Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 180181182183184 220>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

Aiden McGeady 

92 Ireland Caps, 2 tournaments, one young player of the year award
3 SPL winners medals, 2 Scottish Cups, 2 Scottish league Cups
6 player, young player or fans player of the year awards at Celtic 
4 SPFA player, young player or team of the year awards
SPL young player of the year
BBC Sportsound Player of the year
8 Player of the month awards
Russian League top 33 player member
PNE player of the year
I notice the predominant use of the word 'young' in the above list.

The penny will drop with you eventually.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:25am
I've been a fan of McGeady throughout his career. But, as always, I have to look at his career objectively. He was a great prospect when he arrived on the scene but never fulfilled the potential. When he first arrived on the scene as an 18 year old against Hearts we were thinking that Celtic wouldn't hold onto him for long and that a top EPL side would come in for him. The fact he played most of his career in Scotland, the championship and Russia would back up that he never reached the levels that were once expected.
His main attributes are good close control, dribbling ability and skill.
The main negatives to his game throughout his career have been crossing, final ball, decision making, a weak shot from outside the box, he's never been the strongest, and he hasn't got blistering pace.

You can point to 92 caps all you like, but then look at his goal tally. And one of those was a deflected effort that he was lucky to get. How many great games has he had for Ireland in those 92 games?

I can't fault his commitment to the Irish team. Never cried off with injuries or pulled out of many squads from memory. He's been a good servant in that sense.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 24 Apr 2018 at 10:26am
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:59am
I like McGeady but i'll agree he can sometimes be the most frustrating player for us. As Baggio points out his final ball sometimes lacks and his decision making at times can be terrible i.e. instead of crossing when he has the chance he'll cut back inside and take on the man he just beat again often losing the ball.

I've often described him as all bling but no sparkle
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Aiden McGeady 

PNE player of the year

LOL if he doesn't get it now he never will.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I've a feeling if McGeady had a Dublin accent people would be cumming in their trunks over him...just a theory. 

Spot on mate. I'm yet to see anyone on here ever be in any way critical of Stephen Ward, Jeff Hendrick or Robbie Brady. 
Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile Now I could say something
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Aiden McGeady 

PNE player of the year

LOL if he doesn't get it now he never will.

El Puto Amo
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:54pm

I've a feeling if McGeady had a Dublin accent people would be cumming in their trunks over him...just a theory. 

Spot on mate. I'm yet to see anyone on here ever be in any way critical of Stephen Ward, Jeff Hendrick or Robbie Brady. 
Jesus you mustn't have looked at many threads on YBIG so. Poor Stephen Ward was consistently written off and I'm one of many here who don't buy the Robbie Brady hype that started after the Euros. I like El Jefé though.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Jesus you mustn't have looked at many threads on YBIG so. Poor Stephen Ward was consistently written off and I'm one of many here who don't buy the Robbie Brady hype that started after the Euros. I like El Jefé though.

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:49pm
LOL
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Fairly impressive career for an "if only" LOL if only what? He'd got a move to Barcelona?

If only he was able to utilise his ability to even close to it's potential, to be floundering in the Championship and now in League 1, and a Premier League cast off wasn't exactly the highs he or others would have predicted in the earlier part of his career.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:34pm
Aido always had the skill but while their were the high points such as the two late goals in Georgia he cpuld be such a frustrating player but as has been said on here he was always up for it for Ireland but he could have done so much more. 
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 6:31pm

Aiden McGeady 

PNE player of the year

Aye what if indeed. He's a gantleman, carved out a great professional career for himself across three countries. Represented Ireland with pride almost 100 times at senior and since u17. 

Do you have these feelings often Fintan? I am probably best placed to help you seeing I am a doctor and from Dublin
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 6:33pm
Whats a "gantleman"?
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Whats a "gantleman"?
I think Fintan has a stuttery  finger
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:26pm
McGeady has done plenty for Ireland and in his career. We'd kill to have some of our up and coming players have the career he's had playing in top League's and competition's. I don't see how he's underachieved when he's played 92 times for us, in 2 European Championship's and made 55 European appearances for his clubs.
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Jaysus LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

McGeady has done plenty for Ireland and in his career. We'd kill to have some of our up and coming players have the career he's had playing in top League's and competition's. I don't see how he's underachieved when he's played 92 times for us, in 2 European Championship's and made 55 European appearances for his clubs.

Bang on, he's been one of our most influential players of the last decade. The fact some seemed to overinflate their expectations of him when he first broke through doesn't alter the fact he's had a very good career. It's not necessarily him "failing to fulfil his potential"; it's just as logical to say you overestimated his potential....
We're decent enough..
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:55pm
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14533319.What_has_happened_to_Aiden_McGeady__The_boy_who_was_supposed_to_be_a_football_superstar/
From a few years ago, but highlights how highly rated he was as a youngster and how his potential looked massive at one stage.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 25 Apr 2018 at 1:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 180181182183184 220>
  Share Topic