You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 197198199200201 220>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 11:39pm
If you've 93 caps, assists will generally come close to evening themselves out. The law of large numbers starts to kick in. You can't dismiss McGeady's assists over Duff on the basis of devaluing assists: Duff probably got as many dodgy assists as McGeady.
Sponsored Links

theworm2345 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theworm2345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 2:14am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

If you've 93 caps, assists will generally come close to evening themselves out. The law of large numbers starts to kick in. You can't dismiss McGeady's assists over Duff on the basis of devaluing assists: Duff probably got as many dodgy assists as McGeady.
I was quite surprised to find that since McGeady's debut in 2004, he does in fact have more assists than any player with 15 -- and even more surprised to find that 11 came in competitive matches.  However, the teams that these 11 came against might be instructive as to why those assists don't result in him being more well-loved: 

3-Faroe Islands, 2-Georgia, 1-Gibraltar, 1-Estonia, 1-Cyprus, 1-Armenia, 1-Andorra, 1-Croatia (St Ledger's goal at the Euros)

Since McGeady's debut, Duff had 9 assists in competitive matches: 4-Cyprus, 1-Switzerland, 1-Slovakia, 1-Czech Republic, 1-Israel, 1-France

So make of that what you will, I personally don't have a strong opinion either way on McGeady or the use of assists to just a player's value.  For example, Michael Duffy has led the League of Ireland in assists in the last two seasons, but no one is crying out for him to be included in national squads either instead of, or along with, Jack Byrne.

Edited by theworm2345 - 13 Dec 2019 at 2:17am
League of Ireland archive with reports back to 91/92 (goalscorers for First Division) now online, plus Twitter: twitter.com/StattoLOI
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 5:52am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Parkinson could well be gone before him, which is what most Sunderland fans seem to want.
If only.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 7:58am
Originally posted by theworm2345 theworm2345 wrote:

I was quite surprised to find that since McGeady's debut in 2004, he does in fact have more assists than any player with 15 -- and even more surprised to find that 11 came in competitive matches.  However, the teams that these 11 came against might be instructive as to why those assists don't result in him being more well-loved: 

3-Faroe Islands, 2-Georgia, 1-Gibraltar, 1-Estonia, 1-Cyprus, 1-Armenia, 1-Andorra, 1-Croatia (St Ledger's goal at the Euros)

Since McGeady's debut, Duff had 9 assists in competitive matches: 4-Cyprus, 1-Switzerland, 1-Slovakia, 1-Czech Republic, 1-Israel, 1-France

So make of that what you will, I personally don't have a strong opinion either way on McGeady or the use of assists to just a player's value.  For example, Michael Duffy has led the League of Ireland in assists in the last two seasons, but no one is crying out for him to be included in national squads either instead of, or along with, Jack Byrne.

A bit like the Robbie Keane argument... All of our other supposedly better players have had opportunities to do what McGeady has done against similar teams, but they didn't. Not only has he been a very good player for us, barring Robbie Keane he was perhaps our most important player under Trap. With Duff content to win endless fouls, McGeady was quite literally the singular creative spark in the side for a number of years.
We're decent enough..
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 8:28am
Can see him rejoining Jack Ross at Hibs on loan in the new year.....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 8:29am

You'd need to consider that we are likely to be scoring more goals against weaker opposition.

The same argument was used against Robbie Keane, in that he only scored against weaker opposition.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 8:37am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

You'd need to consider that we are likely to be scoring more goals against weaker opposition.

The same argument was used against Robbie Keane, in that he only scored against weaker opposition.

RK 68/146 - 0.466 per game

Owen/Shearer combined 70/151 - 0.464 per game

Says it all...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Can see him rejoining Jack Ross at Hibs on loan in the new year.....

Would be back to him being abused every away game like he was before he left Celtic. They're a bitter bunch the Scots. 
Andrew00 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 1:12am
Signs for Charlton on loan 
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 1:19am
Originally posted by Andrew00 Andrew00 wrote:

Signs for Charlton on loan 

Decent move for him going up to the Championship, although they are fighting relegation. Could it see him make his way back into the squad? 
Andrew00 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 2:58am
If he plays well within the new few weeks he's guaranteed to make the squad 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 8:24am
He won't make the squad, If he was ever going to be picked, he would have been included at the start of the campaign in the provisional squads.

It'll be interesting to see how he does.

Edited by horsebox - 31 Jan 2020 at 8:25am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 9:36am
no chance he will make the squad
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 11:25am
Absolutely buzzing to see him down the valley. He should have easily been in some of the Irish squads recently. He’s inconsistent but at least offers something, something which can’t be said for most of our attack. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 2:27pm
 On the bench today, cullen starts
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 11:01pm
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJrlS7M6PPw

Just goes to show there’s not much difference between Irish people and Scottish people. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJrlS7M6PPw
I watched all of that. Enjoyed it. McGeady comes across very well. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 197198199200201 220>
  Share Topic