You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An apology for Heysel ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Barna Bee Barna Bee wrote:

As a young fella I supported Liverpool but when this tragedy unfolded across the TV screen from Belgium I fell away from footbal completely, not just Liverpool but all football, for years I hated it .

Only in the last 15 years have i come back to the fold, now supporting both Spurs and Ireland !

I am not joking or sl*gging when I say Heysel wrecked everything for me back then . I was trully shoked by The Liverpool Fans .

As far as i'm concerned they never apologised and when they did it was way too late . To be honest i take all this Justtice for the 96 with a very large pinch of salt. Liverpool FC of all clubs should have understood about justice .....so saying sorry to Everton ....big deal Kenny et al....say sorry to the families of the 39 crushed becasue of the charge of your clubs fans !!! that would be more like it 

Shocked
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Barna Bee Barna Bee wrote:

As a young fella I supported Liverpool but when this tragedy unfolded across the TV screen from Belgium I fell away from footbal completely, not just Liverpool but all football, for years I hated it .

Only in the last 15 years have i come back to the fold, now supporting both Spurs and Ireland !

I am not joking or sl*gging when I say Heysel wrecked everything for me back then . I was trully shoked by The Liverpool Fans .

As far as i'm concerned they never apologised and when they did it was way too late . To be honest i take all this Justtice for the 96 with a very large pinch of salt. Liverpool FC of all clubs should have understood about justice .....so saying sorry to Everton ....big deal Kenny et al....say sorry to the families of the 39 crushed becasue of the charge of your clubs fans !!! that would be more like it 

Shocked

when I say supported , I use the term very loosely , I didnt really support any team and had no real affinity to any team in Engalnd . I used support Galway United ....truth be told ( in the true sense of being a supporter)...it was probably more like having a  familiarity of Liverpool listening to mates about them 
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 4:12pm
Juventus got their apology for the riots in 2005. Liverpool laid out the red carpet for them for the Anfield leg. It wasn't appreciated and in the second leg in Turin, Juve fans hunted for more trouble, and had their own riot before the game. 

Before the 84 Final, Liverpool fans were repeatedly assaulted in Rome and even today, fans of English clubs are often attacked when their team plays games in Italy. The most recent been Spurs fans when they played Lazio in Rome. In 1985, hooliganism was rampant among English fans in Europe. There were many riots in stadiums and widespread destruction away from the stadiums. The difference with Heysel was the stadium was fundamentally unsafe, and so the wall gave way. No walls give way during the most violent riots today. UEFA were warned not to have a neutral section separating the fans on the same terrace. They failed to heed the warning, and mayhem erupted on the night. 

It could just as easily have been Liverpool fans on that wall. The easy thing to do was to put the entire blame for what happened at Liverpool's door, and UEFA duly did, when it was easily preventable in advance. Today, UEFA still sell tickets for Neutral zones at finals and championships. So they still haven't learned their own lessons from Heysel. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Juventus got their apology for the riots in 2005. Liverpool laid out the red carpet for them for the Anfield leg. It wasn't appreciated and in the second leg in Turin, Juve fans hunted for more trouble, and had their own riot before the game. 

Before the 84 Final, Liverpool fans were repeatedly assaulted in Rome and even today, fans of English clubs are often attacked when their team plays games in Italy. The most recent been Spurs fans when they played Lazio in Rome. In 1985, hooliganism was rampant among English fans in Europe. There were many riots in stadiums and widespread destruction away from the stadiums. The difference with Heysel was the stadium was fundamentally unsafe, and so the wall gave way. No walls give way during the most violent riots today. UEFA were warned not to have a neutral section separating the fans on the same terrace. They failed to heed the warning, and mayhem erupted on the night. 

It could just as easily have been Liverpool fans on that wall. The easy thing to do was to put the entire blame for what happened at Liverpool's door, and UEFA duly did, when it was easily preventable in advance. Today, UEFA still sell tickets for Neutral zones at finals and championships. So they still haven't learned their own lessons from Heysel. 

But that's the point the article is trying to make.20 years later is a long time. I completely agree with your post about UEFA. Their negligence was and overreaction was disgraceful. They used Heysel as an excuse to make an example of English teams instead of getting their own house in order. It was a long time coming when Liverpool took responsibility for their 'fans' part in it but certainly the responsibility for the disaster shouldn't fall solely at Liverpool's door either

Edited by irishmufc - 07 Apr 2014 at 4:30pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 4:47pm

Juventus got their apology for the riots in 2005. Liverpool laid out the blood stained carpet for them for the Anfield leg. It wasn't appreciated and in the second leg in Turin, Juve fans hunted for more trouble, and had their own riot before the game. 

