You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 195196197198199 220>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:21pm
Hard to say as it's a very different type of football in the LOI. We probably over rate the best LOI players too. But if I was a good young Irish player who has been let go by a Premier league team I think I'd do a year or two in the LOI and then try to get back to a bigger English club rather than go to league 1 or league 2.
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:24pm
The LOI is nowhere near the same standard as L1.

L1 is a professional setup and only Dundalk and Rovers are full time AFAIK.

The money in L1 is a lot higher too.

More importantly, your not a professional player playing the EPL.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The LOI is nowhere near the same standard as L1.

L1 is a professional setup and only Dundalk and Rovers are full time AFAIK.

The money in L1 is a lot higher too.

More importantly, your not a professional player playing the EPL.
I’m not sure who is or isn’t full-time anymore but you are correct. The league over here is on a completely different footing to the LOI. Sure, some players will come through the LOI and there will be the odd decent result in Europe, but it is apples and oranges really. You would want to be incredibly deluded to think otherwise. Wanting it doesn’t make it truth!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 3:34pm
Would LOI even be league 2 standard? 

Even leaving that aside. Jack Byrne deserves to be in the squad on merit despite the lower standard of LOI and arguably McGeady does if he continues to play well over the next few weeks. 

Another McGeady special in Georgia wouldn't go amiss. Clap

Edited by irishmufc - 16 Sep 2019 at 3:37pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

League 1 is odd, it is an amalgam of forever PL teams and non league teams. The difficulties with Bury and Bolton makes it even more odd.

I think the LOI gives players a chance to stand out more, especially with European Competition available, but I would have thought most League 1 sides would have the beating of most LOI teams if they were meeting each other on a weekly basis.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 3:51pm
L1 standard is much higher than LOI overall. You get some players who could play at a higher level and maybe dundalk would hold their own in L1 but on a hole, I think LOI would be more comparable to conference national league in my opinion. 

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 5:45pm
McGeady is the best player in L1 full stop. If you were to give any L1 team the choice between him and Judge, you can be sure they'd pick McGeady. I don't know why we'd be any different.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Even leaving that aside. Jack Byrne deserves to be in the squad on merit despite the lower standard of LOI and arguably McGeady does if he continues to play well over the next few weeks. 

Another McGeady special in Georgia wouldn't go amiss. Clap
The gulf in professionalism between League 2 and the LOI is there. No way a LOI could cope with 46 games in the league. The gulf in wages and interest is big too. It really isn’t fair to compare it anymore.
DR.HUGO View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DR.HUGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 7:34pm
Aidan’s time is probably gone and while he has undoubtedly great talent and yes I agree he scored important goals for us he was incredibly frustrating with regards to his final ball he did it with Ireland and I’ve seen it with Sunderland too God help yes I follow them LOL......so Mick’s right not to pick him in my opinion 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:18am
I was more playing devils advocate. Mick loves a league 1 player who came on against the Danes and Swiss so it's not like he didn't get minutes. McGeady is without a doubt a better player with better statistics but Mick wouldn't dream of looking at him. As much as Mick is doing a good job, some of his decisions do baffle me being honest. 

But as I keep saying, qualify us for the tournament and it doesn't matter a f**k.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:53am
It's the same with all managers though. They'll always have their favorites and pick players that fans with think otherwise.

But it becomes irrelevant when the manager is winning games and qualifying for tournaments.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 8:15pm
Missed a pen there
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 11:13pm
Dreadful penalty. He was denied a great goal by their keeper though.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 7:28pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 8:01pm
Parkinson could well be gone before him, which is what most Sunderland fans seem to want.
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 8:07pm
An entire 30 minutes to jump in to Mcgeady's defence O'Shea? Shocked
Is your Love for the ginger wonder ebbing? Broken Heart
Could still be our wildcard for the Euro playoffs surely?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 8:28pm
Ok so the rules on this forum seem to be; don't defend, praise or have anything positive to say about mcgeady or Hendrick and never under any circumstances criticise or offer a negative opinion of McClean or Whelan.

belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 8:50pm
What has he done to upset Parkinson??

You'd imagine a top end championship club would still be interested.....although he might be happy to collect his wages until end of season
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 195196197198199 220>
  Share Topic