, and focussing on Horgan or O'Dowda overlooks the options that would be picked, with a full squad available.

We've got major problems selection-wise. We don't know who our most appropriate selection for keeper is, we don't know who our best striker is, our two key players (Coleman and Doherty) are struggling at club level, our most recent captain has had an exceptionally disappointing season at Celtic. Our traditional left-wing back has suffered from injury, one of our most selected CM's had to drop a division to get games. But these are problems that are beyond our wide men in the midfield-forward area.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 220>
  Share Topic