You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Andy Gray fired by sky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

Stelling, Merson and Redknapp doing the Brum v West Ham game.

Stelling normally does the Carling Cup IIRC
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
criostoir Óg View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 1:43pm
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Críostóir Óg Críostóir Óg wrote:

Keys has resigned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9376139.stm

It's on the previous page Big%20smile
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 5:12pm
Keys gone deadly news..speaking of.. News of the World ahve sacked an editor over the phone tapping celebrity scandal and the police are reopening the investigation. Seems Rupert the scare is doing a big spring clean.

Will be interesting to see if it has any affect on the tabloids in Britain..doubt it. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 8:31am
The Guardian's secret footballer:

What if Sky Sports offered me Andy Gray's job? Not a chance. Let me tell you something, football pundits are universally despised by players and not just because at some point in the past they would have been on the receiving end of criticism themselves.

It doesn't matter what you've done in the game, where you've played, what you might have won or how much money you earned – pundits are held in the same regard by players as female assistant referees once were at Sky.

And while on that subject, prepare to be disappointed. While I found the whole episode with Gray and Richard Keys at Molineux cringeworthy, inside the world of football nobody is particularly bothered. Don't interpret that as evidence that players are condoning Gray and Keys for their behaviour. It's more a case that most of my team-mates would have no interest in listening to anything pundits say in the first place.

There's no obvious reason why those sat on the sofa are thought of in such low terms, but it may have something to do with a sense that they are going against the inner sanctum that we pretend we are a part of. Perhaps, subconsciously, it tugs at those still playing, who realise the ex-players know things about them that they probably wish they didn't.

Their new position of influence over millions of people is a little uncomfortable for some, I'm sure, and their failure to go the extra mile when analysing matches can also grate.

Switch to our world and the level of detail that goes into games still, to this day, amazes me. Every player has his own script, what to do, when to do it, information on the player he's up against, including weight, height, age, strengths, weaknesses, even what that opponent is likely to do when the ball comes to him in certain situations. We memorise every single set piece, where we have to stand, run and end up. We even memorise this for the other players so we know where everyone else will be at any given time.

You know that pass when you say to yourself: "How did he spot that?" Often he didn't need to; he knew the player would be there because, the night before in the hotel, he read about the runs he would be making.

It's exactly the same pass after which sometimes you might find yourself saying: "Who was that to?" The receiving player either forgot to be there or was taken out of the game by a tactical manoeuvre by his opposite number.

Football at this level is very chess-like, maybe not to those outside of football but certainly to those inside. I sometimes wonder whether it's more enjoyable playing lower down the leagues. After all, who wants to play chess?

With top-level football being so complex, it is very difficult to deconstruct a live game within a couple of minutes of it being over, and because of this the "analysis" is usually reduced to goals and individual performance. But the fact that many pundits don't even try to scratch beneath the surface, despite knowing what it takes to win a match at this level, annoys me. It's the trivialisation of what we do by people that we used to call our own and, more importantly, deprives the viewer of some very interesting tit-bits that would, I feel, add to the entertainment.

Anyone can navigate a giant iPad, sliding faces of famous players around with their pinkie while throwing out phrases like "Third man run" and other such rubbish. What particularly riles me is when you hear a pundit or co-commentator say something like, "I can't understand, Martin, why Drogba is not on the post here. That header would have fallen to him and if I'm Petr Cech I'm saying: 'Go on son, clear that off the line for me!'"

The fact is corners are routinely cleared by a man stationed on the six-yard line, exactly where Chelsea position Didier Drogba. If somebody scores inside that post it is for no other reason than a player having lost his man. That is the mistake. If there is a player on the post he will clear one, possibly two shots off the line a season. If that same player stands on the six-yard line he will probably clear 100 corners away over the course of the season.

The worst thing, though, is when this dross gets into popular culture and my friends start saying stupid things to me like, "We should have a man on the post, our manager doesn't know what he's doing", just because it sounds like the right thing to say. It's such an easy way of analysing that it infuriates me. It's lazy and it takes you, the viewer, for a fool. But, then again, Sky is an expert in creating a villain.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 11:10am
was at a bar earlier today and they had a selection of the sunday papers for the customers to look at. Anyway had a quick look through a few of the rags that were on offer. Now firstly i cant stand Andy Gray or the plank of wood he works alongside coz they are rubbish. Keys is so boring its unreal and gray talks the biggest load of steaming horse manure. Anyway I came across 'stories' of moral outrage over their antics.  In the Sunday World one absolute dope of a female Irish 'journo' described her creepy encounter with Keys and Gray last year. When you read the story and i use that term loosely her best attempt to show Grays sexist remarks to her amounted to him telling her to 'dont drop it' in reference to her lifting the premier league trophy to have her photo taken with it.  Shock horror. The sexist pig! 

