Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 199200201202203 220>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 9:07pm
Finished watching the second season of Sunderland Till I Die. 

I know he's 35 in April but would love to see McGeady in the Irish squad if he was playing well and regularly over the next 3 months. 

If he isn't involved for the qualifiers he deserves a swansong (maybe against Qatar) or a testimonial for his service but couldn't see Kenny picking him unfortunately. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I know he's 35 in April but would love to see McGeady in the Irish squad if he was playing well and regularly over the next 3 months. 

If he isn't involved for the qualifiers he deserves a swansong (maybe against Qatar) or a testimonial for his service but couldn't see Kenny picking him unfortunately. 
He got a lot of criticism during his time with Ireland but he tried to create things and take on a man, we would probably be glad to see him in the team now. Played in two tournaments for us, scored 5 goals in a fairly reasonable career. 
On another note his Irish connection, his grandmother, passed away during the week in Donegal, she was a good friend of my own grandmother. 
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

He got a lot of criticism during his time with Ireland but he tried to create things and take on a man, we would probably be glad to see him in the team now. Played in two tournaments for us, scored 5 goals in a fairly reasonable career. 
On another note his Irish connection, his grandmother, passed away during the week in Donegal, she was a good friend of my own grandmother. 

He played over 90 games. An awful return. 
daveorourke77 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveorourke77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 12:09am
He always was a waste of space. A headless chicken with nothing in the way of end product.

I can't explain how this guy got around 90 senior international caps, even for Ireland.

His time has long since gone. If this what some fans are left clinging to then we really are f*cked.
www.about.me/daveorourke77
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 12:27am
Originally posted by daveorourke77 daveorourke77 wrote:

He always was a waste of space. A headless chicken with nothing in the way of end product.

I can't explain how this guy got around 90 senior international caps, even for Ireland.

His time has long since gone. If this what some fans are left clinging to then we really are f*cked.

We're picking Curtis and Harness from the same division still though. He shouldn't be in the reckoning, no. But playing well he's still better than what we have 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 8:26am

I think this is a little harsh anyway

I do agree that he never fulfilled his potential like so many others and his 90 cap return is astonishing for a player that will never really ever be remembered as a great.

But a testimonial or swan song? I get the sentiment but I really don’t think that would be necessary tbh 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 8:54am
Bizarre the amount of criticism Aiden got when playing for us. The amount of caps he got highlights his loyalty, and if still in his younger years, would currently be our best player by a long way.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 11:08am
I often found him to be scapegoat amongst our fans his 2 against Georgia played there part in your 2 weeks on the piss in France. For Euro 2012 qualifying he topped the table for assists as someone here said before if Callum o Dowda or Robinson has the Ireland career McGeady did everyone would be delighted. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 11:17am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

I often found him to be scapegoat amongst our fans his 2 against Georgia played there part in your 2 weeks on the piss in France. For Euro 2012 qualifying he topped the table for assists as someone here said before if Callum o Dowda or Robinson has the Ireland career McGeady did everyone would be delighted. 

Without the wonderful (late) strike against Georgia in our first game there is no way we would have been in France 2016.

That goal/win give us the momentum going forward. 
Late strikes against Poland at home and Germany away was due to the fact we were still in it. 

McGeady did frustrate me as I felt we was a better player than he showed for Ireland. But he always turned up and kept going despite the abuse he got.
I’d like to see his stats for assists as I’m sure they show his contribution was better than his goal return suggests.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 11:59am
McGeady was never a waste of space in an Ireland shirt. Always gave his all. He was a great out ball for us with his pace. His club career might have been better for him but every cap he won for us was deserved.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 12:24pm
I think the difficulty is there are fans who see McGeady as borderline world class in his heyday, and others who see him as flattering to deceive with excellent touches, pacy runs, and an ability to beat his man, but with little enough end product, over the course of 93 internationals.

Much like Shane Long not reaching the 20 goal mark (having hit 17 before the age of 30), McGeady should have had enough in the tank to become another member of the Irish 100 Club. But like a number of players of that vintage, his development seemed to stall after turning 30, and fans even questioned whether he should have been brought to Euro 2016 after a very difficult club season.

I'm not sure what benefit there would be in bringing him back, any more than trying to build a team with Long etc, based on a previous reputation, and the fact that unlike the League 1 players like Curtis, who is being discussed in terms of moves to the Championship, McGeady is unlikely to be in the thoughts of a high flying Championship team.

I'll always like McGeady, and I think there is still a much better player there than his years at a third tier team suggests, however, I think he is of an age where we should move on.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I think this is a little harsh anyway

I do agree that he never fulfilled his potential like so many others and his 90 cap return is astonishing for a player that will never really ever be remembered as a great.

But a testimonial or swan song? I get the sentiment but I really don’t think that would be necessary tbh 

A player who was maligned and criticized as much as Glenn Whelan,  I think it's McGeady deserves a send off or at least a pre-match/half-time presentation of some sort.   

Edited by irishmufc - 27 Dec 2020 at 12:53pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 12:59pm
McGeady was sensational for a few years in the middle of his Ireland career, top class really. He probably fell below expectations in the early and latter parts of his time with us though, so there is some truth to both sides of the argument. He was definitely never a waste of space though, whether he was brilliant or profligate he always gave 100% 
DR.HUGO View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DR.HUGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 7:18pm
Aidan’s only weakness was end product....poor crossing and wanting to beat his man more than once....that said delighted to see him out of exile and back in the Sunderland team...no issues with him coming back for Ireland either as he’s the kind of player we should play against the weaker teams when we need goals.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 7:29pm
As much as i like Aidan as stated previously i dont think anyone is seriously considering him for a return under Kenny. We have to move on for good or bad.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 11:16am
I’d say Horseys missus is walking funny today Clap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 11:44am
LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

I’d say Horseys missus is walking funny today Clap
??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 199200201202203 220>
  Share Topic