You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keiren Westwood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 51>
Author
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanemuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 7:43pm
I think he is such a dish of a man.
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

An injury-prone goalkeeper really what any of them need. I saw reports a few months ago linking Rob Elliot with Leeds, that night be a better move for them and from an Irish POV.

Westwood begs to differ.

Maybe he does, but his injury record tells a different story. He's a very good keeper, arguably the best in the Championship, but injuries have undoubtedly hampered his career.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 11:28pm
Westwood has been linked with Stoke having been demoted to 3rd choice at Sheffield Wednesday by Jos Luhukay.
We're decent enough..
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 11:54pm

Westwood has been linked with Stoke having been demoted to 3rd choice at Sheffield Wednesday by Jos Luhukay.

Who is the other keeper ahead of him?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Who is the other keeper ahead of him?

Dawson and Wildsmith are ahead of him; the manager's reasoning being that they're younger and less injury-prone.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 2:52am
He is far better than either of them, he is worth the risk with injuries. He was the best keeper at that level for a few years running.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 10:37am
He's streets ahead of them, but that won't change his situation unfortunately. He's coming up on 34, so he can't afford to wait around in the reserves for a chance.
We're decent enough..
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 10:40am

He's streets ahead of them, but that won't change his situation unfortunately. He's coming up on 34, so he can't afford to wait around in the reserves for a chance.

In fairness 34 as a goalkeeper hes probable got 3-4 years left in him if he stays fit
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 10:47am
Westwood is over rated on this forum I've always thought.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

In fairness 34 as a goalkeeper hes probable got 3-4 years left in him if he stays fit

That's a big if
We're decent enough..
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Westwood is over rated on this forum I've always thought.

Big time, average Championship keeper at best ...and now an average injury prone keeper heading towards his twilight. A grand back up if hes playing regularly, but otherwise its time to move on.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 1:20pm
Surely it's unusual for an average keeper to be regularly cited (and indeed, voted for) as the best keeper in the Championship? He's very good, unfortunately I fear his age and fitness are catching up with him. It's a pity, as it may well be the case that Randolph is now our only starting goalkeeper in the top 3 divisions of English football and the SPL.....
We're decent enough..
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 2:45pm

Surely it's unusual for an average keeper to be regularly cited (and indeed, voted for) as the best keeper in the Championship? He's very good, unfortunately I fear his age and fitness are catching up with him. It's a pity, as it may well be the case that Randolph is now our only starting goalkeeper in the top 3 divisions of English football and the SPL.....

Lawlor starts for Doncaster Rovers in League One, although that isn’t much of a consolation admittedly 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 3:07pm
Lawlor looked very good when I saw him the season before last, albeit that was in League Two. He certainly looks good enough to play at a higher level.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Lawlor starts for Doncaster Rovers in League One, although that isn’t much of a consolation admittedly 

He didn't start at the weekend and was out of the side for most of the 2nd half of last season. 

The situation is actually quite worrying; in the Premier League we've got Elliot and Murphy who will be 2nd/3rd choices this year, and then there's Kelleher, O'Hara, Hewelt, and Travers who are further down the pecking order. In the Championship, Randolph is the only guaranteed starter. We then have a whole raft of guys (Bossin, Henderson, Bunn, Lonergan, Westwood, Bonham) who will be back-ups at best this season.  Bailey Peacock-Farrell looks like he'll be Leeds' first choice, bit I'd say it's too late to convince him to play for us rather than the north. In L1, we have Lawlor and O'Malley who are in-and-out of their sides. Finally, in the SPL there's Colin Doyle and Danny Rogers, both of whom were on the bench last weekend.

Perhaps it's worth sounding out Alex McCarthy, but I don't rate him that highly if I'm honest. The obvious alternative that MON has missed is Sean McDermott, who is playing regularly (and seemingly well) in the Norwegian league.

Edited by The O'Shea - 08 Aug 2018 at 4:47pm
We're decent enough..
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 4:57pm

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

He didn't start at the weekend and was out of the side for most of the 2nd half of last season. 

The situation is actually quite worrying; in the Premier League we've got Elliot and Murphy who will be 2nd/3rd choices this year, and then there's Kelleher, O'Hara, Hewelt, and Travers who are further down the pecking order. In the Championship, Randolph is the only guaranteed starter. We then have a whole raft of guys (Bossin, Henderson, Bunn, Lonergan, Westwood, Bonham) who will be back-ups at best this season.  Bailey Peacock-Farrell looks like he'll be Leeds' first choice, bit I'd say it's too late to convince him to play for us rather than the north. In L1, we have Lawlor and O'Malley who are in-and-out of their sides. Finally, in the SPL there's Colin Doyle and Danny Rogers, both of whom were on the bench last weekend.

Perhaps it's worth sounding out Alex McCarthy, but I don't rate him that highly if I'm honest. The obvious alternative that MON has missed is Sean McDermott, who is playing regularly (and seemingly well) in the Norwegian league.

agree it is a worrying and a big cause for concern. with that in mind, actually of some importance imo that westwood moves whether on loan or permanently, as he is next in line to Randolph and for a time was pushing him for the no1 jersey. he has been very good for sheff wed last few yrs when healthy so it seems a bit harsh on him to be left out in the cold but he could certainly be first choice elsewhere in the championship.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 7:15pm
On the subject of our goalkeeping woes, I was having a look to see what Brentford's squad is like after Cannice Carroll's transfer.

Haven't ever heard of him before, but Jack Bonham is now Brentford's second choice goalkeeper. He's a 24-year-old English born 'keeper who played over forty games on loan in League 2 last season. 

He has represented us at under-17s.

Now I'm not saying he's the answer to any of our problems and have no clue if he's any good, but the Championship is a pretty hectic league fixtures wise and if he was to get a few games this season, he'd probably find himself getting linked with a call-up, such is our situation at the moment.

Does anyone know if he's any good? He's still pretty young for a goalie.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 7:51pm
He was absolutely atrocious in his earlier years, but he has apparently improved a bit over the last 18 months. He'll never be international standard though I would think.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 51>
  Share Topic