Before the 84 Final, Liverpool fans were repeatedly assaulted in Rome and even today, fans of English clubs are often attacked when their team plays games in Italy. The most recent been Spurs fans when they played Lazio in Rome. In 1985, hooliganism was rampant among English fans in Europe. There were many riots in stadiums and widespread destruction away from the stadiums. The difference with Heysel was the stadium was fundamentally unsafe, and so the wall gave way when Juve fled to escape being attacked by drunken scum. No walls give way during the most violent riots today. UEFA were warned not to have a neutral section separating the fans on the same terrace. They failed to heed the warning, and mayhem erupted on the night. 

Simple Fact - If Liverpool fans had not charged at the Juve fans, this would not have happened and those people would not have perished. Despite the state of the ground, it was still down to animalistic behaviour that caused those Deaths. Don't go looking for someone else to blame. It's never your fault, my arse.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 07 Apr 2014 at 4:51pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Simple Fact - If Liverpool fans had not charged at the Juve fans, this would not have happened. Despite the state of the ground, it was still down to animalistic behaviour that caused those Deaths. Don't go looking for someone else to blame. It's never your fault.
I think the point he's making is that this behaviour happened week in week out across England every Saturday afternoon and across Europe whenever England or English teams played.

That night a wall collapsed and tragedy happened.
It could have happened before but didnt same as Hillsborough could have happened numerouis times before it actually did.

I dont think he is excusing Liverpool fans behaviour at all.

corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:00pm

Juventus fans's view on it all.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Simple Fact - If Liverpool fans had not charged at the Juve fans, this would not have happened. Despite the state of the ground, it was still down to animalistic behaviour that caused those Deaths. Don't go looking for someone else to blame. It's never your fault.
I think the point he's making is that this behaviour happened week in week out across England every Saturday afternoon and across Europe whenever England or English teams played.

That night a wall collapsed and tragedy happened.
It could have happened before but didnt same as Hillsborough could have happened numerouis times before it actually did.

I dont think he is excusing Liverpool fans behaviour at all.

That's a legitimate point but the fact was Liverpool as a club took a long time to address it (out of shame or whatever reason), and fully acknowledge their fans own role in it. To just say "a wall collapsed and tragedy happened" belies the fact of what caused the wall to collapse in the first place 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

They're really paying tribute to the families of the 39 there.Unhappy Dirtbags 

Edited by irishmufc - 07 Apr 2014 at 5:04pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:06pm

That's fairly disgraceful in fairness.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:07pm
The wall collapsed because the stadium was fundamentally unsafe and not fit for purpose. They even admit it in the article. 

How UEFA felt it was ok, to allocate a "Neutral Zone" to "separate" teams from two of the worst countries for hooliganism at the time, knowing that local fans of both sides would buy tickets for that section, beggars belief. 

I think it's common knowledge also, that there were fans of other English clubs in the Liverpool section. And at the time, they were only at games for one reason. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

That's fairly disgraceful in fairness.

Indeed..........
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:08pm
the banner is in very bad taste, but they're 100% right to tell liverpool to get f**ked with their friendship banner and red carpet gesture 20 years after the event. Their lack of empathy for Hillsborough is understandable, but this banner is too far. 

Edited by Citizen - 07 Apr 2014 at 5:13pm
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

the banner is in very bad taste, but they're 100% right to tell liverpool to get f**ked with their friendship and red carpet gesture 20 years after the event. Their lack of empathy for Hillsborough is understandable, but this banner is too far. 
Thumbs Up
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:12pm

The wall collapsed because the stadium was fundamentally unsafe and not fit for purpose. They even admit it in the article. 

How UEFA felt it was ok, to allocate a "Neutral Zone" to "separate" teams from two of the worst countries for hooliganism at the time, knowing that local fans of both sides would buy tickets for that section, beggars belief. 

I think it's common knowledge also, that there were fans of other English clubs in the Liverpool section. And at the time, they were only at games for one reason. 

The wall collapsed due to the extreme pressure applied from the weight of people pushed against it trying to escape being attacked.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:15pm
Despite all this, Liverpool fans say this about Chelsea.

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Horrible club, horrible fans
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:19pm
The collapse of the wall relived pressure and therefore saved more people from being crushed.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
hulkhogan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hulkhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:26pm

Liverpool fans goading everton over Bucharest winning in 1986 as everton were banned..disgraceful carry on
Whacha gonna do
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
  Share Topic