The same paper has pictures of half naked chicks all over it so seems a bit hypocritical all this sexist outrage they are peddling. One gimp was calling them 'cavemen' and said that Keys or gray had never even worked in football. What a clown Gray was a player and assistant manager at Villa pre sky sports!

Another rag had an interview with an ex sky sports employee who claims Gray and his pals ruined her life with their sexism and forced her into bankruptcy and divorce! haha

As I said hate the pair of them anyway but not coz of all this sh*te but its so fookin sad all these tabloid bog roll excuse for a papers jumping on the moral bandwagon when they are the scum of the earth themselves just looking for another victim to prey on.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 11:22am
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

The fact is corners are routinely cleared by a man stationed on the six-yard line, exactly where Chelsea position Didier Drogba. If somebody scores inside that post it is for no other reason than a player having lost his man. That is the mistake. If there is a player on the post he will clear one, possibly two shots off the line a season. If that same player stands on the six-yard line he will probably clear 100 corners away over the course of the season.

The worst thing, though, is when this dross gets into popular culture and my friends start saying stupid things to me like, "We should have a man on the post, our manager doesn't know what he's doing", just because it sounds like the right thing to say. It's such an easy way of analysing that it infuriates me. It's lazy and it takes you, the viewer, for a fool. But, then again, Sky is an expert in creating a villain.

Interesting article. I'm not sure i'd agree with this part though. Rafael was on the back post for a corner against Blackpool last week. While the ball was coming in Rafael moved accross and the ball was headed in where he should have been standing. Same thing happened to United against Bayern last year. Robben volleyed in from a corner where there was noone standing on that right hand post (co-incidently Rafal had been sent off at this stage so nobody was covering it). There's still merit in keeping someone on both posts.

67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:26am
Didn't take them too long to find new employers.
Richard Keys and Andy Gray join TalkSport

The TalkSport programme director, Moz Dee, described the signing as a "sensational coup" for the station.

"The events of the last couple of weeks have been a lesson and have changed them," said Dee.

"One thing that hasn't changed however is that they are two iconic broadcasters who have a wealth of experience in the world of sport and that's what we have to do now – move forward with them as sports broadcasters.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Didn't take them too long to find new employers.
Richard Keys and Andy Gray join TalkSport

The TalkSport programme director, Moz Dee, described the signing as a "sensational coup" for the station.

"The events of the last couple of weeks have been a lesson and have changed them," said Dee.

"One thing that hasn't changed however is that they are two iconic broadcasters who have a wealth of experience in the world of sport and that's what we have to do now – move forward with them as sports broadcasters.

Hard luck to talksport. Theyve just employed 2 of the most boring presenter/pundits in the business.

Rostrevor Fan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rostrevor Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 4:20am
I see Mike Parry has left Talksport (its his slot they are taking over) although the station stated that this was not the reason for his departure - He was one of their better presenters 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 4:48am

The station said Parry decided to leave before they hired the sexists.

Should be interesting to see how they fair on a radio station where the presenters usually speak their mind. A bit of a change from the control freak employers at sky.

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Rostrevor Fan Rostrevor Fan wrote:

I see Mike Parry has left Talksport (its his slot they are taking over) although the station stated that this was not the reason for his departure - He was one of their better presenters 

Be serious for once RF
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 9:10am
Give summerby the job!
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 9:14am

Its such a joy now to watch a game on sky without the sound of that andy gray ****s voice

packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

Its such a joy now to watch a game on sky without the sound of that andy gray ****s voice

agreed Q, but i listen to talksport every morning in the van, what am I to do now, cos I cant listen to this pair of clowns EVER. Gray is like the bully dominating the wimp keys.
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 1:16pm
''Dunphy to get sky job''

Fergie is a clown!  Wenger has lost the plot. No no no no no!

AndyMc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

''Dunphy to get sky job''

Fergie is a clown!  Wenger has lost the plot. No no no no no!

Ronaldo is a fake. Kaka is reality.
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by packiesglove packiesglove wrote:

Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

agreed Q, but i listen to talksport every morning in the van, what am I to do now, cos I cant listen to this pair of clowns EVER. Gray is like the bully dominating the wimp keys.

you gonna chnage channel now paul ? hope to be round your neck of the woods sunday week Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic